Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #15

Biiiiiiiiiig 10-4 on the America The Beautiful Senior Pass !!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 05:17 AM   #16

After reading all the comments I've had an attitude change - now looking foreward to our next trip. Is there such a thing as a "Canada" travel pass ?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #17

camping newbie

Kudos to the couple 78 & 74. We are 77 & 70 and just getting back into camping. i don't believe there are any breaks for us seniors here in Canada as far as I know (both born and bred here). US seniors are given better discounts etc. on most stuff.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #18

New Oldies

Just got a 2017 Winnebago Micro Mini. Wanted something I could tow with the Tacoma. Took it out for the first trip last weekend and we are hooked. I just retired at 62 and the wife will retire at the end of the year so we will use the Senior pass for the national parks.. It is a small trailer, but is just the two of us and a lab. We can always go bigger.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallance View Post
Just scanned through the thread "Age and travel trailers etc" Looks like the average age is 30-40. Have been working on my old Prowler, 1994,22ft for about 2 years and have only taken a few short trips. Finally,with new axles,water heater,fridge, patched roof etc we are ready to go on a longer trip.
Now I find I have some fairly serious health problems. I am 72 and wife 66.
Would like to hear from any of you older campers and how you cope with the
inevitable problems associated with getting past our prime. Sell truck and trailer and buy a little car or what......
My husband and I are about the same age. Me 67 and hubby 71. We have a 2013 F150 Ford and will be towing a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RBS (RBS = rear bath and has slide)..
I feel your pain, we haven't had our new TT out yet. My husband got sick so our planned trips was canceled and now he will be using a mobility scooter. Haven't figured how to haul both the scooter and TT..

We live in Florida in a KOA in our park model, but we like to still travel and see the sights in other states. There is so much to enjoy. We have many friends that are our age or older and they are still traveling happily down the road. Just have health insurance that you can use anywhere and enjoy your golden years. We will be replanting our trip as soon as possible. Both my husband and I can drive the truck with trailer. I hear our Jayco calling to us come and take me on a journey. Lol

So don't let age stop you from enjoying the traveling life.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm 63 going on 39 wife is 56 going on 70. Secret is I exercise 5 days a week. No I don't run 7 miles, or hike 15 but I do a simple light weight gym style workout. I lift weights, they are light but they are weights. No, my last name is not shwartsnegger, but it helps me keep my muscle mass up. Started out with cans of peaches ( then I ate them for breakfast) then bought some dumbells, didn't taste good at all! now have graduated to full bench presses and such when I'm at home base, and ride my bike 1 or 3 miles daily. When on the road I either ride or walk daily morning and night when driving. Found that simple exercise seems to help make me feel like I'm 39 rather than 70. So, get your butt out of the recliner and start moving and your health will improve. Took a heart condition to shake me out of mine.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #21

68 going on 69 and DW if 47 years on this 8/30 is 67 going on 68. Had 34' gas MH from 06-09 and want to travel again with our own bed so saved about $100k and yesterday purchased a Rockwood 1905 with every option to tow behind our 16 Cherokee High Altitude Limited 4x4 AD II 3.2 w/tow. Should be here 5-8 weeks and spent all day going through all the old MH stuff throwing a lot away but packing lite for the new adventures that await us!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
68 going on 69 and DW if 47 years on this 8/30 is 67 going on 68. Had 34' gas MH from 06-09 and want to travel again with our own bed so saved about $100k and yesterday purchased a Rockwood 1905 with every option to tow behind our 16 Cherokee High Altitude Limited 4x4 AD II 3.2 w/tow. Should be here 5-8 weeks and spent all day going through all the old MH stuff throwing a lot away but packing lite for the new adventures that await us!
Your only as old as you think you are. Figure out how old you feel and then focus on that age. Me, I'm still 39. sounds like you must be at least 115 but getting lower every day!!!!

Father in law was 78 when he had a series of strokes, Wife and I got to take care of him in his last days. MIL still lives in her coach down in Hemet cali. They had been full timers since 2001. When asked if they missed their house, "Heck no, we just come stay at your place, helps us remember how much work having a house is". They have always acted like they were 29!!!! They always have called me an old man..... I miss him, he was my best friend as well as my FIL.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #23

The better half and I are both 65 years of age we have been camping for approximately three years. We do not full time but we sure do enjoy it. I do have sleep apnea so I need a machine to run through the night. Have found out and found different ways to do that even when boondocking. Just needed to add a battery. And build a little 12 volt generator to recharge the batteries. Works well for us. Does take me a while to set up and break down. Like I said before I am 65 headed towards 20 again better half says I'm just going into my second childhood... Dusty
Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #24
RPr

It is definitely not an age thing. I am 72 and the wife is 70, we just finished a 8500 mile venture in the south west. 5500 miles were towing the other 3000 miles were sightseeing. We have an F-150 and 25 ft TT.

We still tent camp and canoe, we even spend a few day reenacting the 1830s. Still our age does limit these adventures.

The point is you do what you can do. My back surgery limits my hiking to a couple of miles and I certainly enjoy having a bathroom in the TT. I retired so we could travel and that meant a TT not a tent. We do what we can do at the pace we can do it.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm 67 1/2. A little slower than 5 years ago but so what? Rather be camping and seeing the country than sitting at home.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #26

I'm 69 and while I don't have the speed or stamina I had years ago. I still get the tasks done. Plus I still enjoy driving. Age is only a number.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #27

I am 68 and gram is 64 and both retired. Started out 39 years ago tent camping then onto a truck camper. Have been pulling trailers for 36 years and haven't seen any reason we cannot keep going.
Wife's parents are mid-80s still driving their 1977 GMC coach and tow their custom VW pickup all over the NW even though FIL has COPD. Hopefully my wife has their camping genes.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
My TT set up is easy especially with the power tongue jack and the power stabilizers. It's about 15 minutes for unhook/set up or for take down/hook up. I'm 65 and would full-time and bum around the country if wifey would come along. However I'd miss the grand kids as much as she would so I'm gonna be happy with status quo.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, newbie