Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #1

Can't find the leak

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the Forum and a new RV'er as well. I purchased a 2008 Keystone Outback Sydney edition, 35ft, that had a leak in the front corner of the rubber roof. I sealed it up with dicor self-leveling lap sealant, but the wood underneath has since rotted out.

Do you guys suggest pulling off that section, replacing the wood, and patching the rubber roof?

I have the RV on a stationary lot and have a deck built around it so I can't take it to a dealer to have it done. Also, the termination strips are lifting in other areas.

I just bought it a couple of years ago, and do not show any signs of leaks inside, but smell mold. Wasn't sure if black mold can get in those things or not, but it burns my lungs enough to not be able to sleep in it.

Was also wondering if anyone has used Flex Seal (rubber in a can) on RV roof leaks? It says it can be used on EPDM roofs. Was considering tightening down my termination strips, taping it off and spraying a few lines around the perimeter edges of the roof since this seems to be where most of the leaks are coming from. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,
Deb
dlthur1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Probably start with a environmental test to see if there are spores in the air. Theres no doubt that the roof membrane is going to have to be partially or fully removed to determine the source of the leak and to repair the damage. Sounds like someone sold you a unit that had problems already. Stay out of the unit until you figure out the mold issue.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You probably have mold in the roof/sheeting. IMO you have to peel the EPDM back to see what the issues are.

You can take half of the EPDM off and replace it. It will require a lap joint in the EPDM. Does not seem hard to do and probably can do it with good results. There are all kinds of products to enable a good seal to be created.

I replaced the entire roof sheeting and EPDM on our 5er. Looks like the A/C was leaking from new. It took me longer than it should of as I did it by myself. Lots of distractions and the 5er was under cover.

We were fortunate in we opted for extra insulation which included a flex foil strip under the sheeting on top of the trusses. The sheeting deteriorated but the water sat on top of the foil.

If you have the incentive you should be able to do it yourself, especially if you can find a friend or hire someone to help you. Purchase a large tarp to cover the work and you can do it as you have time. Have all of the materials on hand before you start any work. Getting the EPDM and glue will take time if you do not have a local supplier. A 10' x 50' roll of 60 mill EPDM weighs about 205 lbs.

I decided to replace the entire EPDM and found it cheaper to buy a 50' roll than the 43' I needed for the trailer. While the EPDM was off I replaced all of the sheeting with plywood.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get a mold spore kit at Menards and mailed it in for analysis. Appreciate your input. I will not stay there until I know what it is.
Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

I will definitely do that. I am going to have to pull one corner off anyway, as it has rotted out completely and the only thing there is the rubber roof. Great idea about the foil over the rafters. If I have to pull all the wood off, I will definitely go that route. Not sure why they don't do that when they build these things, considering they tend to have roof problems. Would be nice if they would stop putting the AC on the roof, too. Tempted to just pull it out and use a portable. Saw a slim line that can be put on the hitch and connected to the duct work for about $400. At this point, I will pay the $20 for the gasket, and keep replacing it every 5 years for good measure, I guess.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The thing is noticed when I took the old roof off was the holes for all of the vents, etc were cut after the roofing material was put on. Any moisture that to into the unit through any vent opening had direct access to the sheeting.

When I replaced the roof I first cut holes in the sheeting and then laid the EPDM. When installing the A/C, vents, etc I cut the EPDM from the center to the corners and folded the fabric into the opening. I stapled the material down the sides of the opening, cutting off the excess just above the ceiling. My thought is any water that may leak will be channeled past the sheeting and has a good chance of dripping on the floor. I HOPE!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

Thanks for the heads up. I cant seem to find a repa
Lacement gasket/seal for my A/C. The oepning is 17x17. Is there anything else i can use in its place?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlthur1017 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I cant seem to find a repa
Lacement gasket/seal for my A/C. The oepning is 17x17. Is there anything else i can use in its place?
No offense, but are you sure? The industry standard for roof holes is 14" by 14"
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
No offense, but are you sure? The industry standard for roof holes is 14" by 14"
Yes. I measured it 3x. I have found some that are 17 x17 OD and 14.5 x 14.5 ID. But that would interfere mechanically.

I obviously had no clue what i was doing when i bought this rig or I'd have known better what to look for. I am starting to think one blogger was right when he said, "The two best days of owning an RV are the day you buy it and the day you sell it!" this thing has been nothing but work and a $ pit. Have had it for 3 years and done nothing but work on it all summer long. With $ i have put into it I could have purchased a park model trailer with a loft.

To add insult to injury, now my toilet moves. Not sure if it just needs tightened or floor is rotting there, too. It is possible considering the only RV guy i could find to come on site decided to flood my bathroom and back bedroom to see if he could " find a leak"! (Suffice it to say he did not send me a bill by the time I got done with him)

Inside of trailer is beautiful and looks perfect. No water stains. That's why i have continued to dump $ into it. Beginning to think i should scrap it and call it a hard lesson learned. Will try recaulking all seams and resealing roof with liquid rubber. If that doesnt work...my last purchase will be a couple gallons of gas and some matches. hahaha

Tags
leak