Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Broke off license plate holder

I have a newer Rockwood Mini-Lite and in a rookie move I backed into a small tree while backing into our driveway and broke off the license plate. It was held by two tabs that attach to the taillight. I can't see where I did any other damage other than the broken plate bracket. Anyone else ever do this? It was the first really dumb move I've made yet. Is there anything I should look out for to make sure I didn't damage the trailer? I have no idea how to replace this so I may have to take a trip to the dealer at the end of camping season.
Gobrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #2

What model Rockwood Mini Lite? We just purchased a 2012 2109s, so far so good, our license plate is on the actual back wall of the TT, not the bumper. I would say just order the new part and install yourself.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

Buy a metal plate bracket and then remove the lens on the tailight. Slide the new bracket under the edge of the light ( you may have to loosen the bottom screws on the tailight) and install 2 screws through the light to the new bracket, replace the lens.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

You can buy these replacement kits through the most recent Cabela's catalog.
R Milam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can get a replacement at most any auto parts store, Stock item, comes in two or three different versions.

Generally you will have to remove the tail light it attaches to, slip the old broken plastic tabs off the bolts, slip the new one on over the bolts and bolt it back down.

Very easy to do.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. The problem I'm having now is trying to take off the tail light cover. There are two little white tabs on the side and it looks like the cover just snaps in there. It is very difficult to push those tabs in to remove the cover. I tried but I'm afraid of snapping one of the tabs off.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #7

Gobrowns,
Don't know if you've noticed or if anyone has told you but the tabs under the rear lite really isn't a great place for a plate. I'm surprised you don't see more plated laying around on the road. These are made from "junk plastic" (my term) and are very fragile. The longer it sits in the sun the sooner it gets hard and brittle and can break from just wigglin' around.
I wouldn't attach a plate to a NEW unit in this location.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
Gobrowns,
Don't know if you've noticed or if anyone has told you but the tabs under the rear lite really isn't a great place for a plate. I'm surprised you don't see more plated laying around on the road. These are made from "junk plastic" (my term) and are very fragile. The longer it sits in the sun the sooner it gets hard and brittle and can break from just wigglin' around.
I wouldn't attach a plate to a NEW unit in this location.
GWinger
In our state the rear license plate must be illuminated to pass inspection. That may be the reason to attach it in a location already wired and lit!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
In our state the rear license plate must be illuminated to pass inspection. That may be the reason to attach it in a location already wired and lit!
That's what I was thinking too. Otherwise, I would consider attaching it to the bumper.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Someone stole the license plate from my TT and, in the process, broke one of the plastic tabs off.

It took a little work, but I cut off the remaining plastic tab, fabricated two new tabs out of aluminum and attached them to the tail light with screws.

The license plate has been attached to my tabs for the last six years and hasn't fallen off yet.

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Mick,
And this relates to my post,... how?
GWinger
Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
Someone stole the license plate from my TT and, in the process, broke one of the plastic tabs off.

It took a little work, but I cut off the remaining plastic tab, fabricated two new tabs out of aluminum and attached them to the tail light with screws.

The license plate has been attached to my tabs for the last six years and hasn't fallen off yet.

Good repair, Frank
GWinger
Old 06-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually you may not need to remove the lamp cover. You need to access the backside, inside the wall or inside the trailer, there should be some bolt and nut things there,

USUALLY (But not always) the bolts go through the light (And are welded to a metal part therein) and into the wall behind the light and the nut is behind the wall..... USUALLY

Never a guarantee

Sometimes it's a screw inserted from the outside.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another option I amost forgot is my favorite sticky stuff.. GOOP.

Just goop the dang thing back into place. (You can get GOOP adheasive/sealant at most any hardware of home imporvement store save Wal-Mart and Lowes, they don't sell to Wal-Mart.