Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My bama tags run out this month and I went over to txdot.gov for fee schedules and the more welcome back home fees

the tag lady told me it would be 109 per year to register, not inlcuding the 10 bux for a "safety" inspection sticker. i did the inspection, and yep i should have got kissed to.

anyway they want me to weigh it and then base the tags on weight. but the website gives and alternate method for them to figure fees
lenght x width x20 = 6080 pounds for me
eeven though i now we weigh 12000

so if i may be so bld what is everyone else paying?
thanks
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My bama tags run out this month and I went over to txdot.gov for fee schedules and the more welcome back home fees

the tag lady told me it would be 109 per year to register, not inlcuding the 10 bux for a "safety" inspection sticker. i did the inspection, and yep i should have got kissed to.

anyway they want me to weigh it and then base the tags on weight. but the website gives and alternate method for them to figure fees
lenght x width x20 = 6080 pounds for me
eeven though i now we weigh 12000

so if i may be so bld what is everyone else paying?
thanks
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been planning on using a Texas domicile when I start fulltiming. But this may make me rethink. I only pay 25 bucks a year to register my 16,500 # trailer. The high registration cost and the extra drivers license requirement, I think I need to rethink becoming a Texan.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
$86.30/year for registration (tags) and $12.50/year for inspection (required for trailers >4500 lbs GVWR). However, that's all I pay since Texas doesn't collect a personal property or excise tax on vehicles (or anything else other than real property, for that matter). It also doesn't have state or city income taxes like I paid during my 22 years in Ohio.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It all boils down to the fact that they will get your $$$$$ one way or the other.

A while back someone posted a comparison of total taxes paid by state and Texas was toward the bottom. They were complaining about the RV tag fees in Oklahoma....truth was they were the cheapest on total tax bite in the country.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
serioulsy looking now at trading to a DP
because i can transfer my disabled veteran plate t it and they are 9 bux a year, plus state inspection of 10 bux

going satuuday mof to look round

$86.30/year for registration rusty how much does your fiver weigh? i was thinking of taking everything out and weigh it, but thats still gong to be close to 11200

Old 09-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not trying to funny or nosy, but, is the difference between a $5.00 and a $83.00 going to make any real difference in your year?

Having lived long term in both a motorhome and a 5er, I'd take the 5er over the motorhome any day.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
Not trying to funny or nosy, but, is the difference between a $5.00 and a $83.00 going to make any real difference in your year?

Having lived long term in both a motorhome and a 5er, I'd take the 5er over the motorhome any day.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i know what you mean i like teh fiver and the room and all
but this weight tax is ridcolous, and the inspection especially since so many run around with no tailights

Old 09-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powerboatr:
but this weight tax is ridcolous, and the inspection especially since so many run around with no tailights </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have no problem with either. The registration fees go toward the construction and maintenance of roads, and the vehicle weight is a major factor in road deterioration. At the same time, I have no problem with Texas' effort to insure that trailers &gt;4,500 lbs have working brakes, tail and brake lights, etc. A side benefit of these safety inspections is that, if the owner doesn't have current insurance coverage (on the towing vehicle in the case of a trailer), then no inspection sticker is issued.

My total outlay to the state for my 5th wheel is less than $100/year. As Ken said, ain't no big thing.

Rusty
Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powerboatr:
but this weight tax is ridcolous, and the inspection especially since so many run around with no tailights </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have no problem with either. The registration fees go toward the construction and maintenance of roads, and the vehicle weight is a major factor in road deterioration. At the same time, I have no problem with Texas' effort to insure that trailers &gt;4,500 lbs have working brakes, tail and brake lights, etc. A side benefit of these safety inspections is that, if the owner doesn't have current insurance coverage (on the towing vehicle in the case of a trailer), then no inspection sticker is issued.

My total outlay to the state for my 5th wheel is less than $100/year. As Ken said, ain't no big thing.

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rusty
i would be curious as to your fivers weight that was used to register it. was it weighed or did they use the builders weight?
my builder weight was less than 10k but it really weighs empty at 11000- 15000 depending on our load out.
she based reg fee on 11k of weight.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
I bought the 5th wheel in Texas. Its registered weight is whatever the dealer put on the paperwork when they sent it in. I'm sure it's well below the 5th wheel's GVWR.

Rusty
Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #12

Remember to check your insurance rates too.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well I went and had her weighed so i could get tagged
not to bad only 14600 sitting on the scales, not bad considering its empty weight was supposed to be 10800.

gcvw went down to 22765 so at least we lost some weight.
axles are still to close for comfort at 11825

all in all 109 per year from now on.
thanks all for the words O wisdom

Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #14

RustyJC,
I have lived in Texas over 50 Yrs. I have never had to show my insurance card to get an inspection Sticker on any of My trailors.
That only applies to Powered Units, Cars, Trucks, Motocycles, etc.
Just My $.02

Later