Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Bumper failures

Hello, looking for posts about rear bumper failures from too much weight. Talking with someone who thinks he can bolt a receiver hitch to his trailer and double haul a boat with it but I'm trying to show him the error in his ways before he kills somebody. I know I've seen may threads in different places regarding bumpers coming loose just from bike racks so I need to find some of these posts to share. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you have a ny financial or liability interest in the boat?

Don't tell him he can't do it. Stop trying to tell him anything. Let him put the hitch on the bumper and learn the hard way since he can't simply look at the somewhat thin walled square tube bumper (if it's anything like mine) and lose the boat.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

I added a receiver to the back of a trailer, but added steel between the frame rails and bolted/welded it. The bumper wasn't involved.
Suggest your friend talk to a competent welding shop. The typical trailer bumper is merely decoration.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

not really

i store my sewer hose in the back bumper but would never connect a

trailer hitch to it, too flimsy.

Jim
Old 01-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #5

I bought mine with a messed up rear bumper. Fixed it myself. I did not take pictures though

do not use this

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Not a good idea, that square bumper cannot /will not hold the weight of a boat trailer. Unless it has been replaced with something sturdier.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Give us the address. Would love to pull a lawn chair up and watch him try this.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

In many states including here in Pennsylvania that is also extremely illegal. He would have to check with each state before he traveled through to even see if he could do it.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #9

I just checked on the Internet. It says no combination vehicles in Virginia so if your friend lives near you he's not legally allowed to . It says no combination vehicles just check your Internet and you will see. It will give him the information he really will need.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #10

My understanding is that in states which allow non commercial double trailers to be pulled the 1st trailer must be connected to the tow vehicle via the means of a 5th wheel. A ball hitch won't due, also the trailers trailer hitch must be frame mounted and inspected.

As someone who has been driving truck for nearly 20 years, I have pulled doubles, triples, rocky mountain doubles, and been permitted for LCV (long combination vehicle)....I consider myself an experienced professional. I can tell you this pulling one trailer can be hard enough pulling two (or more) is not for the faint of heart. When things go bad they go bad fast and pulling more than one trailer just exasperates the situation.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduffey5 View Post
..I consider myself an experienced professional. I can tell you this pulling one trailer can be hard enough pulling two (or more) is not for the faint of heart. When things go bad they go bad fast and pulling more than one trailer just exasperates the situation.
And the rigs you were pulling were built for the purpose they were used, and you were trained and had useful prior experience on other vehicle configurations before you were allowed to pull some of the rigs you pulled.

Makes me wonder when the subject of all this discussion gets that second trailer hooked up, how they will control the trailer brakes, if at all.