Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Buying a Clipper 17BH - need buying advice.

We want to purchase a 2015 Coachmen Clipper 17BH. Our closest dealer is 1.25 hours from us and does not have any in stock. They said they are not sure when they will get more, probably early July or so. He also cannot tell me what they will charge me but he did tell me that the 2014's they had sold for $12,365.

I mentioned buying one at a dealer out of state and they told me that they will not service it or do warranty work on it. They only service and do warranty work on the trailers they sell.

There is another dealer 3 hours from me, has the 2015 17Bh trailer in stock and is charging $10,995 + tax and tags. And I can pick it up tomorrow if I want.

My concern is that if I buy the trailer and need warranty work that I will have to go back 3 hours for service. Anyone have a feel for the probablity of how much warranty work may be required in the first year (I know you can't predict something like that) but.....

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

Martin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #2

Buying a Clipper 17BH - need buying advice.

You might check with Coachmen to see where their authorized service centers are. You might find one closer to you than an actual Coachmen dealership. We purchased our 2013 Jayco last April, and the only warranty work we needed was minor stuff. A piece of wood trim was missing when we picked it up and some of the wallpaper border had a ripple. It bugged us so we took it back in for repair when the pieces came in from order. Otherwise, no issues

Old 05-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
They only service and do warranty work on the trailers they sell.
I wouldn't buy a lug nut from a dealer that made that kind of a statement trying to coerce the potential customer to buy from them.
Welcome to IRV2!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

Just a side note, I own a Coachmen Clipper 16b, had it for almost two years. Never a problem with her, everything has worked as designed. I've been pleased.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

We have a 2014 Coachmen Viking 16FB, which from what I can tell is 99.9% identical to a Clipper 16FB, decals are the only difference. We have only had it a few months but we absolutely love it so far, good fit/finish, surprisingly well equipped for a "budget" camper as Coachmen calls it, very happy with our purchase.
Since it was a 2014 and they were clearing room for 2015's we got it for just a hair over $10k (with tax/title).
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I wouldn't buy a lug nut from a dealer that made that kind of a statement trying to coerce the potential customer to buy from them.
Welcome to IRV2!

ditto...

- 2011 Ram 3500 DRW
- 2014 Arctic Fox 31D
Old 06-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #7

Our 26' Shadow Cruiser listed at around 29K, negotiated w local dealer down to 22K, found dealer in Michigan, 8 hours away, willing to sell identical unit for $16,300. We made the trip. I suspect we would get some grief from the local dealer if we had a serious warranty issue. After a year.... fewer concerns and after two years you are on your own for just about anything anyway.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input. We decided to purchase from the dealer 3 hours from us. We pick up the trailer next week.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #9

rwallmow - we are using a 2004 Jeep Liberty as our tow vehicle (3.7L V6) with P2 brake controller. How do you find the Liberty does towing this trailer?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

A good WD hitch with sway control will help.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
A good WD hitch with sway control will help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedelta View Post
rwallmow - we are using a 2004 Jeep Liberty as our tow vehicle (3.7L V6) with P2 brake controller. How do you find the Liberty does towing this trailer?

Thanks!
Like Texasbird says a WD hitch is a must towing with a Libby, but with a WD hitch it tows pretty dang well, while I am certainly aware its back there, it doesn't take us for a ride, its fully under control. The weights on our 16FB trailer are all within the limits of the Libby, with some safety margin. Our Libby has a carrying capacity of 1150lbs, so with wife, myself, dog, and hitch/tongue weight, we have about 100-150lbs to spare. And the GVWR of the TT is only about 3500lbs, so I know we wont hit the 5000lb tow rating of the Libby. Your 17BH is just mere pounds more, so you will also probably be safe, but to be 100% sure please check the carrying capacity tag in the drivers door jam of the libby, add up your family/pets, cargo IN libby, hitch weight, and tongue weight (adding some for battery and LP tank, Coachmen doesn't include that in their tongue weight figure). If you are really close and have some cargo/gear in the Libby, think about moving it to the camper somewhere over the axles (one of the under dinette storage bins is right over ours), then it wont touch your tongue weight.

Our Libby is the 2.8L L4 Diesel though, so I make my peak torque at a mere 1800rpm, your 3.7L V6 gas makes its peak at a much higher 4000rpm so you will probably be spooling quite a bit higher pulling up any hills, might have to keep it slower in the right lane, but you should make it safe and sound and without the dreaded white knuckles
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

Thanks for the info. The dealer we are buying the trailer from is installing the brake controller. They are also installing sway control bar but when I asked about the WD hitch he said that we did not need that. Perhaps I should insist on it....it is my money!

What kind of WD hitch do you have on the Liberty?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedelta View Post
Thanks for the info. The dealer we are buying the trailer from is installing the brake controller. They are also installing sway control bar but when I asked about the WD hitch he said that we did not need that. Perhaps I should insist on it....it is my money!

What kind of WD hitch do you have on the Liberty?
If you are getting sway control I would think its probably WD too. We have a Reese setup without sway control, but it can be added to it (I've never seen a sway control that isn't WD too). I may end up adding sway, but so far it hasn't seemed necessary, but I might change my tune if I get in any windy areas, time will tell.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwallmow View Post
If you are getting sway control I would think its probably WD too. We have a Reese setup without sway control, but it can be added to it (I've never seen a sway control that isn't WD too). I may end up adding sway, but so far it hasn't seemed necessary, but I might change my tune if I get in any windy areas, time will tell.
Yeah, I am changing my tune, I will be getting sway control.

Just towed about 360 miles round trip, towing the way there was flawless, absolutely enjoyable, handled like a dream. The trip home we were bucking 20-30mph cross winds and that was unpleasant, I know sway control would have probably helped counteract the winds to a certain degree and made it less stressful.

Tags
advice