Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Can I put 80lbs on my bumper?

I've got the standard TT square bumper with room for the sewer hose. I think the bumper is 1/8 steel btw. Anyway I'd like to bolt on a 2 inch receiver and a bike carrier. The sticker on the bumper says it can carry 135lbs 24 inches off the center (don't know why that matters). Now I feel like the 55lbs is a decent cushion. I do know there's going to be an increase in force when traveling over washboard roads but I'm no mathlete so idk how much force will be distributed. Anyone have any experience with this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #2

135 lbs 24" off center means the bumper is designed to handle 270 ft-lbs of torque on its mounts. That means that the center of that 80 lbs needs to be around 3 ft or less from the bumper. A bicycle carrier should be fine - lots of people do that.

Yes, I was a mathlete.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #3

Haha i truly appreciate that answer!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
I've got the standard TT square bumper with room for the sewer hose. I think the bumper is 1/8 steel btw. Anyway I'd like to bolt on a 2 inch receiver and a bike carrier. The sticker on the bumper says it can carry 135lbs 24 inches off the center (don't know why that matters). Now I feel like the 55lbs is a decent cushion. I do know there's going to be an increase in force when traveling over washboard roads but I'm no mathlete so idk how much force will be distributed. Anyone have any experience with this?

Might want to check you warranty if the coach is new. I was told at a dealership that sold Forest River that anything bolted on the bumper voided the warranty . . . according to the salesman, the ENTIRE warranty! I then pointed out that the barbecue grills that the dealership put on as an "extra" had already voided the warranty, so in affect their brand new trailers HAD warranty! . . . .

Salesman's response was something like . . ."Ahhhh, well. . . . . since WE did it, it's okay . . . . I think . . . . ." Gotta love people who make ridiculous statements about things that they have absolutely no knowledge!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

I do need to check with manufacturer about that for a clear answer. We did however buy an extended warranty from the dealer so I imagine I ought to check with them and see where they stand on this too.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #6

Sure why not, besides what could possibly go wrong.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What looks really cool is strap everything to the ladder. The back bumper should be reserved for the 20 foot roll of astro-turf held on by bungy cords. Just kidding.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

bumpers

i can't refer to them, but i keep reading not to bolt anything to the bumper.

Jim
Old 03-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

When I purchased my TT, there was a spare tire mounted to the rear bumper. Both my spare and bike rack would not fit, so I moved the spare to the underside. Then mounted the bike rack. I would presume my two bikes are close to equal the spare, so I'm OK.

sigpic160806_2.gif
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Keep an eye on the welds holding the thin bumper to to trailer beams. That is where it will fail.

Brother in law ran his bike rack on the back of his trailer for years then lost them one year travelling down the highway. I followed him a couple of times and even though they were secure (not much wobble) when stopped they sure moved around lots while travelling. He also tied them off to the back ladder.

Funny story - when the bumper failed he dragged them down the road still tied off to ladder for probably 10 miles. Not much left to them. (He was only one on the road).

Brian.
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Might want to check you warranty if the coach is new. I was told at a dealership that sold Forest River that anything bolted on the bumper voided the warranty . . . according to the salesman, the ENTIRE warranty! I then pointed out that the barbecue grills that the dealership put on as an "extra" had already voided the warranty, so in affect their brand new trailers HAD warranty! . . . .

Salesman's response was something like . . ."Ahhhh, well. . . . . since WE did it, it's okay . . . . I think . . . . ." Gotta love people who make ridiculous statements about things that they have absolutely no knowledge!
You're saying the dealership's statement is ridiculous (agreed), but then say we should check our warranty anyways? Isn't that a ridiculous statement.

Warranties are legal contracts. They can't be voided on a whim. I'd tell any dealer that said that to me to go read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Warranty claims can only be legally denied due to a modification if the modification causes the problem that is being claimed for warranty repair. This is a common thing with modified cars.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #12

My brother had this problem with his TT. He bolted a bike rack to the bumper and it failed. He went back to the dealership and had the bumper reinforced and put on a hitch-mount. Seems to work well - for now.

I am picking up my new TT in May and am concerned. The dealer told me they would never put a hitch-mount on a trailer. They would only install a bolt on. I would hate to see my four bikes go tumble down the road. They are cheapies only costing $1,500 each. But still, who wants to fork out $6K.

MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
You're saying the dealership's statement is ridiculous (agreed), but then say we should check our warranty anyways? Isn't that a ridiculous statement.

Warranties are legal contracts. They can't be voided on a whim. I'd tell any dealer that said that to me to go read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Warranty claims can only be legally denied due to a modification if the modification causes the problem that is being claimed for warranty repair. This is a common thing with modified cars.

I am familiar with the MMWA, however actually getting the company to do work under warranty AFTER they've told you they won't often requires the hiring of an attorney . . . at your expense . . . . I'd rather just check the written warranty and see for myself what the WRITTEN WARRANTY says! (Hence my comment that you should check your warranty!) Or not, your choice . . .

My experience with sales people is that often they don't know what they are talking about (big surprise, huh?) I just listen politely to their words and then tell them something like "I hear what you are saying, but you and I both know that the only thing that means anything legally is what is written, so why don't you go get that and we can read it together, shall we?" . . . . "Uh, you can read, can't you? I'm trying to interpret that deer in the headlights look you are giving me!"
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #14

Square bumper reinforcement

Google "4square safty strut. a little pricey, but looks like it will give peace of mind.

Ray ac7kq is offline   Reply With Quote