Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 04:36 AM   #1

Camping for an old newbie

Just scanned through the thread "Age and travel trailers etc" Looks like the average age is 30-40. Have been working on my old Prowler, 1994,22ft for about 2 years and have only taken a few short trips. Finally,with new axles,water heater,fridge, patched roof etc we are ready to go on a longer trip.
Now I find I have some fairly serious health problems. I am 72 and wife 66.
Would like to hear from any of you older campers and how you cope with the
inevitable problems associated with getting past our prime. Sell truck and trailer and buy a little car or what......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #2

Well to start off, i don't think that survey is correct ! I am 62 and wife 63, we now have a 2015 Grey Wolf 26RL. after doing exactly what your doing,, but much more, on a 2000 Springdale. We sold it, and decided to buy new, simply because we are getting older, and wanted something we knew would be cared for, and last us untill we can no longer do it . I just retired, and the wife next year,we currently take the trailer out about once a month for 2 or 3 days,we have done a couple of week trips, once she retires, we plan on doing some Hosting.

All that said, i have a very bad back, and too overweight, other than that our health is ok ! It just takes me a good bit longer to do things, and do them in a way i can handle, as far as setting up and the reverse. No problem drinking beer, or lighting the campfire yet !
Of course i don't know you health, but we plan on the RV life as long as we can !!!!!

Just thinking, maybe that age thing may be correct, in that, we try to do most of our longer trips mid week to avoid the weekends ( familys ), so maybe influenced by the people we meet ( older ) during our mid week stays !

Old 07-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

It's not your age, but your ability to safely accomplish the tasks associated with travelling and camping with your trailer. An honest self-appraisal and a discussion between you and your wife (and maybe your doctor) should give you the answer you seek.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Very Good Point JimBob46 !!!

What part of Maryland ? i lived in the Annapolis area ( The Land Of Pleasant Living ) before i moved to the great hot south !
Old 07-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The folks that answered in the "Age and trailer" topic are only those that chose to answer. It can't represent all of the folks pulling trailers. I see folks your age with travel trailers of all kinds everywhere I go.

When talking to your doctor(s), tell them what you want to do, and make them tell you how you can do that while doing as of what you want to do as possible. Your medical coverage folks, too. There may be solutions available that you don't know about, but someone does.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the observations and advice about age and ailments and travel. My in tention was not to cry about my problems [we all have them to some degree], but to simply look for reassurance from the older set that they have found a way.
We can still do the basics including having a cold beer !
Old 07-03-2016, 04:13 AM   #7

Old 07-03-2016, 05:48 AM   #8

FWIW, we are scheduled to take delivery of our first travel trailer next week. I'm 74 and wife is 67. Enjoy it while you can!
Old 07-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Very Good Point JimBob46 !!!

What part of Maryland ? i lived in the Annapolis area ( The Land Of Pleasant Living ) before i moved to the great hot south !

St Mary's County. We would have moved South (or West or North!) when I retired, but we have family here.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:25 AM   #10

I'm 77, wife is 76, we tow a 33' Wildcat Maxx behind our Ram Laramie. We've been camping since 1970 and typically will be on the road 90-120 nights a year. So far this year we've camped 80 nights and have trips planned to Mn, Seattle, and our winter trip to Texas, Alabama in the fall/winter.
How do we do it, not a problem at all---we just do what we love and KEEP ON KEEPEN ON!
Old 07-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #11

FWIW at 71 with 4 metal joints I get your problem. Our answer was to go to a motorhome. Much less setup. Even towing a car is less work than a trailer. Part of the reason for that is we run self contained. That way I can fill and dump at my leisure and convenience so "setup" usually is plugging in the electric and putting out the awning.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We started travel trailer camping in our 50's in 2012, though my husband has bumper pulled a boat for years and so was familiar with hitching up, backing up etc.

New to us was all the step by step things such as dumping the tanks. In addition, our first TT was manual everything which was actually a good lesson for us - manual awning, manual tongue jack, manual stabilizer jacks, manual water heater lighting, manual changing the stove from electric to propane and back.

In comparison, our new TT seems much easier with a fridge that changes the power source automatically and rocker switches that unroll the awning and lights the water heater.

But I can understand all the overwhelming things that would make one opt for the simpler way of booking a motel room.

As for health, I am a bit mobility challenged. My husband is on oxygen 24/7 and has other health issues including Type 2 diabetes. But, we can boondock in primitive campsites and enjoy ourselves as much as when we are in full hook up sites. Just takes us twice as long to set up or tear down than our neighbors, it seems. But I will never see these fellow campers again, so no big deal except to pride.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #13

I feel much younger now !
Old 07-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #14

I am soon to turn 78 and DW is 74. We have been camping 3 years now and will travel as long as our health stays fairly good. We tow a 28' TT. I don't have slides since I didn't want to crawl under the RV to fix it if (when) it stopped working. I do have an electric awning. It take my time setting up at a camp site, especially when it is hot. Hook up the water and electricity first then rest and set the stabilizers and rest some more. We don't hike or bike, just sit under the awning and enjoy nature. I like to camp at Corps of Engineers campgrounds for the quiet and nature and low cost. If you don't have an "America the Beautiful" lifetime pass you should get one. Cost is $10 and good for your lifetime. Free admission to most national parks and a 50% discount on campsites and CoE campgrounds and other government campgrounds. You can Google it for information. The last camp we went to had deer grazing right next to our TT each morning.

Tags
camping, newbie