Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

Campground Set-Up Checklist

Only had my travel trailer out once (coachman freedom express liberty 322RLDS) and did several things twice because didn't know what I was doing or needed to be done first. Can someone give me a list in the order they are done to set up at the site? Thanks Bill
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #2

Level side to side
Chock
Unhitch
Level front to back
Slides out
Stabilizers down
connect Electric
Connect Water
Open cold beverage
Attend to DW needs and desires ;-)
Turn party machine on

Insert-
"Get kids entertained/walk dogs" at the appropriate time depending on the age.

When kids were young, they walked the dog when we arrived. As they got older I used the time to teach them how to set up. Eventually I just moved the truck and they did the rest...now they are gone and it is back to square 1.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Level side to side
Chock
Unhitch
Level front to back
Slides out
Stabilizers down
connect Electric
Connect Water
Open cold beverage
Attend to DW needs and desires ;-)
Turn party machine on
I'd change one thing in the above list. Stabilizers go down before you put the slides out, not doing so will tilt the trailer out of level before you stabilize.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

If you have a smart phone, try the RV Checklist app which has nice ordered lists for departure, srrival and setup, and preparation. And you can edit the lists as you need to. For example, I have no slides so I can eliminate that item.

The above list looks pretty good to me, too.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
(Family of 3) After I back into a site the 3 of us all have our duties. Between the three we can get set up in about 20 minutes. And that is a hybrid tt. Once leveled, my wife takes care of most of the inside stuff, my son and myself handle outside.

~ As I back into a site, I'll stop 5' or 10' feet from the final parking position and get out to make a decision if we need to get the Lynx-Levelers out to raise one side or not.

~ Place wheel chokes, un-hitching, get the 12" level out to level back to front with the tongue jack. Plug in power cord. Give wife thumbs up to move slide out.

~ Wife will then do "her" stuff inside. For all I know she is sitting down having a cold one. Don't want to go there. Did once, and got a certain middle finger.

~ Hand son the tool to crank the 4 stabilizers. Son and me will un-latch bunk ends and fold out bunks.

~ Wife will hand me the outdoor mat, shoe box, toy box, camp chairs and inflatable kayaks.

~ Son and me pull down the awning. I'll get my small table out from the storage area. Sit down, open a beverage...and relax.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #6

also add enough space for slide out so the dw dosnt run the slide into the service post at the rv slot.3 1/2 feet needed for our slide out.
jsdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

Thanks to all that responded. This will help.
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

It's already been said, but if your site isn't really level (I bring a bubble-level), make sure you have some old pieces of pressure treated 2x10 to stick under the low side tires and pull the trailer up on those to help the left/right level.
DO NOT use the stabilizer jacks to level your trailer. You need to put something under the low side tires and THEN block the tires and unhitch and use the tongue jack for the front/back level. And THEN put the stabilizers down.

Insert cold-one at your discretion.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have found that a ten pack of Lynx-Levelers has done the trick for us since 2005. I will pay attention when reserving a site, as many places we go we have been there before, but there are times we are new to a place.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I have found that a ten pack of Lynx-Levelers has done the trick for us since 2005. I will pay attention when reserving a site, as many places we go we have been there before, but there are times we are new to a place.
Funny you mention that. We recently returned from one of our favorite state parks (Huntsville State Park in Texas). They have pull through sites and some are so off that it takes me 4 sets of lynx blocks to level and to have each jack touch the ground. The next closest place was that same park which required me to have 3 sets of blocks. All the other places we have been required two or less sets.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
It's already been said, but if your site isn't really level (I bring a bubble-level)
Regarding levels, I use those stick or screw on levels in the front drivers side corner of the rig. One level on each side of the corner. That helps me quickly level by myself. I also have one in the middle of the rear wall just to verify since my trailer is 35'
Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I used to like to connect water sewer electric BEFORE slides out. This keeps me from hitting my back or having to crawl under slides to connect things.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I'd change one thing in the above list. Stabilizers go down before you put the slides out, not doing so will tilt the trailer out of level before you stabilize.
Thanks for pointing this out. I checked the manual and you are correct. Jacks down then slides out.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #14

Everyone does it a little different and each trailer is a little different. My list is a little different but level side to side is number 1. We actually put the trailer where we want it, check for level, place levelers next to tires if needed, pull up, place levelers and then back on. Double check before unhooking. If good I usually like to plug in before unhooking and doing the front to back leveling. At this point I like to do the water in sewer as my wife or son are doing the corner jacks. Once this is done the slides and awning go out and the rest can be done in any order.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground