Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Question BRAKING -- Truck seems to slide when braking??

I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 liter with stabilizer, full tow package.

It pulls our 30' Premier TT, dry weight of 5750, not sure of loaded weight.

I've noticed before that when braking even on flat ground, it seems like the trailer brakes don't work? i.e. the truck slides a little if I have to brake harder than usual.

Anybody know if I have a problem, where and what to do?

Thanks for any help!
doodlebug52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

Get that sorted out before you kill somebody. Have you changed the setting on the controller or tried applying the trailer brakes with the lever? If nothing happens see if power is reaching the connector on the truck and work back from there. The trailer to truck connection could be dirty.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #3

When I bought my old TT before I even towed it home I drove to a large open parking lot and adjusted the brake controller. A good rule of thumb is to adjust it so when only the trailer brake is applied the controller will supply enough voltage to the trailer brakes to slow the trailer without causing the wheels to lock up. Once you have done that you will need make minor adjustments while towing to tailor the setting to accommodate the driving conditions. Keep in mind that you want the maximum stopping power with out wheel lock up.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

One thing to try--when hooked up, pull the emergency cable and see if the trailer will move. If the brakes are locked, they are working ok. Don't leave the cable pin out too long, as full battery amperage is being applied.
If the trailer brakes will lock with the emergency pin pulled, and don't work right with the truck, it will be in the controller or wiring.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
How old are your brakes??

First off do as "Wingnut60" suggests and check that the brakes are working at all.

Also if your unit is older when was the last time you had the brakes serviced, as the pads wear you will need to adjust your brake controller accordingly however yearly preventative maintenance should not be ignored. Checking your brakes yearly (either yourself or a service department) should be high on your "to do" list.

Set your controller so that you can feel the trailer brakes engaging just before the truck, good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Another idea--if you aren't using a WD hitch, then you may have too much weight on the bumper, and not enough on the front axle. This would allow the front wheels to lose traction when braking hard. If this is the case, you should also be noticing some sway problems.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Get that sorted out before you kill somebody. Have you changed the setting on the controller or tried applying the trailer brakes with the lever? If nothing happens see if power is reaching the connector on the truck and work back from there. The trailer to truck connection could be dirty.
Yes, changed settings. If I use the lever, it doesn't do anything except show that it's sending power.

Can you explain how I check to see if power is reaching the connector on the truck??
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
When I bought my old TT before I even towed it home I drove to a large open parking lot and adjusted the brake controller. A good rule of thumb is to adjust it so when only the trailer brake is applied the controller will supply enough voltage to the trailer brakes to slow the trailer without causing the wheels to lock up. Once you have done that you will need make minor adjustments while towing to tailor the setting to accommodate the driving conditions. Keep in mind that you want the maximum stopping power with out wheel lock up.
If I use the emergency brake, it works. If I just use the truck brakes, the brakes on the trailer don't work. ??
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
One thing to try--when hooked up, pull the emergency cable and see if the trailer will move. If the brakes are locked, they are working ok. Don't leave the cable pin out too long, as full battery amperage is being applied.
If the trailer brakes will lock with the emergency pin pulled, and don't work right with the truck, it will be in the controller or wiring.
Joe
Tried that and emergency brake does make brakes lock up. So it does look like there could be a problem in the controller or wiring. How can I address the controller or wiring??
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdncpl View Post
First off do as "Wingnut60" suggests and check that the brakes are working at all.

Also if your unit is older when was the last time you had the brakes serviced, as the pads wear you will need to adjust your brake controller accordingly however yearly preventative maintenance should not be ignored. Checking your brakes yearly (either yourself or a service department) should be high on your "to do" list.

Set your controller so that you can feel the trailer brakes engaging just before the truck, good luck.
There is no maintenance necessary as it's a brand new trailer. And emergency brakes work. It must still be in the controller or wiring...and not sure what to do???
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Another idea--if you aren't using a WD hitch, then you may have too much weight on the bumper, and not enough on the front axle. This would allow the front wheels to lose traction when braking hard. If this is the case, you should also be noticing some sway problems.
Joe
It has a WD hitch and no sway problem.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
CD

The ground between TV and TT may not be good. Run a temp wire from TT frame to Batt ground on TV to check it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
The ground between TV and TT may not be good. Run a temp wire from TT frame to Batt ground on TV to check it.
I know that's good since everything on the trailer works.....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Perhaps I've missed it, but is this a factory-installed brake controller on the truck, or is it an aftermarket add-on? If it's the latter, what brake controller is it? Did you install it, or did the dealer set up the truck and trailer for towing?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide