Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #1

Bunkhouses with washer/dryer hook ups.

So we have landed on the Grand Design Reflection 312bhts. Love the quality and layout. Plus the washer and dryer hookups.

This trailer brings us back to the weight debate. Every 312 i look at us between 9400 and 9600 dry with a GVWR Of 10,995. My truck (f150 ecoboost) is rated at 10,700 and the only difference between my truck and one rated at 11,700 is the axle ratio (3.55 instead of 3.31). Same drivetrain, brakes and suspension.

I’m not terribly concerned about it but for every 1 person telling me I’ll be fine i have 10 that day no.

So my question is are there any other bunkhouses out there that have washer/dryer hookups that may be a little lighter?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #2

the GVWR does not mean that it weighs that much, only that's what it's designed for, when fully loaded. If you weigh it when loaded, you'll find if you are close to that number, or under/over, and only then will you know.
the good thing about a 5vr is that you weigh it without people, so the number is not going to vary depending on your truck or how many folks are traveling, it's just the unit's weight itself.

I think that you are close enough not to be worried, but weighing it loaded is the only 'weigh' you will know for sure. : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

By the time you load the 312BHTS with propane tanks, battery and gear the tongue weight will be 1200lbs+. Does your F150 have a payload capacity to carry 1200lbs, passengers and anything else in the truck? Your payload capacity is the number you need to know. My 315RLTS is a very similar sized trailer. I would not consider pulling with a half ton, just too much trailer.

I poked around a little but haven't seen a smaller bunkhouse with W/D hookup.
Chiefblueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #4

Too much trailer was all I heard as well. On paper it was fine for GCVW, but it messed with my mind. I bought a great used hitch - Hensley Arrow. That helped me settle everything. There are so many cheap hitches, my family was no sacrifice for using the free "$500" hitch the dealer was throwing in.
I took it to the CAT Scale. I had weighed it with it connected, & unconnected and I was under.

For my Expedition, combined max on truck certification label showed 15,000, trailer had to be under 8,900 loaded, and truck with passengers and cargo under 6,000. The CAT Scale provided that. The rest was adding trailer break, getting the trailer tires balanced and driving like your towing. Staying at max speed of 60 in tow mode, bracing for the semi trailers that fly by, sucking you in and blowing you out as they pass. "Sail" effect. Every truck has this problem when towing. They're liars if the say otherwise.

Drive safe, have fun!

joeyo
joeyo67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunkhouse