Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Breaking into my own TT

We've outgrown our time share condo at Lake Chelan here in WA. With our kids marrying and having babies there is precious little space if everyone wants to come and stay during our week. My bride decided it would be cool to park our little AF 22H in the city RV park and bunk there at night after spending the day with our kids at the condo.

It worked out fine although I love to get up and start coffee, play with the grand kids first thing, etc. However, we got back to the trailer one night, inserted the key into the dead bolt and found it would only go in half way. We tried everything, WD40'd it, tried another key--nothing. The next site neighbor came over and helped, but it wasn't going to budge. He reminded us our storage area came up underneath our bed. So I popped the hatch and wiggled in. I'm glad our bed is on gas struts. Once in I tried to manually undo the dead bolt, but it was frozen. We slept in our bed that night (my bride won't let me describe her contorsioning to climb in and through the cubby). We decided to cut it short and went home the next day. I continued to work the lock, but it was stuck tight.

I called our dealer and they immediately shipped a new lock assembly to us. The service manager told me how to drill the lock out before unscrewing the inside plate. He said he sees one or two situations a year like this. I'd never heard of it-maybe keys snapping off, but not lock tumblers freezing up on a one year old trailer. For what it's worth, the new lock seems to work much more smoothly although it looks identical. Live and learn.

'09 Tundra pulling a '12 Arctic Fox 22H
MarkQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
I came to this thread hoping there would be posts about HOW TO in case this ever happens to me. I'm of "that age" that I recall being sent through the milk chute more than once when locked out of our home as a child. WHAT WOULD YOU DO if you were camping and found yourself locked out?

Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Wow - that is really a cool story. Glad you were able to get back just in although it took circus skills.

I was locked out of my trailer when I unlocked the dead bolt from inside to exit the trailer to get something out of the truck. I guess I did not fully move the red lever to its unlock position. Only enough to open the door. Anyway as I shut the door I heard a click. I immediately tried to open the door and was locked out with the trailer keys still inside the trailer. The dead bolt locked as I shut the door.

Note - you can not lock the dead bolt w/o the key but I was locked out by the dead bolt.

Lucky for me I was at a large RV park and the manager had all the master keys. Then I thought...no one should have the master keys...but in this case it saved my butt.

He told me it happens and I was not the 1st. So now I make sure the dead bolt lever swings fully to the open position before I exit w/o the keys.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by mbnh
Check this out
Is it me or is "this" missing?
Or - is this like "here, hold my beer" and we're waiting to see what happens next.... LoL.

On Edit - did I capture it before is disappeared?
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
Friend had a brand new MH, almost the first trip out. They were all outside and the dog inside.
Yep, the dog locked the door and they had no keys. They ended up breaking the drivers side window.
I have always put a set of keys someplace on the rig where I could get to them. Guess I better check and see if they're still there after 11 years!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
The plot thickens

A U.S. maker of recreational vehicle door handles issued a recall for 2.86 million units, a federal agency said Wednesday (Aug. 7).
UPI reported that the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) said in a posting on its website Fastec Industrial Corp., a part of Pittsburgh’s WESCO Distribution Inc., handles were installed on RV’s from January 2006 to April 2013.
The recalled handles have “deadbolts that could jam, making it impossible to exit the vehicle,” NHTSA said.
The agency said it may be possible to remove the key from the handle’s lock in a way that potentially jams the deadbolt in locks with certain key codes.
The agency said Fastec will notify the original door and vehicle makers, and consumers of record, to instruct them on how to determine whether they have a defective lock.
Consumers of record will be sent replacement cylinders with instructions, free of charge. The vehicle manufacturers will notify their consumers. The recall is expected to begin Sept. 10.
Owners also may contact Fastec at 1-800-837-2505 or the NHTSA’s vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Let me see if I have this right Mark, you stayed in a trailer with a locked door that couldn't be opened in an emergency?? I don't think I could do that. Also once inside on mine, I could take a phillips screwdriver and have the entire lock assembly off in a couple of minutes.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Yep, but the window at the head of the bed pivots up easily with one handle.