Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
I've been in construction for 35 years and Great Stuff is widely used. To seal around your power cord wrap your cord with electrical tape an inch or two above and below where you are going to seal (this will make removing Great Stuff easier from the cord) use "Door and Window" (minimum expansion) and wear disposable gloves.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 06:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J31s View Post
I would suggest brass scrubbing pad that don't rust and Duct seal. The duct seal id a electricians putty that seals arround wires in conduits. This will seal out drafts, moisture, insects and mice. Take a pad and knead the duct seal into it. This will press into a hole around wires and pipes. It is stiff and will harden some over time but can be removed if needed.
Indeed! Brass wool instead of steel wool.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not that brand but the same basic product is used in the construction of many RV's to seal holes so the answer is yes. however as someone else said, use caution if you have to remove it.

A better plan (in my opinion) is foam rubber (really flexible plastic foam) I get foam pads that insluate some stuff I buy that is shipped cold, you can also buy the stuff, like pillows are made of, in craft stores,

I cut a strip the proper width then wrep it around the cord and "Stuff" the portal, provides an easily removed seal and works well.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #18

I wouldn't use products that can burn or metallic products like steel wool. Simply pack the area with Fiberglas insulation and then pull or vacuum it out when needed.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #19
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I do not know how your rig is built. But everyone I have had has a long box under something where the first 25’ or so of the power cord is stored. What you want to do is find that box inside the rig. Find the OTHER END of the power cord coming out of the box. THAT is where you want to use the Great Stuff. Critters going up the external cord will find that inside hole and the gamae is over. If they cannot get out of the box they leave or make a nest you pull out the next time you need 20’ of power cord. Now that is assuming the power cord box is made like any good box. Not a sloppy box. A sloppy box would require filling in the sloppy holes with Great Stuff also.

I have not seen it but I understand there is a Great Shuff that critters do not like to chew thru out there.

On my, new to me, current rig. The PO had sealed as many utility compartments as he could reach. The power cord box. The box under the dinnet cushion were all the electrical stuff is. The box under the bed where the water tank and pump are complitley sealed around all the electrical and water pipes going into or out of that box. All water pipe runs through walls or floor are sealed as near as I have found.

I hope this is good food for thought. One last thing is all of my LP items with exterior access have part of a dog flea coller in them laying on the bottom of the compartment. Found out about that on this site way before 2010. Never had a spider or wasp nest in them since.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #20
RPr

I use Great stuff to plug gaps but I do not plan on removing it. It is tough stuff and as mentioned, it sticks to your hands rather well.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
"One last thing is all of my LP items with exterior access have part of a dog flea coller in them laying on the bottom of the compartment. Found out about that on this site way before 2010. Never had a spider or wasp nest in them since. "

Thanks, I'll remember this one! Rail!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #22

There is indeed a version of GS that is pest resistant. Called Great Stuff Pestblock. Grey colored foam in a green can.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
"One last thing is all of my LP items with exterior access have part of a dog flea coller in them laying on the bottom of the compartment. Found out about that on this site way before 2010. Never had a spider or wasp nest in them since. "

Thanks, I'll remember this one! Rail!

What a great idea I will try this
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #24

I would not use it because I am too messy with it. Even with plastic gloves I would probably get some on my arm, if I remember, even after you stop that darn stuff keeps oozing out of the nozzle.

You would never be able to clean it up. After a few years that stuff turns to dust also.

Are you trying to keep critters out or the cold out. Either way, I would not use that stuff. Been there, did not like it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
I have not seen it but I understand there is a Great Shuff that critters do not like to chew thru out there.

It’s called Great Stuff Pestblock. I use the regular Stuff so I can’t say how well the Pestblock works, but I know it’s carried at Lowe’s.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #26

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would not use it because I am too messy with it. Even with plastic gloves I would probably get some on my arm, if I remember, even after you stop that darn stuff keeps oozing out of the nozzle.

You would never be able to clean it up. After a few years that stuff turns to dust also.

Are you trying to keep critters out or the cold out. Either way, I would not use that stuff. Been there, did not like it.
That's your opinion. Construction professionals and DYI'ers have no problems with it and it does not turn to dust. It is widely used in the construction industry and it is a specified product by some engineers. It does what it is supposed to do sealing holes and air gaps and there are several types including the "Door and Window" which has minimal expansion.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #27

It's great stuff, but remember that some of it expands more than you think and if it gets away from you it is hard to clean off. Does seal very well. Plan the job and dispense carefully!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
You can buy painter's gloves that go almost to your elbow. If you're worried about getting this stuff on your arms these are good for that. I hate getting paint and epoxy glue on me, but this stuff is even worse. I just painted 525' of pipe fence, and those gloves were good to have.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote