Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #15

Thanks for the shout out guys. Logged into the Yahoo account - pending. Everything is a go for me pick up the Koala Dec 22. Sweet! Xmas present! My first impressions where overwhelming, after looking at some Cruise-Lite trailers. I was blown away by the workmanship. I wanted a wood sub-flooring - check, light weight dual axle trailer - check, larger bathroom and shower - check, fiberglass - check, not white trailer - check, open floor plan - check, no carpet - check, no duct work on the floor - check, bunks - check, queen bed - check, quality feel - check, and aluminum wheels - sweet! This trailer fit perfect for my needs. I'm pumped with this purchase. Can't wait to get out there next year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
...queen bed - check, ...
Expect to need to replace the stock mattress very soon. We replaced ours before the first trip, with a Serta Carswell Euro-Top = soft on top but firm support. First step is to measure your stock mattress. It's probably an "RV Queen size", 60" x 76". Mattress stores, bed shops, and furniture stores don't carry that size. In ours, we could barely fit in a normal queen-size 60" x 80", so we bought the replacement at Sam's Club for only $400. If you can stand a premium-priced air mattress or foam rubber mattress, Camping World sells RV Queen Size Sleep-Number and Tempur-Pedic, as well as less-expensive brands of foam mattresses. But I don't want an air mattress or a foam mattress, so I made do with the regular queen-size interspring mattress by Serta.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #17

I'm thinking my current mattress, which is awesome and 10 years old, will go in the camper. My daughter has expressed interest in moving up to a larger mattress and I've been wanting a new. Nothing I hate more than mattress shopping. I did a fly by the other day and they still do the pressure sales, which is so old school. I'm always amazed how some things never evolve. Anyhoo, thanks for the heads up!
Picking up the camper on the 29th now. Seems my salesman was a little excited and didn't realize they were closed on the 22nd. LOL
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm thinking my current mattress, which is awesome and 10 years old, will go in the camper.
Your floorplan means you have free air at the end of the bed, so you can install a longer mattress. The disadvantage is you will reduce the walking-around room at the end of the bed by 6". And the last 6" at the foot end of the mattress will not have anything under it for support. On mine, that meant I could no longer walk around the end of the bed, but had to squeeze between the end of the mattress and, for your floorplan, the frame of the dinette.

With some basic carpentry skills, you can replace the plywood base of the "lift up" bed with a longer piece of plywood. Then the mattress would have full support under the entire length of the bed. (No, I haven't done that yet, but it appears to be a relatively easy mod.)

Advantage to using your old mattress is the sheets will fit. The RV queen size mattress is 6" shorter, so regular queen size fitted sheets won't fit. RV Queen size sheets are available at some RV supply stores, but not at the normal places such as JCPenny or Bed&Bath. My wife has a Bernia sewing machine, and knows how to use it, so she can alter 60x80 sheets to fit 60x74 with no problems. But very few younger women have a sewing machine or know how to sew.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Wow! This is the only dedicated Koala forum I can find?! Anyhoo, looking to pick up a 2013 Koala 21BH in 10 days. Trying to do some last minute searches to support my decision. Thus far I've read that customer service is second to none. Unfortunately, that means I've read a few horror stories to go with.
This will be my first new purchase; following 2 used purchases over the last 10 years. Both were Jayco's (Kiwi & Jayflight). Sold the Kiwi because of a move and my Jayco was totaled by the insurance company do to a roof leak. Not what you'd think, I mean this leak was tiny and there was a small 6" soft spot by the door. Insurance said they don't fix leaks and only option was totally it out. Ugh! Loved that camper.
Anyhoo, so here I am purchasing a new camper. Woo-hooo!
I bought a 2012 in July and used it a bunch but now it's put away for the winter. I couldn't be happier with it. We absolutely love it. We do a lot of NASCAR dry camping and it does well. Also I did get a foam mattress top for the queen bed at Costco. I have no complaints at all.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #20

Thx Smokey, great mod idea. BBQ appreciate the input. Have a great Xmas guys.