RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

CAMCO ReCurve R6Hitch

Hi there Guy and Gal RVers

After 20 years owning/using a 32’ 5W we are in the process of down sizing to a 28’8” OAL TT (24’ box length) Specificity an Outdoors RV, Timber Ridge 24RKS.

Does anybody here have any first hand experience/knowledge with SPECIFICALLY the- CAMCO EAZ-LIFT Re Curve R6 hitch with 1000/1200# spring bars?

I am not a fan of the TT Sway Control that you have to manually re-adjust when backing in to a camping site. The EAZ-LIFT automatically “locks” for straight towing and then automatically “disengages” when turning.

Thank you very much for your time!

Richard Cox

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #2

I don’t have any experience with that hitch. Have you ruled out Equalizer and Blue Ox? Neither have to be changed when backing, etc.

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

Yep, I have the exact hitch on my rig. What do you want to know?
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

I never did anything different to backup with my Equal-I-zer hitch.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #5

I was scoffing about the idea of a Camco-branded distribution hitch. Then I looked this thing up. It's a cool design. I love how the bars aren't hanging far below the trailer tongue. And it looks like it wouldn't need to be nearly as greasy as my equalizer.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
I was scoffing about the idea of a Camco-branded distribution hitch. Then I looked this thing up. It's a cool design. I love how the bars aren't hanging far below the trailer tongue. And it looks like it wouldn't need to be nearly as greasy as my equalizer.
Only grease area is a zerc fitting at the pivot point of the head.

I love the hitch. Easy to hook up and zero sway with no binding of the hitch in tight turns.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #7

Thanks to ALL who have responded to my original post!

I guess that I should have included more information in my question.

Sometime back in the late 80’s or early 90’s We purchased a 26’(?) Road Ranger TT from a local dealer (no longer in business) included in that package was a WD hitch with a Sway Control feature (brand unknown)

What I remember is that it was a round spring bar that attached from the bottom of the hitch. At the flat end of the spring bar was a flat topped pyramid of a “sticky soft white metal” that mated with an inverted flat topped pyramid which “locked” the TT/TV in the anti sway position. When you turned the TV/RV direction, the lateral movement of the spring bars caused the slope of the pyramids to “unlock” allowing non-resistance to turning the unit.

Guess that I am somewhat biased in my thoughts, even though it was primitive compared to what is available today, it worked, “locking” for towing and “un-locking” when turning. The CAMCO R6 would be the modern version of what I remember.

The Reese Straight Line Dual Cam hitch is another one that locks/un-locks. However, it is some what more expensive (not really an issue), more complex, slightly heavier, difficult on the initial set up and adjustment, though after initial set up, hooking up really isn’t that difficult.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
Thanks to ALL who have responded to my original post!

I guess that I should have included more information in my question.

Sometime back in the late 80’s or early 90’s We purchased a 26’(?) Road Ranger TT from a local dealer (no longer in business) included in that package was a WD hitch with a Sway Control feature (brand unknown)

What I remember is that it was a round spring bar that attached from the bottom of the hitch. At the flat end of the spring bar was a flat topped pyramid of a “sticky soft white metal” that mated with an inverted flat topped pyramid which “locked” the TT/TV in the anti sway position. When you turned the TV/RV direction, the lateral movement of the spring bars caused the slope of the pyramids to “unlock” allowing non-resistance to turning the unit.

Guess that I am somewhat biased in my thoughts, even though it was primitive compared to what is available today, it worked, “locking” for towing and “un-locking” when turning. The CAMCO R6 would be the modern version of what I remember.

The Reese Straight Line Dual Cam hitch is another one that locks/un-locks. However, it is some what more expensive (not really an issue), more complex, slightly heavier, difficult on the initial set up and adjustment, though after initial set up, hooking up really isn’t that difficult.
Still curious what your question is. How do I like it? Does it prevent sway? How well does it return weight to the front end of the TV? How easy is it to hook and unhook? Does it make noise like some hitches? What maintenance is needed? How easy is it to install?

So I'll make some comments and we'll see what I don't cover.

It's easy to install. You have to understand how to set up a WD hitch but if you do then it's very basic. The trailer side clamps to the frame and the height of the hitch is adjusted through standard bolt setup. Changing the angle of the head adjusts the amount to weight returned to the front end, just as with any hitch. No washers on this hitch as with some. There a "thumb screw" that is adjusted in and out and then a set screw that locks the angle and then bolts are tightened. Sway control is achieved by 2 bearings that are pressing up into a detent. They can be "turned off or on" by turning a hex bolt on either side of the hitch. It is obvious if you forget to engage them so it clearly works.

As for hooking up I can be ready to roll in about 5 min. Put the hitch in the receiver, back up, lower the trailer and lock, lift the back of the truck with the tongue hitch so the bars can be put on the frame brackets and lower the trailer. Done. The only time I mess with the sway control is when loading and unloading. It frees some of the tension in the bars to clear them from the brackets.

All in all its a good hitch. I set up and have used used my dad's 4 point square bar hitch and I like the R6 more. There isn't the resistance at the head on the R6 when swinging the bars into place that there is on the 4 point that my dad has.

My setup is a 2012 F250 and a 30ft approx 6600lbs loaded Jayco. Approx tongue weight is 900lbs. No sway in any of the conditions I've driven in. 20mph gust cross winds push but no sway.