Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Cable and/or Satellite Feeds

Finally hit some campgrounds that have cable available for use! Woo hoo! My trailer has options for either cable use, or a feed for satellite use....one would think that we would hook up to cable....We did and had no signal. Multiple checks on the hookups inside left us puzzled. Just for the heck of it, my gal asked me to just try hooking up the cable to the satellite feed. We have signal!!!! What really is the difference between the two (I haven't called the dealership)? Isn't the signal the same? Is this something that needs repaired?

....also, along the same vein....We had perfect pictures at campground #1, campground #2 was EXTREMELY grainy and nearly unwatchable. Again, too late in the day to ask the hosts, but does this sound like the campground's issue or is there adjustments that can be made?

Thanks!

ampmtnbkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 2 cables marked SAT and CABLE are just coax wires going from the outside access point of the RV to the RV's entertainment console area.

The Cable TV wire is supposed to go from the access point to the TV (and via any switch as needed).

The SAT wire is intended to be used for a portable SAT antenna placed outside the RV, to feed a raw SAT signal from the antenna to a SAT receiver (this signal cannot be used by the TV without a SAT receiver).

Since the campground cable TV played through to the TV on the SAT wire/plug/feed, that means the inside ends of the 2 coax cables were swapped at some point. This is really no problem...but if you get SAT with a portable antenna in the future, it could be confusing.

If the last question is about campground cable TV, then a poor signal usually means the campground cable has been split too many times...nothing you can really do but complain.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Could be that the person on the assy line mislabeled the ports also.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

Curious, did you push the button to turn off the OTA antenna amplifier when using the cable connection? You will have loss of cable signal when amp light is on to connect rooftop antenna. If so then cables are mislabeled or swapped.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 AM   #5

I did try the amp button for s**** and giggles, to no beneficial result....thinking that the two feeds may have just been mislabelled as well.....
Old 08-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

Stan, we have only been to two parks with cable. We had perfect reception from the one in St. Augustine Florida. However, last week at Balmorhea State Park in Texas the reception was very noisy. So, it really just depends on the park. Just for grins today I verified, with a digital ohmmeter, that the satellite connection on the side of the trailer, same as yours, goes to the connector to the right of the TV connector above the TV. I also verified that park cable on the side of the trailer goes to the TV connector when the green light (amplifier) is switched off.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #7

Satellite/Cable

Ken....very interesting. We are heading out tomorrow (not sure if cable is available at the site), and if we have cable, will give that a try! ....thought we tried using the "TV" connection without the amplifier on, but has been a few days now....Thanks in advance and hoping you have solved the problem!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

OK Stan best of luck with it. Knowing the way Winnebago does things I would be extremely surprised if they crossed cables up. Of course one option would be to plug the park cable into the satellite input and hook the TV to the right connector since this cable doesn't go through a switch.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:11 AM   #9

ampmtnbkr2, just a little heads up when using cable hookups you need to go into your TV's setup and let it look for digital and antilog stations on the cable connection. It usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Don't forget the more users the weaker signal is (picture quality)
When I changed to HD/digital tv last year I thought the parks system was down and I spoke to the host he showed me and no amplifier switch is need.
I thanks it's funny that the manufactures mark your coax connector on the driver side "cable” and pass side “satellite” and they both can be used as either
Happy Trails

Oop I'm basing this off my 1999 Prowler which has antenna Amp booster and two cable hook ups on Drivers side and one Sat on Pass. side

Tags
satellite