Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Buying a new Trailer

Hello, not new to travel trailers but new to buy a new one from a dealer so a few question.

My PDI is Tuesday, when I show up and if the things aren't fixed or the extras installed what is my recourse? I have my own financing and have only put 500 down. If I am unhappy with the service or they have not completed my add ons can I just walk away, do I get my deposit back, can I get the things out of the trailer that are mine that they are installing (such as battery and memory foam bed that I dropped off last week to be installed before PDI)?

The trailer is a Nash 23D from Apache camping in Oregon. I have no reason to believe they are going to leave me hanging but I don't want to be shuffling my feet while they come up with excuses.

Kip
TT: 2016 Northwood Nash 23D
TV: 2003 F350 6.0l Powerstroke Bullet Proofed
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I'm in the same boat... almost. I'll be buying new in the next month or two. First, I will pay the smallest deposit possible... Then the dealer will do a thorough pdi with me and fix every thing to my satisfaction or the deal will not progress further. The RV industry as a whole is really poor in the quality department, but I still think I should be buying a trailer that's free of defects, if I'm spending the extra to buy brand new. I've spent too much time fixing the one I have, and I've learned a lot about these things. Unfortunately, the lesson I've learned best is that these things are thrown together, regardless of what brand or where they're made.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

When we got our Heartland mpg a few years ago we were pretty rushed, and arrived at the dealership later than they wanted. While the mechanics installed the hitch and brake controller we did the paperwork, then everyone went outside for a run through. They took us next door to their campground and made sure we knew how the furnace worked (this was early December in SW Missouri). The trailer was actually one that was on the showroom floor, and all the pieces parts seemed to be present and in the proper places. The salesman left his phone number and the phone number of the mechanic who lived nearby just in case we needed something. Since the trailer was winterized there was no using any of the plumbing.

Next morning I towed the biggest trailer I had ever towed (all 19' of it) back to our place, where I couldn't get it unhitched. Since I had another appointment I finally just pulled the pin and left the hitch ball dangling from the trailer. A couple of days later I went out to see if I could figure it out, and the light finally dawned. Flip! Hitch ball dropped straight down.

As for what recourse you have if it isn't perfect, that probably depends on your State. You may be able get your deposit back and walk away, but you can probably forget about buying anything that that dealer sells. Your name will be shared with all of the other dealers and no one will want your business. Most likely, though, you and someone from the dealership will go through the trailer and develop a punch list. You should plan on spending the night in the trailer at their campground (and at their expense) and add to the punch list. The next morning they will take your trailer into the shop and try to address everything on the punch list.

Please be reasonable about what you want them to do. If a sconce light isn't perfectly straight, and all it takes is loosening a screw, straightening it, and then tightening the screw, don't mention that. If the sconce light is dangling by the wires, spitting sparks, please DO mention that. Remember that the dealer has to be given a chance to fix things that aren't right. You can probably insist that the punch list be taken care of before money and title change hands and make that stick.

Good luck.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bought my trailer from Apache in Happy Valley OR. I am happy with the purchase.

Here is what I would do, but keep in mind this is only based on my own personal experience with them, and nothing else.

If you go to PDI the trailer, and things aren't exactly as they should be, and they want more money at that time, give them no more than the $500 it would normally be asked from you to keep the deposit on the trailer for another thirty days. I know that there will be folks that will say "Don't give them a damn thing, they need to fix that trailer or nothing!" But if you want that trailer, and it sounds like you do wince you already brought them a battery and a mattress, just make sure the amount of deposit money to hold it is squared up, and nothing more, until you are ready to drive it off the lot.

They dealt fair and square with me, so I hope you believe they are doing the same with you. If not, I hope you'll tell us about it.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
To qualify my above statements... I bought my last one from Bison RV in Clovis, NM. They had been through the trailer when we got there and there was NO punch list, and the PDI lasted about 3 hours. I have come to know that this is NOT the norm. The only problem I had with this dealership is the shoddy, hurried job they did installing the power tongue jack. I rewired that when I got it home... and that only took 10 minutes or so. They apparently did a really good job because I lived in the trailer, trouble free for 2 months while we sold our home. So... not all RV dealers are the scum of the earth... What I proposed above is actually a clean deal for both the dealer and the buyer. I agree that some will be way too picky, and that little minor stuff that can be fixed with a screwdriver is not really worth mentioning. But a good dealer will not even leave those for a new buyer. My first RV purchase was from Jack Sizemore in Amarillo... and I'll never darken their doorway again. The difference was 105 miles, and ... night and day.

All that being said... In my opinion, a good dealer will do the PDI first and fix everything, and go through another PDI for the punch list again, all before money changes hands. If they won't, they don't want my business. I think if more would adopt this approach, the dealers would have to improve, or go under.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #6

Thank you for the advice. I will see how it goes and update Tuesday after the PDI. I am planning on camping in it the night but probably not at their lot.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

WOW

We bought ours at Flagg RV in west boylston Mass. No issues whatsoever.

and a 3 hour walk thru.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

When we bought ours we did the whole quick run through and didn't see anything but once we got it home I noticed where a piece of the back wall didn't meet up properly and there was a big gap between the back wall and the cabinet. I called and emailed them a pic. Went down 4 days later and in 1/2 hour it was all fixed. The tech went through it again with me to make sure there weren't any other issues. They were quite polite and helpful the whole time and I recommend them. It was Vans RV in South Windsor CT
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Just a quick update on the trailer. I showed up and everything went fine. I have not found anything wrong with the trailer, and to add on top of it: It is the best trailer in the world for my dog and I.

We are currently enjoying a few lazy days at Champoeg State Park near Portland Oregon. It may be rainy, cold and wet outside but I have woke up warm and comfortable. I am not pushing my dog out of the way to walk around, the counterspace has a lot of things on it with room to still make a beef stew in the crockpot, I have more space to store than any previous trailer, and it tows like a charm.

Thank you for the support I have recieved on this thread.

Kip
2016 Northwood Nash 23D
2003 Ford F350
Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Great news! I'm glad it worked out good for you.

Safe travels...
Old 04-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #11

An Update on my Nash 23D

After our initial shake down trip I found wood in the stinky slinky and the black water tank did not drain correctly. I tried draining again this time with a see through connector, and the drank drained extremely slow. Along with very little pellets or paper passing through. I contacted Apache but after a horrific run around, being told I was going to be charged, then a 10 minute lecture from the GM on how they have great customer service I decided to fix it myself. After a wonderful 20 minutes of snaking out the black tank I was able to clear the blockage. Thanks for nothing Apache.

Now that is out of the way on the rest of the story.

We have camped at Mount Hood, Prineville Reservoir, Wickiup Reservoir (Boon docking), Detroit Reservoir, Tumalo State Park in Oregon and Olema California. The coldest it has gotten to outside was 19 degrees, was covered in 5 inches of snow for two days, towed it down a very bumpy gravel, dirt, snow road, and pulled it over most the mountain ranges in Oregon.

It has been an outstanding trailer so far. I have yet to be cold, no lines or tanks have frozen, and other than a very bumpy drive to Wickiup Reservoir in the snow nothing has came open spilling things (except when I forgot to put away Kirbys water bowl and a cup of coffee. It towed like a charm hardly even knowing it was there, except for a large wind storm on Hwy 97 in Oregon.

The problems other than the black tank have been: The outside locks which I was going to replace anyways (standard key), developing a squeak in floor, not enough sun to test solar panels, and replaced bed shocks to adjust for memory foam mattress.

I hope to see and meet you all on the road.

Kip and Kirby the Wonder Dog
Old 04-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Seems to me the debris in the tank is a manufacturer problem, and should be warranty work as such by Apache. I know that if I bought a brand new car, and within the warranty period discovered some manufacturing debris in the gas tank that would prevent it from working properly, it would be covered under warranty and my dealer would be happy to help me.

While I would prefer to hear the other side of the story before making a judgement, I am sad to hear that Apache gave you any difficulty on this problem.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
This thread certainly makes you think. We bought a new TT just over a month ago. A Forest River Cascade 29' RKC. We love the extra room, and not having to tell our Phroggie to move each time we want to go the the bathroom, bedroom or kitchen. The extra storage is a blessing too. When we did our initial walk through we were not rushed, but it took about an hour. When we arrived home, we camped in our driveway for a couple days. We loved it, and it gave us a chance to see some things that we did not see upon our initial walk through. Upon contacting the dealer (we are in WA, so it is Poulsbo RV) they had us bring the TT back up to their lot and they fixed the problems. One was the hot water tank was leaking and the bathroom sink was cross threaded, the recliner type chairs needed a couple caps on the legs. One item they said was something with manufacturing was a seam in the ceiling is a bit saggy, not too bad, but my eyes noticed it. They could not fix that. The other thing I am not pleased with, but I guess we live with it is the slide topper. As soon as it rains there is so much water collecting on the material is sags to touch the top of the slide. They have adjusted it a couple times, and I am done. We will get blow up mattresses to put under it when we camp, as even the dew pools water. When we are able I think I will replace the Carefree of Colorado with a Dometic, which is what was on our other TT and we never had these problem. All in all, we do like our new TT, and will enjoy the camping season and nights in our driveway. Happy camping to each and all!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #14

Thanks for the op for posting this thread and thanks for everyone for their 2c. I am picking my new TT on the 30th so I really appreciate the advice everyone gave.

I am nervous as hell as I have never owned a truck (which I pick up next week) nor pulled anything behind EVER. Great!! But I know I'm a fast learner (sometimes at a lot of cost lol)

Anyway, hope everything goes ok for the op too. Good luck and happy travels.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote