Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #15

The dry weight of tt is 6435 w a hitch weight of 837. I think the weight we can overcome, but not the other factors, such as expensive towing option listed in previous post that expedition is lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Nope.

Tow vehicle-2012 expedition Max tow-9200
GVWR of expedition- 7300
-curb weight of expy- 5549
-weight of family-815 (me/wife 5kids)
-weight of gear/food-850

leaves you 86 pounds of tongue weight left before you overload your Exp.

Are you sure you have 850 lbs of gear that you must put INSIDE the tow vehicle? Move that stuff to inside the TT, near the axles if possible to reduce the overall impact to the tongue weight.

Your estimated tongue weight of a fully wet and loaded ot max on your TT is 7567*.12 = 908.

You need to have 908 lbs left in your GVWR after you subtract curb weight, hitch, and people.

You dind't post the fry weight of the TT. Take that number, add in propane and battery, any optionsadded not included in the dry weight, and the 850 lbs of gear/food, take 12% of that and see what your est tongue weight would be with the 850 moved to the trailer. You might still be OK. Post those numbers and we will help you check it.
nick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #16

tow ratings

check the August issue of Trailer Life in the Q&A section, ,all of this is explained.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #17

6435 dry weight
+850 stuff
____
7285 wet weight
+150 battery and propane on the tongue
____
7435 -- true estimated wet weight
X.12 -- 12% of TT wet weight should be on TV hitch for stability.
____
892 -- est tongue weight from TT
+100 -- WDH
___
992 -- total est tongue weight for your TV to support

7300 -- GVWR (the max your TV can weigh)
-5549 -- curb weight
_____
1751 -- max payload
-815 -- people in TV
_____
936 -- payload left after people

992-936= 56 pounds over payload capacity

You might be able to get actual CAT scale weights and the lightest WDH available and squeak by with some careful planning and packing.

In my opinion this trailer is a little more than your Expedition can safely handle. You will always be white knuckling it and worrying about it. TT's have a way of "collecting" little items a little bit at a time that all add up and push you way over your weight limits.

The only way I see this TT happening safely for your TV is if your wife and kids meet you at the campground in a separate car and you can reduce the 815 pounds of people that your TV has to carry. This is obviously no good for summer vacations and long trips.

You're close, though. Look for something a little lighter. Check the yellow sticker on the inside of the TT door when you go look. That is the actual weight of the trailer as it sits on the lot, unless the dealer added options. Ask about that. For example some manufacturers don't include AC units, but the dealer will add them on, which adds about 100 pounds.

I didn't catch what make/model you were considering, but in general if you can go full aluminum frame/fiberglass siding rather than wood frame with aluminum siding, you can get the same floorplan for less weight. It will cost a bit more though.

You're almost there. Keep looking =).
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #18

I don't know why this thread is still going.
The OP discovered in post #5, on Aug 4th, that his particular Expedition, is not rated to tow the weights he was asking about.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I don't know why this thread is still going.
The OP discovered in post #5, on Aug 4th, that his particular Expedition, is not rated to tow the weights he was asking about.
Well, the OP gave additional info, which i had asked for, so i supplied an answer with the math so that he/she could understand what they are working with as they continue to shop. Other people may also run across this thread, and hopefully the math above is helpful and easy to understand for them to apply to their situation.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote