Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #1

Camera or no camera

Opinions about backup cameras. Are they necessary or will somekind of mirrors work just as well?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have someone that travels with you all the time, then work out some hand signals and use them.

Most of my backing is done without a camera. When I need one, I use a GoPro. I have the GoPro for other reasons, and it works well for a back up camera as well. I bought one at Costco for just under $300.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #3

How about those drivers who love to snuggle up to your spare tire and you can't see them
Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What would you do about them if you knew they were there? Why would that be different from any other driving situation?

If you say you would slow down and/or leave more following distance in front of you, why not just do that all the time, since it makes you safer?
Old 01-12-2016, 11:52 PM   #5

GO to a large empty parking lot and PRACTICE

PRACTICE making TURNS, PARKING, BACKING UP, HITCHING/UNHITCHING straight on and at various angles

PRACTICE.........Changing lanes

And if you can't see using your mirrors.........get proper towing mirrors so you can see alongside trailer and behind trailer
Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had one on a TT, didn't have them on our first two MH's either. Got one when we got the 35' Santara and haven't been without one since.
But, I never really missed them on a TT either even when we had the 26'er. Just didn't need a camera on that short a rig.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
I like that I can see my toad back there all day long with my camera. I also have turning signal cameras but I don't use them much. I'm happier using my mirrors.

As far as backing up, my Ford Explorer has back up beepers and I think they are away better than a camera.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Use it all the time. Keep an eye on the toad. Backing. Traffic behind.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:55 AM   #9

I like the camera behind the truck.. easy hookup to travel trailer.. first time, every time. front of trailer hitch is painted WHITE.. with a Red vertical Line.

I do NOT use wife for backing trailer... she stays in right seat.. and keeps her mouth closed and Head back.

I do NOT need help backing ..
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #10

No camera...

Doesn't do a lick of good if the camera is going to be cover up with 4 tons of road dust or mud. All I'll see on the screen is a black screen. When I go camping with the RV I'm typically a ways off the paved roads in the back country away from people and such. I'm not afraid to us my RV and get it dirty or muddy.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #11

I use it to know exactly how close I can back to something.

I use it on the highway to know what is right behind me.

I use it when backing and my bride is trying to direct, because it has Sound, and her voice is a lot easier to understand than her rap artist hand signals
Old 01-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cameras and monitors are getting very in expensive, less than $100 off Amazon. I added a license plate frame camera to the car I tow behind the coach with a wireless video transmitter that works well. Primarily us the camera on the coach for backing and such but in heavy traffic having the camera on the tow vehicle allows me to ensure I have an open lane to move into.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
cmcguire48-

In my opinion, a camera is useful but not necessary. Great mirrors, and training yourself to use them, are absolutely necessary.

That said, I put a camera on our former coach and our new coach came with one. We rarely used the old camera for backing (I couldn't get used to the wide-angle view), preferring to get hand signals from the one who was on the ground. The new camera comes with a microphone, so like "bamaboy473" I look forward to hearing from my wife in addition to her hand signals.

We do keep the camera on while going down the road, to know what's going on in the big blind spot behind the coach.

For changing lanes, if the mirrors say "no go," it's no go, even if the camera says "go." Constantly scanning the road and the mirrors is essential to driving safety. You need to be prepared to change lanes quickly (but without undue haste) at any moment. The need to stay on top of this is one of the reasons we drive about half the miles in a day that we would drive in a car.

You asked a great question!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Use it all the time. Keep an eye on the toad. Backing. Traffic behind.

+1 we use it all the time

Jim

Tags
camera