Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Campground security

In cruising the forum today I notices a posting on battery locks. Has anyone had, or know of, a battery being stolen off their TT in a campground? The same goes for TPMS sensors. I use a secured storage area when not using the TT so that isn't much of a concern.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was a distributor/dealer for a TPMS system I heard of one instance of TPMS sensors being stolen. I had the screw on ones for years with no problems. The Magna has internal ones but they're out of production now and I'm not sure I can even get batteries for them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
From what I've read on the forums 90% of theft is occurring either will the units are in a storage lot, or parked in the owners driveway. Actual theft in campgrounds of these items would be very rare.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #4

Only been doing the RV thing for 3 years or so , and have never felt any concern about security ( maybe a few late partiers ) in any campground we have been in, But we stay mostly in state parks.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi All,
when I was in Gulf State Park last year a couple of thieves had taken a tailgator satellite and a yeli cooler so I guess they will take anything also when we were is Weathers Nettles campground in AZ.a person tried to steal the Harley license plate off of the front of our toad but he seen me and took off running and he was a older guy like me.Good Luck and Safe travels.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Most campgrounds are safe and I would not worry too much I leave my basement doors unlocked every night. IF I feel the campground is not safe I move or lock up my stuff but have yet to find one I was nervous about
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:07 AM   #7

Thefts can happen anywhere. We've been camping and snow-birding since 2007 and never had anything stolen but others have. The private CGs are safer all around (in my opinion) than the SPs and NPs where people are coming and going and no one is paying attention. We frequent a COE not far from where we live. It's off the beaten path, quiet and has a gate that's closed at night. We both feel very safe there and have never had anything stolen.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
In cruising the forum today I notices a posting on battery locks. Has anyone had, or know of, a battery being stolen off their TT in a campground? The same goes for TPMS sensors. I use a secured storage area when not using the TT so that isn't much of a concern.
In about 20 years of rving, in every kind of campground, we have never had anything stolen from a campground. But we did have two new 6v batteries stolen from a KOA "secure" storage facility. When I reported that to them, they could not care less.

Because of the inconvenience it would cause us us, I lock up everything, batteries, propane tanks, spare tire, wheel chocks, Tailgater, pedestal surge protector, all storage compartments, and just for kicks, at night, we even lock our truck and trailer doors.

Color me paranoid...

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

You will hear a few who have had their batteries or generators stolen, but usually while in storage. Rare to occur in a campground.

I grew up in NYC where everyone steals so I am obsessive about locking up things. Any lock can be defeated by someone who is determined; a lock only keeps the casual thief from stealing - will hopefully move on to easier opportunities.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Color me paranoid...

Bob[/QUOTE]

I'd call you smart, as only a fool takes chances!
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:53 AM   #11

I had my pry bar to lock the wdh spring bars stolen once. what a pain to hook up to go home....
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:06 AM   #12

Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
In about 20 years of rving, in every kind of campground, we have never had anything stolen from a campground. But we did have two new 6v batteries stolen from a KOA "secure" storage facility. When I reported that to them, they could not care less.

Because of the inconvenience it would cause us us, I lock up everything, batteries, propane tanks, spare tire, wheel chocks, Tailgater, pedestal surge protector, all storage compartments, and just for kicks, at night, we even lock our truck and trailer doors.

Color me paranoid...

Bob
I am with you Bob call me a lockaholic! If I did not lock up and stuff was missing then this is how I would feel. If it is still missing I did what I could to prevent it.
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #13

I liken the campsite security to mall cops.... just keep your stuff locked up and out of sight..
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 AM   #14

We've been camping since 1988 and haven't had anything stolen (knock on wood!). And, for many years, we were in a popup trailer. But, I've always locked up bikes and secured cameras, laptop computer, etc. when necessary. Of course, theft can happen, but most campers are honest folks, and I think we tend to keep an eye out for each other. If I had a generator, I would have it secured with a lock. But, I've never worried about my battery.

When my trailer is stored, I've always removed the battery. But we know how easy it would be to break into any of our storage compartments.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground