Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Question Cabinets? Screwing into floor?

Hey all,

I have a Keystone Summerland 1800BH and need to screw some cabinetry into the flooring. I am trying desperately to find any measurements or info on the flooring of my trailer so I know what type and length of screws to use.

We had the dealer remove the Queen bed from the front of the trailer, and we are going to permanently attach a desk to the floor where it was (this is a mobile office for my gf). I just don't have enough information on what to use to attached it to the floor, and the dealer wants $1000 to screw in 2 pieces of wood (20" long) into the floor... so, I'm trying to handle this myself (and with a friend who is a carpenter).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Measure pieces of wood cut to the inside length of the cabinet. Screw the 'cleats' into the floor with multiple screws, then place the cabinet over the cleats and put screws into the cabinet sides into the cleats. You can then hide the screws in the cabinet side with base board molding. I'd think screws into the floor plywood or particle board should anchor everything adequately, it doesn't need to be screwed through into the metal cross braces.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

The flooring will likely be 5/8" thick.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #4

plywood etc.

unfortunately screws don;t do well in plywood pr particle board.

Jim
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayman View Post
unfortunately screws don;t do well in plywood pr particle board.

Jim
Most all the forces on the screws holding in the floor is sideways, not straight pulling out of the plywood. If it's a real concern and you're sure the cabinet is going to be in that spot forever, a bit of construction adhesive with the screws will make a very secure assembly, probably stronger than the cabinet or desk it's holding.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

Yup, a little glue goes a long way. I'd do some math before buying screws. I wouldn't want screws that go through the plywood or osb board and into a pipe or wire or something. Like Bob said above laterally you'll be okay. And using the cleat method (if you can) is the best way to go.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Most all the forces on the screws holding in the floor is sideways, not straight pulling out of the plywood. If it's a real concern and you're sure the cabinet is going to be in that spot forever, a bit of construction adhesive with the screws will make a very secure assembly, probably stronger than the cabinet or desk it's holding.

better mouse trap.

Jim

Tags
scr