Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #1

So my husband and I just went to the RV show up at the Big E in Springfield MA.

We are interested in selling our 19 ft. hybrid and were looking at 29-32 ft. superlite or lightweight bunkhouse trailers and found several brands that would meet our needs.

Now my question is really relative to brand quality.... I really liked the Keystone XLite model 29BHS, however, someone told me Keystone is a bottom of the barrel trailer Honestly, on the surface it looked really nice and I thought things like the mattresses etc. were actually nicer. We did not "really" look to closely at construction though...guess we were too busy being blinded by the new camper fever. We also liked another one, Outbacker? and also a Forest River. All the brands we looked at had slides.

So... Anyone have any comments either good or bad either way???

Thanks!!

F150 5.4 v8 Supercrew

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #2

So my husband and I just went to the RV show up at the Big E in Springfield MA.

We are interested in selling our 19 ft. hybrid and were looking at 29-32 ft. superlite or lightweight bunkhouse trailers and found several brands that would meet our needs.

Now my question is really relative to brand quality.... I really liked the Keystone XLite model 29BHS, however, someone told me Keystone is a bottom of the barrel trailer Honestly, on the surface it looked really nice and I thought things like the mattresses etc. were actually nicer. We did not "really" look to closely at construction though...guess we were too busy being blinded by the new camper fever. We also liked another one, Outbacker? and also a Forest River. All the brands we looked at had slides.

So... Anyone have any comments either good or bad either way???

Thanks!!

F150 5.4 v8 Supercrew

Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Onemantwokids, welcome to iRV2.

You are right about the glitz factor being overwhelming on new rigs.

You are wise in searching out opinions of other owners.

You can search our forums by clicking on "Find" on the forum page and searching for past threads of interest.

Also, fire away with any questions you may have. Our members love to help.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #4

Typically light weight trailers are the bottom of the barrel no matter whose brand it is. To ferritt out good and bad, look inside cabinets, pull out the drawers and inspect build. Check for stupid things like how much build debris is still left in the trailer. That will give you a real quick idea of how much care was taken to assemble a trailer.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
onemantwokids,

First, welcome to iRV2.com. We're glad to have you with us.

I'm glad to see you've already received some responses to your question, and I'm sure there will be more to come!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
onemantowkids,

You've come to the right website for answers to your questions. The folks here are very helpful, as you will see.

If you are looking at light weight units, manufacturers will use lighter weight materials (i.e. laminate counters instead of solid surface, plastic lavy instead of porcelain..etc) in their construction than standard or high end units. This does not necessarily make them "bottom barrel" but it does make them cost less to sell.

For example, our first TT was very light weight. The cabinets were laminated wood, there were pull out tubs instead of drawers, it had no carpeting & no slide. Yes it was an entry level rv, inexpensive to buy, but it was a good one & we got good use out of it.

We looked at a Keystone Outback when we were in the market for our 5-r. We chose a Cougar (also by Keystone) mainly because the Outback had only 1 floorplan & I didn't like that floorplan (although I loved how brite it appeared inside the Outback due to the white cabinetry). Our Cougar was a step up because it had drawers on glides, solid wood cabinet doors, carpet throughout & 2 slides. It also was more than 2x heavier than our TT.

Take your time & look past the glitz & fluff on an rv. Sit on all the furniture, not just for a few minutes, but for long periods. Are they comfortable? Open all the cabinet doors & drawers to look inside. Stand in the shower. Is there enough "elbow room"? Operate all the windows & doors. Look in all the storage compartments. By doing all these things you'll be able to confidently make comparisons among the different manufacturers & pick a unit that you will enjoy.

Good luck in your search & let us know what you choose.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #7

Keystone is a manufacturer of many lines of TT's and 5er's. They make entry level, mid-level, and higher end units. For example, they make Springdales (entry level), Cougars (mid level), and Montana's (higher level). They also make many like models under differing names (example - the Cougar is almost identical to the Sprinter).

I'm not sure why they do this - perhaps is a regional branding thing. The Outback you mention is also a Keystone product.

Like the others say above - check out the TT closely and you will be able to determine how well it's built. I'm sure you will find both cherry's and lemon's among all manufacturers.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Onemantwokids...
Welcome to iRV2! This will be a very helpful site especially after you have found that perfect RV for you!

This topic is one that I have no knowledge of...but I trust you will be able to click that "Find" button above and find more info!

Good Luck finding that perfect TT & again...Welcome to iRV2!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #9

Often the better floor plan is because the manufacture has put floor plan ahead of good balance in the placing of the water tanks, etc. The nice floor plan may actually result in having a poorly balanced trailor when you're traveling. Also, pay close attention to the various weight limits. Be realistic about how much weight is going to be added to the trailer by your "stuff" and where it will end up. For example, too much weight to the rear of the RV lifts the front and makes it unsafe to tow and results in uncomfortable, "white knuckle" handling.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
My first 5ver was a Forest River Rockwood. I was very happy with the trailer for it's purpose, an ultra lite to be towed with a 1/2 ton pickup. I have been very happy with Forest River and am on our second FR product. As mentioned above, lite trailers by nature are entry level units. While most will have the same construction technologies and materials, the workmanship is what will set them apart. Look for good fitting corners, how things are put together, fastners (staples vs screws), are the cabinets straight and not sagging. For the most part major components such as appliances and fixtures will be similar across brands. By all means ask lots of questions here. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site to get you going in the right direction.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Sue & family to irv2.
Not to push this brand or anyother these models may show what to expect within the same brand.
5th wheels
Some good explainations by people all ready.
Enjoy the forums and good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #12

You should check out the Jayfeather line by Jayco. They put out a pretty good product and have a 2 year warranty.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
We are waiting on our 6th TT/5th wheel to arrive and all I can say is, that in my opinion, Keystone produces higher quality units than Forest River. I'm happy for those that are happy w/ FR product, but I wasn't. I also like Jayco's products even though I've not owned one. The Designer was our second choice this time.

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote