Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #15

Too bad I didn't see this thread ealier, I just bought a Jayco 30.5 BHS in the states and brought it back to Canada. Brad03ca has the process mostly correct, however you do not need to expert a trailer from the US prior to importing it to Canada. This is important as the 3 day period does not apply, it is for motorized vehicles not trailers.

Additionally, you do not need a CSA sticker. I checked with my insurance company, registry office and everyone else I could think of and it is not a requirement. In fact I think alot if not most of the equipment in my house is not CSA approved but is is ULC approved and they are recognized by CSA.

The process for me was as follows:
* I showed up at the border with no prior arrangements in place.
* I paid GST at the border and the CBSA officer completed Form 1
* After I got home I logged on to the RIV website and useing the info from Form 1, I paid the RIV fee.
* The RIV office sent me Form 2.
* I took the RIV form 2 to Canadian Tire and they completed it using the information from the sticker on the drivers side fromt of the trailer and faxed the form back to the RIV. It should be noted that the sticker on the trailer must be legable otherwise Canadian Tire will not complete the form.
* 1 week later the RIV office sent me a new sticker for the trailer and the process was complete.
* Off to the registry office for a plate and the process was complete.
It was just that easy.

Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #16

One thing to be aware of is that dealers require any vehicle that is being servived in their shop to be either CSA certified or ESA tested in Ontario, mostly for liability reasons. Many will turn away servicing until an ESA test has shown the trailer to meet Ontario electrical safety codes.

And just a question for you brad03, what kind of business are you in? And it just seem bizarre that you show pictures of the Canadian flag all over your posts, but want to spend of of your hard earned CANADIAN money in the US.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Whats bizzare about saving thousands of dollars?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And just a question for you brad03, what kind of business are you in? And it just seem bizarre that you show pictures of the Canadian flag all over your posts, but want to spend of of your hard earned CANADIAN money in the US </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hello zertrider. As a patriotic Canadian living in a free democratic society,I have the right,as you and others, to spend our money where we please. Like you, I spend my money where the best value can be realized. Have you ever purchased from the USA,(99.9% of RV's purchased in Canada are USA made) our number one trading partner in the world? Have you ever purchased from any big box retailers? Sears? Canadian Tire( now there's patriotic ) Walmart? Unfortunatly most products we buy come from offshore, which leaves us little room in the way of options. I do how ever, buy North American, no Japanees cars or motorcycles in my yard.
What you term "bizarre" is sign of Thanks to friends and relatives, who have paid the Ultimate Price, so that I and All Canadians have the right to freedom of choice.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #19

There is no requirement for CSA certification.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 AM   #20

Could someone please confirm the following: that the GST & PST is paid on on the full value of the unit not the balance after trade in like in a Cdn deal. I can't seem to get a straight answer. Thanks
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #21

The taxes are paid on the full price, as the trade does not take place in Canada so no tax will be paid in Canada, when the trade is sold.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #22

Brad03ca:

WAY TO GO. Tell it like it is. There is nothing unpatriotic about paying some greedy Canadian dealer 40 % more than it is worth. When will these pigs finally understand that we will not be raped any more. Every unit I have owned in the last 15 years was purchased in the USA. I bet a lot of people do not know that you can order parts from CW and they do not charge more for freight to Canada. Same as USA freight. The dealers in Canada mark up parts more than 50 % (retail to retail)
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #23

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
a U.S. flag flies on every one of my posts and i once bought a motorycle from a dealership in Canada and had it shipped down here to SanDiego,

i was cautioned that since it had Canadian numbers it might not be eligible for racing in some leagues here, but since i was tossing it into the back of my toyhauler and roaring around the desert i was happier then a clam

so Brad is even for buying an RV here, 'cause i bought one of their bikes
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #24

Recently there has been an up roar about our retail prices being higher than US prices. With the dollar at or near par, the prices of goods and services should be much closer than they are. Canadian consumers complained, got some consessions from Canadian retailers, but over all, there dosen't appear to be any lasting price reductions. I will spend my dollars where the best value can be attained, be it in Canada or the USA. There was a time when I would have purchased "at home" out of loyalty to our own economy, but this loyalty, unfortunatly dosen't run in both directions. Our Canadian prices remain high because we still pay them.

P.S. Hey FatDog, good to see ya again....

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Suncruiser. 100 percent for sure you have to pay gst and pst on the whole price. Trade in does not count. My father just went through the process 3 months ago

Steve