Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #1

Butyl? Putty?

I don't see any difference.

In changing the water heater out, I observed putty tape. So I had my partner pick some of that up.

I also observed a black, spongy, insulation type of tape with a self adhesive back. I thought that was butyl tape. So I had my partner pick some of that up too.

Except what thought was butyl tape is not butyl tape. Actual butyl tape is more like putty tape.

So what's the difference?
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Butyl tape is made of all 'solids' that is very sticky and used for sealing around windows and other openings in the sides of an RV. Foam tape may have adhesive on one or both sides and is used to seal larger voids as a gasket. Butyl tape stays flexible for a long time, foam tape can get brittle and crumble with age.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #3

So is butyl a superior product to foam tape?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
So is butyl a superior product to foam tape?
For setting windows in the side of an RV, yes butyl is superior. If you're sealing a water heater into a space, butyl would be good for sealing seams and wire openings. For pipe openings that might have to have a little allowance for movement, foam tape will work.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The foam rubber like tape is.... Weatherstriping tape, Find it in teh window isle at your local home improvement store

There is also a foam type double stick tape sometimes used to mount pictures.. You may find that in the same isle or elsewhere in the store.

(Tape and glue isle)

Butyl and putty tape are indeed much alike,, Only difference is the "Putty". Butyl is more rubbery.. There is also Mastic Tape, yet another variation on the same theme.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

The foam tape was on the inside of the door frame, on the part that slips just inside the front of the water heater. The putty tape was on the back of the door frame where it presses against the trailer.

I think I'm going to go get some foam tape at Home Depot, and use the butyl tape around the door frame against the trailer.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #7

And while I'm on the subject, this is what most of the seams look like. Do remove it or caulk over it with Proflex?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140815_200256.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	70908  
Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

For a metal sided trailer, use NON butyl putty; thicker and not as sticky. For a smooth side trailer, use butyl putty. I never use foam tape.

I would just seal over what is there.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

I used butyl around the water heater door kit. Seemed to work nicely. It grabbed the aluminum and pushed out around the door kit making a nice bead seal.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

The stuff is a pain in the as**** to work with, but seals great !!!
Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #11

It was QUITE a pain to work with, but it seems to have worked.

Now Proflex was a pain. Dear sweet Jesus that stuff was a GIGANTICE pain in the rear to clean up.