Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I would strongly encourage anyone thinking about driving with propane on study up on those dangers. You maybe able to get away with doing it if all goes well. If you have a collision and a propane line is damaged it becomes a very different game quickly.
Gasoline vapors sink to the ground because they are heavier than air.

Many RVs have high flow stopping valves that will stop the propane flow if a downstream pipe is ruptured.

Some may have seen a vehicle catch on fire but cannot honestly tell you as a certain fact it was the propane system that fed the fire.

Every vehicle owner must know their own vehicle and the risks involved with their equipment. I have lines with high flow stopping valves installed between the tanks and the regulator. Any rupture in the propane system downstream of the valve and the flow is stopped. If propane systems on RV were so dangerous, these things would nearly spontaneously combust at the mere thought of getting on the highway.

Know the dangers for your rig. Don't pretend to know all of the dangers for every rig. If you haven't gone over my rig, you cannot know everything about my rig, all of the risks associated with my rig. It's literally impossible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Gasoline vapors sink to the ground because they are heavier than air.

Many RVs have high flow stopping valves that will stop the propane flow if a downstream pipe is ruptured.

Some may have seen a vehicle catch on fire but cannot honestly tell you as a certain fact it was the propane system that fed the fire.

Every vehicle owner must know their own vehicle and the risks involved with their equipment. I have lines with high flow stopping valves installed between the tanks and the regulator. Any rupture in the propane system downstream of the valve and the flow is stopped. If propane systems on RV were so dangerous, these things would nearly spontaneously combust at the mere thought of getting on the highway.

Know the dangers for your rig. Don't pretend to know all of the dangers for every rig. If you haven't gone over my rig, you cannot know everything about my rig, all of the risks associated with my rig. It's literally impossible.
There are many trucks and buses running up and down the highway that are powered by propane. I don't think I would worry too much about running in in a camper. No more dangerous than the gas in the fuel tank.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #31

I'm a 11 year fire fighter. I'm also certified in vehicle extrication. As for propane its a fairly safe fuel. There is all kinds of vehicles running on propane as a main fuel and some diesel trucks use it like a booster fuel. So propane being turn on and in use in a vehicle is safe. But why would it be not safe in a RV? How about motorhomes with on board propane tanks?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:10 AM   #32

If running with the propane tank on was so dangerous, insurance companies would force the manufactures to build in a lockout valve of some kind.

You can't buy a 2 gallon gas can without a safety cap that needs 3 hands to use.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
I once watched a Class B being driven explode and burn from a propane problem.
On more than one occasion, I've seen cars burn to the ground, fueled by gasoline. Do you still drive a gasoline-fuel vehicle? Life is about risk management, not risk avoidance.

I'd not overly worried about gasoline vapors igniting while refueling. The my trailer isn't right next to my truck's gas cap (or anyone else's as its generally way away from the pumps), and so the concentration of vapors is nowhere near an explosive level. Only in the case of a significant spill would the vapor density be high enough to be explosive, and even then a slight breeze keeps the vapor density low. People used to smoke cigarettes while refueling (much closer to the fuel nozzle), and even then fires weren't common.

Besides the furnace, realize that most RVs run their refrigerators on propane while traveling. The switchover is automatic. That open flame isn't burning campers down right and left at every refueling.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #34

How old is your TT?
If you have an old one with a pilot lite furnace the pilot lite may blow out as soon as you start down the road.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
How old is your TT?
If you have an old one with a pilot lite furnace the pilot lite may blow out as soon as you start down the road.
2015. Just bought it in may
Old 01-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #36

One more question...

Before I hook or unhook shore power, I kill the main 30A breaker, to prevent sparking when plugging in, and power surges to my stuff.

While towing with furnace on, can I keep that 30A breaker off, or does it need to be turned back on?
Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #37

Most users switch off the power post breakers.

That is all that is needed to prevent sparks.

The interior 30 amp breaker will have no effect on the 12 volt side, including the heat.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most users switch off the power post breakers.

That is all that is needed to prevent sparks.

The interior 30 amp breaker will have no effect on the 12 volt side, including the heat.
OK, cool. We only switch ours off inside the trailer because much of the time it is hooked up to a 20A circuit under our hay barn, and sometimes into our garage outlet. It pops when we plug into those and that breaker is left on.

Once we start traveling and only hooking to RV 30A posts, we will stop tripping that inside breaker.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #39
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, our last MH had a 40 gallon (32 usable tank) we only used it for cooking, heat and hot water although most of the time we were on shore power and used electric heat and the water heater had a factory electric element. Every couple years I'd top it off with less than 10 gallons or so. The present rig only has a 5.5 gal tank just for the cooktop. Not sure how long that will last as we very seldom use the cooktop.
You have Aqua Hot. So you should have continuous hot water. The 5.5 gallon tank is some kind of a reserve - just read about it somewhere.

Tags
ace, furnace, power, tow, towing