Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #1

Campground full, very bad smell coming from black water tank

Seems this happens every time the park is full up. We got some pipeline workers crowding every part of Kentucky and I dunno what they're pouring down the drain but oh my lord. It smells like a combo of dead animals and ammonia. I'm used to feedback from other folks tanks and am not surprised at a slight poo odor when one or more dumps one, as the way it's set up here, it back feeds into everyone else's. We've learned to just get used to it. But now, hell! Does anyone know a solution I can pour into mine to help? The bathroom is uninhabitable currently unless you spray tons of lysol or hold your breath.
Nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Keep your valves closed. You'll have to watch your gauges ( if you trust them ) or dump your gray tank every other day and black tank every 5-6 days. That's what I did when that happened.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't suggest any chemicals or sprays, but do you have both black and grey valves closed? The sewer gas must be getting past them somehow. One thing I always try to do is put a dip in the sewer hose so it forms a U bend. Water in there should help act as a barrier.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #4

I usually keep mine 1/3 open to let some collect and dissolve and still dump, as mine never moves and it got tedious to keep dumping it every few days. I'll suppose I'll close it but it's a bear to open back again. As for gauges mine is too old for those, it's not fancy like the big ones the workers use lol

I always keep grey open 24/7 because it fulls up too fast. One shower and it's full
Old 04-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #5

Start the Coach and leave....
Old 04-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
In your sewer output hose. Make a U in it where it is close to your outside connection.
That will stop any bad gasses getting into your black tank or gray tanks.
It will also stop any bugs/flies getting to them.

There is a reason under all your sinks they are a U pipe.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdalzell1 View Post
I usually keep mine 1/3 open to let some collect and dissolve and still dump, as mine never moves and it got tedious to keep dumping it every few days. I'll suppose I'll close it but it's a bear to open back again. As for gauges mine is too old for those, it's not fancy like the big ones the workers use lol

I always keep grey open 24/7 because it fulls up too fast. One shower and it's full

Well you're doing it all wrong. Keep them closed. As for the valve being hard to operate, no wonder, you might have a turd jammed in that partial opening.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Seems this happens every time the park is full up. We got some pipeline workers crowding every part of Kentucky and I dunno what they're pouring down the drain but oh my lord. It smells like a combo of dead animals and ammonia. I'm used to feedback from other folks tanks and am not surprised at a slight poo odor when one or more dumps one, as the way it's set up here, it back feeds into everyone else's. We've learned to just get used to it. But now, hell! Does anyone know a solution I can pour into mine to help? The bathroom is uninhabitable currently unless you spray tons of lysol or hold your breath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Keep your valves closed.

Quote:
Nickdalzell1
One solution to that "self inflicted" problem is to ONLY open a dump valve while you're dumping a tank.
(Forming a P-trap in your 3" sewer hose is another).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

It's hard to budge because it seldom gets use. The plastic handle broke off ages ago so I can only use vice grips and a hammer to move it.

My trailer is converted into a mobile home. I'm a full timer but a parker. I picked a spot, had this hulk towed here and parked for good. No wheels, eventually underpinnings. The ground is so close to the axles there isn't a way to u bend but thanks for the suggestion.

The tank is tiny, both for grey and black. A single 5 minute navy shower will fill the grey. Two nights and black is full. The trailer is my home. And it's tedious to keep opening and closing the thing. Most of the time neighbors are few, any smell I get is mild. This is the first time in the 7 years of living here that the place has been this crowded.

As for moving, well there's two issues. 1 I have no truck, 2 I never intended to move this place.

I'll close the valve this time because I need to breathe. Hopefully whatever turned an otherwise quiet and picturesque landscape into diesel trucker city won't be around much longer.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #10

You may be creating your own problem -. Just to let you know you could be starting a pyramid where your own pool is starting to pile back up it will give very hard always keep the valve closed until it's near full. Use plenty of water when flushing also. It may help soften your pyramid you could be smelling you... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #11

I don't even hook up my drain hoses until I dump, unless we stay long enough to have to drain the grey water due to taking showers everyday. Our black tanks never get full enough to have to dump, so I only do it when we leave. We have had the smell your talking about coming from the outside air, but never from inside the MH. Occasionally the sink will get a minor odor to it and then we just put one of those self dissolving lemon tabs down the drain and any odor goes away immediately.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

If your tank is filling up with a 5 minute shower, then you probably have a large amount of crud in your tank - you need to get it completely flushed. If you have been leaving the tanks drain valves open, then odds are the crud has dried out and solidified, so it'll be hard to dislodge.

Ditto on all the comments above about not leaving the drain valve open. Look at it this when - when the valve is open - all the liquid immediately drains out, leaving a layer of solids in the tank.....those solids then dry out until the next shower, at which time the liquid again immediately drains out, leaving another layer of solids....that dries out again.

The reason for leaving the drain valves closed is you then accumulate lots of liquid - which can all rush out, carrying the solids with it.

So leaving the valves open is the cause of the problems you are having. It's also creating a simple tube between your RV and the septic tank - basically, you are venting the septic tank into your trailer with the valves open.

As for the broken valve - it needs to be replaced, and is probably damaged due to the accmulation of solids - you can order the kits online or get a dealer to do this.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #13

Without going into all the other stuff, if you have water in the p-traps under sinks and shower and water in the toilet bowl, no odors should be able to enter camper.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Campground full, very bad smell coming from black water tank

As has been said you probably have a cone of solids in your tank. First stop leaving the valves open and get the broken valve repaired/replaced. Second take a look at the Tank Techs web site http://tanktechsrx.com/unclogging-yo...ank-or-toilet/ they have a product that over time may break up that cone, but the best thing is to get both of the tanks cleaned (pressure washed). Then leave those valves closed the smell will not be able to get into your camper.

By the way, the smell may not be just from your black tank, it could be from your grey tank. If you are using chemicals in your black tank drop a packet into your grey tank to clean it.

Also look into SeaLevel gauges https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/ they are an after market tank monitor that mounts on the outside of the tank. One, it won't get clogged and two it is easy to to retro fit.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, smell, tank, water