Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Can't decide - Grand Design Imagine vs Forest River

I am THIS close to buying a new TT and am torn between these two options. Both TT are very very similar - huge bunkhouse TTs. The differences are...

FR is a Rockwood Signature 8329SS. It is at a dealer we used before and really REALLY trust. But it has 30 amp service and only 1 A/C and that concerns me considering the TT is 35' long. I am afraid it may be a little warm.

Grand Design Imagine is a 3150BH and is at a dealer we don't know as well. We like the layout a lot. It is 50 amp so it has the ability for 2 a/c.

I have read some not-so-great reviews on GD, but they seem to have a better warranty. So not sure which is really better in regards to quality.

Any thoughts on either option would be appreciated.

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

My personal opinion based on friends who have Forest River products is to steer clear of the brand. Others may have had good luck but my experience has not been positive.
Your experience may be different.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #3

I'd go with the Grand Design in a heartbeat. Forget the other choice.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
I'd go with the Grand Design in a heartbeat. Forget the other choice.
Hmm....really!? I think you guys are going to sway me. I was almost set with the FR but at the last minute I started to look back at the GD again and now I am changing my mind. The 50 amp and dual a/c is something big.

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

GD

Go with the Grand Design. I have heard nothing good about FR when it comes to quality. Plus having the option to add a second A/C is nice.
couch702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #6

I was looking at a couples year old FR(new but never sold) and I talked to a family member who worked in the head office of that RV dealer franchise and he said to stay away from FR as their support sucked
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 AM   #7

We did a lot of research, went to three different shows because it was a big change for us. Going from an older bounder RV to a truck plus TT.

In the end we bought the 2017 Reflection 312BHTS last November and so far I've been thrilled.

We did have a couple of small issues our first outing, just little things, piece of moulding popped off at the bottom, cable snapped on the pop-up TV, one of the drawers had the bottom break out with almost nothing in the drawer.

I can only speak to the amazing response we got both from our local RV store (B. Young RV in Portland) and from Grand Design. Everything was fixed immediately and I was given a follow up call from someone at Grand Design a month later just to make sure we were happy.

Since then, we've taken a couple of trips and we absolutely love it.

Right now I'm doing research about adding solar and increasing the capacity of the battery bank because the family is enjoying it so much. My wife is in love with the outdoor kitchen and our trailer constantly becomes the gathering spot when we go with groups.
Ronmocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmocking View Post
We did a lot of research, went to three different shows because it was a big change for us. Going from an older bounder RV to a truck plus TT.

In the end we bought the 2017 Reflection 312BHTS last November and so far I've been thrilled.

We did have a couple of small issues our first outing, just little things, piece of moulding popped off at the bottom, cable snapped on the pop-up TV, one of the drawers had the bottom break out with almost nothing in the drawer.

I can only speak to the amazing response we got both from our local RV store (B. Young RV in Portland) and from Grand Design. Everything was fixed immediately and I was given a follow up call from someone at Grand Design a month later just to make sure we were happy.

Since then, we've taken a couple of trips and we absolutely love it.

Right now I'm doing research about adding solar and increasing the capacity of the battery bank because the family is enjoying it so much. My wife is in love with the outdoor kitchen and our trailer constantly becomes the gathering spot when we go with groups.

We have actually been debating on the Reflection 312BHTS as well! It is beautiful.

Can I ask what you use to tow it?

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

If Grand Design was better than Forest River then Grand Design owners would never be having any problems. But they do, just like Forest River owners.
FS is the largest seller of RV's. It no wonder that they have more RV's with issues.
They're all made almost the same way, using the same work force and using the same parts suppliers.
Some workers are better than others and some parts are better than others. Having the best workers using the the best parts to build YOUR RV doesn't happen.
Between the two I'd just pick the floor plan or even which dealer is better and go with it.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
To me the ability for 2 ACs would seal the deal more than the brands, but I am in Texas and it's already 90+ degrees today. I had a FR product for 4 years and it was an OK trailer... but I did fix a lot of small stuff. Now I have a Jayco... and I've had to fix some small stuff. Not as much but I've only had it 9 months. I'm sure it'll catch up. Cumminsfan is on the money with his post. They're all about the same. Go with what makes you happy.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #11

Thanks all - I took your advice and went with the Grand Design Imagine. The floorplan was exactly we wanted. The warranty is better than Forest River. And the fact it is 50 amp and framed in to accommodate 2 A/Cs was a huge plus.

We pick it up Saturday! Can't wait to get out and start camping season!!!!

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 05-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene67 View Post
We have actually been debating on the Reflection 312BHTS as well! It is beautiful.

Can I ask what you use to tow it?
I bought a 2000 ford f350 dually diesel with the 7.3l powerstroke diesel made by International.

It's a monster of a truck, and has 0 problems hauling the trailer around.
Ronmocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:25 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Glad you made a decision and hope it works out for you guys. As for complaints about brands. All have their problems just reading the forums will verify that. I have a f250 6.0 and a FR 34rlsa. Personally would not trade either one for new. Best wishes and enjoy the experiences and travels.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:26 AM   #14

Carolina Campers
As others have mentioned, all manufacturers can have their issues. That said, I have personally found Grand Design to step up and support their customers.

Be sure to Google, "Grand Design Leaking Seals". A great example that GD has assembly issues like everyone else, but they (GD) will step up and make it right. I had my Solitude inspected by my dealer before I picked it up. It had the issue on all four wheels. GD/Lippert (I am not sure who paid in the end, but not me!) paid for the inspection and repair.

When it was all said and done, I received a follow-up call from GD to make sure all went well. I have no regrets buying GD.