Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #1

Buying a trailer off the lot vs. ordering?

I'm deep in the research phase, and figuring out what the best TT for our family is. I'm quickly finding out that this is not like buying a car - there seems to be no single credible source of what the best units are, and defects/issues are standard, not the exception. There also seems to be limited info - even when calling the manufacturer (called Heartland yesterday and the guy couldn't even tell me if a certain model had 50amp service and a 13.5 or 15K AC unit - said it depended on when it was manufactured (???). They also couldn't tell me exactly what options were available (too this guys defense, he was new, and I was out of time). Frustrating.

So once we narrow down the exact unit - is it better to just find a particular unit and buy off the lot...or have one built with the options we want (i.e. if it didn't have 50amp/prewiring for a 2nd AC unit, and we wanted that). I'm wondering if that puts us in a worse negotiation position (I'm expecting 30-35% off MSRP) - especially considering that 2018 units are starting to trickle in. Any guidance is appreciated.
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #2

Most TTs will not have 50a service--this alone may force you to order.
Once you know the exact floorplan(s) you will accept, then start your online search for pricing on RVTrader.com and RVT.com. If you can find the same trailer, then see what the asking price is--no reason not to get 30% off MSRP (if you can determine the MSRP is not inflated by dealer). The 2 sources above will have a world of info on market pricing if you can find your trailer.
Research is one thing, finding meaningful data and keeping track of it requires time and patience. Good luck.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

We have bought both ways and each has their advantages. On the lot can mean faster delivery and a known quality. Custom ordered means you can tweak a few things but you don't know how well it is built until it comes. Also, if you're buying at the same time the factory is switching production years, you may order one year but get things you hadn't planned on. For instance, the 2017 brochure may say the floorplan comes with a DVD player, but the DVD player may be dropped when yours hits the schedule. Or, the exterior color changes from light to dark or vice versa. Weird, but it happens. My preference is to buy one off the lot if you find exactly what you want so you know what you're getting.

Our last TT had 50 amp service and it was nice to have although we didn't use it. The ability to add a second A/C can be very good in some areas, but it also means you can run the A/C, microwave, hot water heater and a hair dryer all at the same time if you want. Sometimes, even with 30 amp service, you may have to not run everything you want at one time. Either way, you want to have a good converter plug (50 to 30 or 30 to 50) in case you can only find one hookup available.

Options on TT's can be misleading. Many times, options are grouped into packages which are actually mandatory. Your actual choices may be limited to decor of fabrics, finish on appliances and overpriced televisions.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Agree with Birch. Find what you want/compromise for on the lot. Inspect closely, negotiate your best deal. Offer ridiculously low, then be willing to go up to what you are willing to pay. The salesman expects you to haggle. It is part of the process.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Agree with Birch. Find what you want/compromise for on the lot. Inspect closely, negotiate your best deal. Offer ridiculously low, then be willing to go up to what you are willing to pay. The salesman expects you to haggle. It is part of the process.
Thanks guys. Good advice. I know some dealers who have "exclusive" brands and don't really advertise MSRP, but just their "sale price"...I guess there is no good way to know where to start negotiating on those, except for comparable competitive units? If there is another source, I'm open to it.
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

One thing which is common with almost all dealerships is that card in the trailer stating the price. You'll normally see something like:

MSRP $24,995.00
Discount $2,600.00
Your Price $22,395.00

Great deal. What MSRP means is Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. Key word being suggested. That above price scenario indicates a 10%-11% discount. In my minds eye if you aren't getting at least 15% off the MSRP walk away.
I'd start negotiations at 22%-24% off the MSRP.
And you can barter the price of a unit you order the same way. Get the MSRP of what you want and start at the low ball and work up. Don't let the dealer work you down. Make sure you have a calculator with you to run numbers. And remember when you get the order price it includes the delivered price.
I've never ordered an RV but I have done this with vehicles a few times.
Of course many times a dealer may have a unit on the lot that has been sitting there for a while he has 25%-30% off that looks darn good.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Fun View Post
Thanks guys. Good advice. I know some dealers who have "exclusive" brands and don't really advertise MSRP, but just their "sale price"...I guess there is no good way to know where to start negotiating on those, except for comparable competitive units? If there is another source, I'm open to it.
If I don't see the MSRP I ask for it. If they ain't got it I walk.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have done both with TTs and cars. Best results on the TT were off the lot my AF 22H was the one that had been on the lot the longest that meant a better deal for me. I simply looked at the various build plates on the TTs on the lot - yes they had several of them. It just so happened that the one the DW liked best was the oldest.

The previous TT was ordered sight unseen and was a total mess - like others said it had options I did not order - but got charged for - TT was bad from the start and got worse as time went on. Also my first and last IN built unit.

First new unit was an off the lot Komfort 20LB great rig.

Current situation is a semi custom order. Dealer did not have what we wanted on the lot but has one on order from the next build so we reserved one in the color scheme we wanted.

As for my trucks the last two have been special ordered (including the current one in my sig which is still in transit) and I have had great luck with them - I use a fleet buyer that I have known since 89 and he makes the process easy for either off the lot/dealer locate/ factory order.

I am not a haggler - I like the fleet buyer approach - work from invoice no haggles or hassles - here is the price - take it or leave it. With TTs, I do look at other dealers prices compared to what my dealer is asking - and in this case the result was the same price between two nearby dealers.

I also factor in how far it is to the dealer esp with TTs (not so much with autos) as that is where I will pay a bit more to the dealer that is closer.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Dealer markup on RVs is from about 35% to 45%... seriously! If you don't get 30% off you're being taken to the cleaners. I got 31% off on my last one. They are more likely to deal on last-year's model if you can find one that suits you. You might get as much as 35% off MSRP. Watch the little add ons. They wanted to charge me a large documentation fee. I was going to walk because of it, so they took it off. There was a little fridge and a 2X4 table they wanted way too much for. We deleted them. I bought the same table at Wal-Mart for much less and we didn't want the fridge anyway. Mine came with a 2-year factory warranty. They also had a "Warranty Forever" thing. It's "free" he said... but the $300 - 400- annual inspection by the DEALER to keep that warranty in affect isn't free. And even when the factory warranty is good, they will demand you have it in for inspection for the "free" warranty... and pay for it.

If I knew 33 years ago (when Judge Green broke up Ma Bell and I lost my job) what I know now... I'd probably be an RV dealer... ... ...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Fun View Post
You can see what other dealers are listing their's for on RVT.com or check on RVTrader.com. This will give you a good idea of the range of prices for a particular model.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Dealer markup on RVs is from about 35% to 45%... seriously!
I have limited experience with buying new but we came in about 32% off MSRP last month buying new. We did purchase a model sight unseen though, I would definitely recommend against that now. They showed us one that had been sold already but had more on the way. Assured us it would be the same. There were some minor differences, mostly cosmetic but I am OCD about things and noticed that things were caulked different, the one had drain valve where ours had drain plugs etc.
jayrodoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer