Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
Figured I'd come back and finish the story...

So, 5 weeks after the trailer disappearing, lots of phone calls and paperwork, I finally got the insurance to cut a check. It took them even more time because they couldn't figure out a replacement cost since the trailer was brand new. The weren't sure of the depreciation amount which in my opinion there wasn't any. They ended up appraising the trailer at more than what I owed/bought it for and they cut the bank a check paying it off and paid about $2800 on top of that to me which pretty much paid for all the personal stuff I put in the trailer that I lost. The end, I thought...

The very next day I received a call from a detective asking who I was and why a trailer VIN was tied to my name. I explained I bought it and it was stolen. He said it's been recovered. I asked if I come and pick it up or what's the next step. He laughed and said, "You don't want this trailer. It's had a rough life." I told him it was a week old when it disappeared unused and has only been gone about 5 weeks. "It's been a rough 5 weeks then. No disrespect to you, but I'm only here to investigate a murder, that took place in this trailer." Turns out a crackhead stole the trailer and was living in it only about 5 miles away, cooking drugs in it, having sex in it, and then was murdered in it. I had to see it for myself so I went to LAPD's impound yard and sure enough everything that was in the trailer was gone. The door appeared to have been opened with a crow bar. A window was smashed. There was a gas mask and all types of drug paraphernalia, chains, [moderator edit]! Other than the VIN being correct it was hard to believe that was even the same trailer.

Fast forward to today. I just left Camping World with the same trailer. Different VIN of course but they agreed to just do the deal again. No BS. Same paperwork just with a different date and VIN. This time around I'll be storing it with a trailer tongue lock, battery disconnect, and at a RV storage facility with barbed wire fences and cameras all around. I'm looking forward to taking it out soon and having an interesting story to tell some other campers by the fire.
Wwwwwwtttttttttttthhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Sounds like Breaking Bad gone wild lol. Good god man!! So happy it all worked out right in the end. I'm sorry for your loss, I do feel sorry for the Crack head dying, however I don't have a lot of sympathy for actions like he did.

Anyway, pit this behind you. Yes, get a lock for the coupler and enjoy your RV.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #44

Wow- thanks for sharing the sequel .
Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 AM   #45

That's a crazy story!! I'm glad you're back in a new one.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:24 AM   #46

"Would like to bring back hanging"

I agree, however, after having a truck stolen and the stupid cop spent all his time and budget trying to prove that I had it stolen instead of addressing the guy that was caught with it and just said, Uh the guy that owned it said I could have it.

Hangings are gone due to crooked cops hanging innocent people while the guilty walk away laughing. His goal was to just pin it on whoever was easiest to pin it on. I heard the guy was a career thief and was constantly arrested then let out by judge after judge. The judges letting them out over and over is who needs to be hanged.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
.... after having a truck stolen and the stupid cop spent all his time and budget trying to prove that I had it stolen instead of addressing the guy that was caught with it and just said, Uh the guy that owned it said I could have it.
Had nearly the same experience. I had to hear how I had my gay lover steal my uninsured truck for the insurance money. I give credit to the cops for catching the guy (car chase - wife saw him steal it), but accusing me of having it stolen was just plain stupid.

Glad the OP's situation worked out. And the thief apparently got his due!

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #48

They said too that i was just trying to get rid of the payment. I believe we were ahead on our payments at that time. Mine went all the way to a several hour grand jury questioning session for me. When i finaly got tired of it and asked why I was here and the cop said the guy caught with it said that I said he could have it, I just responded with are you serious. What else would you expect him to say.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #49

Thanks for posting the resolution !!! Good for you !!! One less Maggot in our society !!!! No sympathy here !
Old 07-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's just nuts man.... Sounds like cameras around your house might be a decent investment, particularly on your driveway and front. Glad your insurance company did the right thing.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Speaking of the insurance company doing the right thing...
I would be good to know which insurance company that was if the OP had a good experience with them.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Speaking of the insurance company doing the right thing...
I would be good to know which insurance company that was if the OP had a good experience with them.
State Farm.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
Figured I'd come back and finish the story...

. "It's been a rough 5 weeks then. No disrespect to you, but I'm only here to investigate a murder, that took place in this trailer." Turns out a crackhead stole the trailer and was living in it only about 5 miles away, cooking drugs in it, having sex in it, and then was murdered in it. I had to see it for myself so I went to LAPD's impound yard and sure enough everything that was in the trailer was gone. The door appeared to have been opened with a crow bar. A window was smashed. There was a gas mask and all types of drug paraphernalia, chains, even some [Moderator Edit]! Other than the VIN being correct it was hard to believe that was even the same trailer.

Breaking bad......Final season! wow
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #54

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, um, gosh, um, ...

When the old trailer goes on sale, it might be a great bargain for someone! Keep an eye on Craigslist, folks. Might be a great deal from the LAPD on the way soon!

At least it's all over, and you have replaced the trailer (and likely its payments, which shoots a big hole in the "trying to get rid of a payment" theory).

I'm gonna go out and appreciate my mega-hitch lock now.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Breaking bad......Final season! wow
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #56

WOW that is amazing.. Its hard to know now a crack head was able to hitch up and tow the thing off. Where the hell did he get a truck and not wreck the thing pulling away. Dam shame..

I put a large chain through the rims, around the axle with a large padlock.

I think most crooks are looking for easy to steal items and your trailer was easy at that time. Glad to hear State Farm did the right thing and paid you total amount due.

In the picture I am behind the tires but you can see the chain. Hard to steal one with half the tire not rolling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161203_134038.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	146594

got the chain at harbor freight.. keep eye on sales for 20 bucks for the chain.

was just harbor freights web page and they have a 20% off discount till wed.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote