Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Brand new trailer, rusty bolts and axle? Am I missing anything?

Hey everyone,

I had posted this inside another one of my threads but wanted to bump it out to the main page for more eyes.

I picked up our brand new trailer on Saturday. When I got home, I noticed that I had missed this during the walkthrough (head was spinning by the end of the 2 hours). I believe this is the leaf spring equalizer...but not sure. The bolts look rusted to me, and the front axle looks rusty and has a slight bow to it, making the wheels looks just a tad un-even to me (possible wobble down the road?).

Am I nuts? Paranoid? It's very possible.

I've already got an appt next week w/ the dealer for a couple of things, but will bring this up. I was hoping for your opinions as I have become extremely skeptical of anyone selling me anything.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy to post other pics, etc.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160229_131526.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	120353   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160229_131546.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	120354  

halvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
While the trailer may be new to you, it could very well have been assembled months ago. Manufacturers get trailer frames or chassis to store on their back lot until they have need to assemble a complete RV. On top of that delay, your unit could have been hauled through snow, salt, and rain to the dealer, then it sat on their lot for a long period before you bought it. You might check your documents and build sheets in the RV to get an idea of date of assembly and where it traveled.

Make a detailed list of issues and questions you wish the dealer's service dept. to address. You might also prepare that list in an email to send to the manufacturer. Documentation is key in getting these things fixed in a timely fashion.

Be prepared for a lengthy process that takes some of the shine and pride off of what should be a 'fun' purchase of a recreational vehicle!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Axles are bowed to correct alignment issues. A bowed axle is not necessarily a bad thing. Gotta read the tires and see how it tracks.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Rusty bolts

Hello, just bought a new 2015 trailer ( last years model), it also has some rusted area on the underside. this in normal as they set out in the weather. I plan on cleaning up the rusted hardware then prime and paint. this will help, but being on the underside you will get wear and rust. Just check it out before winterizing it each year and touch up the paint. Only real cure would to use Stainless Steel hardware. Look under your truck and you will also find a lot of rusted hardware.
Take care and have fun.

Steve
planefixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

check the tags,, the outside one and the inside one..

they will have the date the trailer was started to be built and the later date is when it was finished...( Should be)

then the title when it was set to be sold..

mine are 11/03.. second is 1/04.. titled as a 2005... so was sitting a lot . before being sold the first time.

looks like it was towed in snow/salt... so somewhat normal.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Rustoleum makes spray paint that kills rust, and no primer needed. I've used it on many frames, and springs.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #7

The upward bow in the axle is normal. The suspension parts will rust quickly because they are painted poorly. I spray Fluid Film on my springs and anywhere rust might start. If you will be putting a lot of miles on the RV, you will be replacing those bolts with wet bolts.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #8

I just picked up my2016 and I have the same crusty bolts. I'm an auto body guy, 20 years worth, and I can tell you, It's all the salt and brine they put on the roads. I'm going to paint mine with PO515.
rrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Surface rust on the steel bolts, springs and axles is not anything to worry about; the function or strength is not affect. From looking at the pictures, the running gear is light - (4 leaf springs).

You do not say what the weight of your trailer is unloaded, and loaded. IF you are close (i.e. more than 75-80% of max for axles/tires, I would consider upgrading the shackles/bolts to a heavy duty wet bolt kit, as mentioned. Dexter makes a product that I have used on my previous trailers. Dexter heavy duty shackle kit, 33" axle spacing - example only - select your appropriate kit.

For now, you should be fine.

Hope this helps - and congrats on the new trailer.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 PM   #10

BrianGlenn, here are the weight specs for this trailer, from their site:

Axle Weight (lbs.) 5,185
Hitch Weight (lbs.) 740
Dry Weight * (lbs.) 5,925
GVWR (lbs.) 9,540
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 3,615

Everyone, thank you all for your input! It's good to hear that it's ok for now, but something to keep an eye on and most likely upgrade in the future.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, and you've all been very accommodating and helpful. Thanks again.

Chris
halvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #11

My new 2016 (Built in mid 2015) has some rusty bolts in the same place on the springs and my trailer has always been in temperate Southern California. It was built here as well. So I'm not concerned it's only surface rust. If it bothers you you can paint them with some rust converting paint and then hit it with some black rustoleum. I haven't done that yet but I might.

As stated above the bowed axles are normal. Mine look like that and after a measured 3000 miles of use with my trailer the tire wear looks perfectly fine.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #12

rusty bolts and axles

Our tt was the same. Lightly sanded where i could, primed with rusty primer(rust-oleum) and gloss black paint. Waited a week then sprayed entire under carriage with a product called " fluid film" avail. At most auto centers...love the stuff. Shake well prior to and during application..good luck and happy camping...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust