Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Question Can I tow this trailer safely?

Here are the specs on my recently purchased TT and my older truck.

Can I tow this trailer with a reasonable amount of safety or am I just too close to the limits. I imagine that the tow vehicle can actually handle weights above the listed limit. ( standard precaution by the manufacturer.) This trailer was previously being hauled successfully by a 2008 1500 Silverado 4x4.

2002 Wildwood by Forest River
26 footer
GVWR 11,150 max capacity
UVW 7470 unloaded weight
CCC 3600 cargo capacity

Tow vehicle

1997 Chevy Silverado 2500 2x4 (120,000 miles)
5.7 L /350 cu. in. gasoline Vortec engine
255 horsepower @ 4600

Full towing package
Transmission and oil cooler
Trailer brakes
Hitch rated @ 10,000 lbs, with weight distributing hitch
1,000 lb hitch weight max

Reese dual cam weight distributing hitch

*Towing specs for this truck – with 3.73 axle ratio is 7,000 lbs

(Note towing spec for a 1500 with same axle is 7500 lbs.)

(Rating for same rig with a 4.10 axle ratio is 8,000 lbs)
RPJansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'll let others with more trailer experience offer you advice... and I think you'll get plenty. It does appear that, even when empty, the tow rating of the truck will be exceeded though... and, you'll probably never tow it empty. Like people, RVs tend to gain weight over time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

Agreed.
You might be ok pulling it down the block empty, but anything beyond that would be sketchy.
Sorry, but I say no!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a sticker on the door sill of the drivers side that shows your curb weight, axle weight ratings and allowable cargo weights for your particular truck as it was equipped from the factory. The published tow ratings are a generic rating and not always accurate.

That trailer will be quite a load for a '97. The newer trucks have improved greatly. And contrary to what you would think, manufacturers usually overstate their trucks capabilities. The max tow ratings only apply to flatbed trailers that have very little wind resistance, not rolling bricks that act as massive sails. Having a higher tow rating is used to sell trucks, period.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Smile Thanks for the input

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Looks like I will either need to consider a newer truck or trade off the trailer for a lighter model. I bought this camper at really low price, then put about $2000 into upgrading and remodeling it so I don’t think I will have too much trouble getting my money out of it this spring.

I put in new vinyl floors throughout, flat screen TV, upgrade mattress, copper back splash, stone guard, and many other upgrades, maintenance and repairs. It is like new inside, especially. We have named it Bramasole – Italian for ‘Yearning for the Sun’.

I used to remodel homes professionally so this was a good project for me and I had in mind re-selling in a year or two anyway. Maybe I’ll try and trade it in on a newer, lighter version.
RPJansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPJansky View Post
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Looks like I will either need to consider a newer truck or trade off the trailer for a lighter model. I bought this camper at really low price, then put about $2000 into upgrading and remodeling it so I don’t think I will have too much trouble getting my money out of it this spring.

I put in new vinyl floors throughout, flat screen TV, upgrade mattress, copper back splash, stone guard, and many other upgrades, maintenance and repairs. It is like new inside, especially. We have named it Bramasole – Italian for ‘Yearning for the Sun’.

I used to remodel homes professionally so this was a good project for me and I had in mind re-selling in a year or two anyway. Maybe I’ll try and trade it in on a newer, lighter version.
With all the additions you should re weigh your trailer. It may be heavier or lighter. You really need to know the actual empty weight
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow