Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Can't get Atwood Water Heater pilot to light at all

Hi everyone. I’m hoping someone can help me with an issue with my Atwood Water Heater and getting it lit.

Here’s some background: A month ago we upgraded from our pop up to a new (to us) 2000 29’ Fleetwood Terry travel trailer 27x. The person I bought it from owned it 6 years and only camped via hookups. I’m somewhat handy (thanks to the wonderful advice, how-to’s and videos posted on the Internet by people like you) and was able to stop the A/C from dripping due to condensation and resurrect the water pump.

The model of water heater is CG6AA-8, works on gas and electric and is a pilot ‘start’. It has the “blue” pilot button, Robertshaw thermostat. I verified there is water in the tank and it works on electricity. There is plenty of gas in both propane tanks. I can’t for the life of me get anything at all to come out of the pilot. Gas to the stove works ok, I even kept the stove burners on as I tried most of this. I tried both propane tanks (2 tanks going into 1 regulator) via the left or right regulator switch.

I followed the gas line all the way under the trailer and couldn’t see any cut-off switches. I held the pilot switch open for 3 minutes with a BBQ lighter and there is no hint of gas coming through it, no flicker, no smell, no sound, nothing.

I removed the main burner tube and blew compressed air though it as well as com into the pilot hole (I didn’t remove the pilot line from the thermostat.)

I have no issue replacing the thermostat as the next step as it’s possible the gas part of this furnance hasn’t been used in 10 years, but before I did I thought I would at least ask here to see if I may be missing something else, I’m at a loss.

Thank you very much!
DancingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

Is there 12V to it, often there is a switch on the heater as well as one in the trailer.
In the event that this is a standing pilot model and not a (DSI) Direct Spark Ignition.
With you're BBQ lighter you're warming up the thermal-couple over where the pilot flame would be right?
Probably the gas valve has gone south. Not all that expensive, if you're not very comfortable with joint compound, fittings etc. leak testing. You might want to call a service person.

Be well
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There may be some help here

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #4

Check the gas tube and make sure it is free of spider webs. I have had this issue for 2 years.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your replies, yeah it's pilot light of only to ignite, not electric ignite. I have the BBQ light pretty much on the pilot hole, not the thermal coupler, but I don't think that's it but will try, I do think it's the gas valve, which I was calling the thermostat earlier. Will try that hopefully next week. Thank you again!
Old 08-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
As gazingm42 said, I would try to remove the pilot fixture and see if it's clear. There should be a small opening, called the primary air opening, on the side of the fixture. See if it's clear. Also, I would remove the pilot fixture from the pilot tubing & see if the orifice on the pilot tubing is clogged.
Budlite28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #7

Tried to remove the pilot fixture from the gas valve with a wrench and it started to strip, is it by chance reverse threaded or do I need something stronger like vice grips. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2016, 04:35 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't use vicegrips, get a regular gas line wrench.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:05 AM   #9

Silly question,,,,, your holding down the pilot button while trying to light right? If the gas was off for a long time, it may take a min or 2 for gas to come out the small pilot hole before it will lite. Some units are a little different, you have to turn and align the button before you can push down.

L.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

Thanks. Lloyd, this isn't a push pilot, but rather it's spring activated if that makes sense, meaning you turn to the left slightly past pilot and hold to engage, unless I am missing that completely but I don't think this is a push. I will post a pic later. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingBull View Post
Tried to remove the pilot fixture from the gas valve with a wrench and it started to strip, is it by chance reverse threaded or do I need something stronger like vice grips. Thanks!

What you need is called a flarenut wrench. It's basically a boxend with a opening to slip the pilot tubing thru. And it is not a reverse thread. The brass is just soft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0884.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	135791  
Budlite28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #12

Ok, I removed the entire gas valve, the thermocouple came off easily with a pipe wrench (thanks, I had some but had no idea that's what they were for) but the pilot connection refuses to come off, I tried pipe wrench and it still would not turn, only strip so I even tried vice grips and it refuses. I ordered a new Jafe pilot assembly as everything is pointing to the pilot.

Just wanted to update. If I can get this working for $100 in jade pilot and new gas valve I consider it a win. To be continued.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #13

Wanted to close this thread. Replacing the gas valve and jade pilot fixed my issue. Thanks everyone for your help.

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, light, water, water heater