Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Use it all the time. Keep an eye on the toad. Backing. Traffic behind.

+1 we use it all the time my trailer is 35'6" long

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I used to drive dump trucks, and vans with no rear window, so I'm very accustomed to using mirrors to change lanes, backup, etc. I've always said that it's easier for me to back a big rig into a tight spot that it is to drive in forwards, because the mirrors give me a much better view as to exactly where I am (On the trucks I drove I couldn't actually SEE the hood and/or the fenders over the front wheels, same as my MH, and like many cars today. You just have to know about where these things are.).

That said, I love my rear view camera. It's nice to what's RIGHT behind me that doesn't show in the mirrors. I leave it on all the time (on when driving) so that it also acts something like a rear view mirror for those tiny cars that like to ride so close that I can't see them in the mirrors. As was pointed out earlier, I don't DO anything about those folks that are too close, but it's nice to know that they are there.
I'm one of those that constantly scans my mirrors so that I know what's going on behind and beside me, as well as in front. As was also pointed out, that's very helpful in the event I need to make a rapid avoidance/defense maneuver of some sort. I pretty much already know "there's room for me behind that white pickup in the right lane" or "there's nowhere for me to go to left side" because I've been watching all along.
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes times two. One on the truck, one on the trailer. The one on the truck will save your marriage if you are married. The one on the back of the trailer is great as a rear view mirror. I leave mine on 100% of the time while I'm driving so I can see behind the trailer and easily tell whether I can change lanes safely. Also great when parking the trailer of course. I'd spend the money for this over and over again.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In my opinion, back up cameras are one of those modern life improvements that do you need it, maybe not, but once you have one, you wonder how you ever got along without it. My work truck has a high end one, 6" monitor, microphone (you can hear whats in back of you too when backing), so I'm spoiled. I got a 100 wireless license plate cam for my personal truck, not nearly as good, but it does the trick.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

forot to mention, i can hear the DW when i;m backing up and she can

hear me, and i can see her.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #20

I only have a wireless back up camera that a friend gave me (he bought it at a yard sale and it was new) I love it, it makes hook up much easier and better.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #21

I'm comfortable backing my 24-foot TT using mirrors - and DW's signals if there's some unfamiliar challenge. I assume a camera would add some comfort/safety factor. If I get another rig, I might opt for one.
LewBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #22

I just bought a new wired Camera for my trailer and it is great.

I had a wireless one I did not like kept cutting out on me.

I like to leave it on all the time so I can see behind.

Great help changing lanes and it is wonderful with the Microphone when backing no more yelling wife (well when backing anyway)

The infra red allows me to see even in the dark storage bay.

IMHO it is another great tool to have not essential but very nice.
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
In my opinion, back up cameras are one of those modern life improvements that do you need it, maybe not, but once you have one, you wonder how you ever got along without it.
Ditto. I won't even drive a car without a backup camera these days.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #24
IC2

I'm adding one to our 5er ----- just because I can. Since we have had some sort of pretty big 5er or TT since the mid '70s don't think I really need one to back into a parking space but since they are so inexpensive, it is a good idea. It will be hooked up through my Garmin 760RV GPS. Not sure yet if I'm going to use the back up wire for power or a separate switched source though the latter way sounds best as I can then use it for seeing what's around the back side before I do something dumb.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera