Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Jayco Owners Club
Buying a show rig

I’m negotiating the purchase on my first travel trailer. We have selected one rig but I am suspecting that it was used as a demo unit for a local RV show. Should the a salesman have disclosed that? Is it reasonable to ask for some money off since so many hands have been through the unit and there is at least one damaged item on it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

I'd be checking EVERYTHING over.....hinges, and all!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #3

If you think it was show rig just ask. Make a written offer you think is fair.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doesn't matter if it was at a show or not, it's never been registered before so it's new. If something is broken have them fix it and go on with life.
Our stick house was a parade of homes house and had 25,000 people through it. We didn't ask for anything off due to excess wear.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #5

|If you have ever watched the show "Big time RV", you would see they let everyone with a pack of rugrats jump on the beds. Some people bring their pets etc. I think it should get a slight discount. Its kind of like a demo car that has 500 miles on it. Sure it isnt that many miles, but how many people burned rubber trying it out.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

"a slight discount"?
If you're not getting 20% or greater off the posted PRICE you're getting screwed. Shop around, Look at ads on the internet from dealers all over the country on what they are asking for the same unit. I did that on my 2019 TT and wound up with 28% off the high sticker. Got the lowest price advertised in the country at the time. Many dealers were at the high sticker all over the country.

Don't just pay what they open with!
I do the same with new cars and always get a good discount BUT you have to be willing to walk away and start over at another dealer if they won't budge, and do it if you have to!

If you go in drooling over a certain unit they see that and they have you hooked. There is always another dealer with the exact same unit available somewhere. You just have to look around. YOU HAVE TO BE WILLING TO WALK OUT AND THEY HAVE TO KNOW THAT OTHERWISE YOU'RE DEAD IN THE WATER.

RULE # 1, NEVER TRUST WHAT AN RV SALESMAN IS SAYING! Period, end of sentence.
RULE # 2, CHECK OUT EVERYTHING ON THE UNIT BEFORE YOU SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE INCLUDING LOOKING AT THE ROOF. TRUST NO ONE BUT YOURSELF.
RULE # 3, GO BACK AND START AT RULE # 1 AGAIN!

All you have to do is look here and find the treads where people "trusted" the salesman when buying an RV.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many people buy units from the show. At the RVIA show in Pomona this year, we were there the last weekend and there were dozens of units with sold signs on them.

However, check every inch of the unit BEFORE taking possession, including the roof. It was raining when we were there (yes, actually rained here in SoCal one day ) and kids were climbing all over the units, some were a mess. Also, check the hours on the generator if it comes with one. When it's hot, they sometimes run them if there isn't power to that unit.

There is a discussion on the Tiffin forum here where someone purchased at this show and when they got it home, found a hole in the roof with a crappy repair. Looks like damage at the dealer but the dealer never disclosed it. Plus, there were over 200 hrs on the generator. It was still sold as new because it was never registered to anyone else. Here's the link if you're interested.....it's a long read: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/shoc...in-417944.html
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #8

Agree with use the internet and find the best advertised price on the unit you want. Many times you will find a unit with a good option that the one at the show did not have. Example, I am learning more about trailers too. Saw one at the show without a fireplace. Thought that was normal for a travel trailer. Then found one on the internet with a fireplace. To me, having the fireplace is a very very nice option...almost a must have option.

I am thinking 30% off MSRP is a good target discount. Maybe start at 40% off MSRP and see what they say.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying