Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Cargo carrier?

Have a 28 ft. travel trailer. Thinking of installing some type of Reese hitch on the rear bumper so I can slide in some type of cargo carrier. I will use the carrier to haul portable generator and fuel cans. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

I installed one on my 5th wheel by using 2- 3 inch angle straight off the I beams,
in my case I had to shape them around the body, but even that was no big deal
and inexpensive for a decent welder/fabricator. If you use a a reese hitch you have to deal with the rocking side to side.
toolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
Have a 28 ft. travel trailer. Thinking of installing some type of Reese hitch on the rear bumper so I can slide in some type of cargo carrier. I will use the carrier to haul portable generator and fuel cans. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
My suggestion is don't do it. Search this and other forums about problems with hanging weight on bumpers.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Is there room to put a cargo box on the roof? We glued a Thule box to the roof with Dicor (where our batwing used to be) and store the things we only use once or twice a year up there. From the ground it looks like an roof top air conditioner (we have basement air). Another idea for you. \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThuleBoxCc.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	82328  
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

The rear bumper has a weight rating and if you go beyond the specs and hit a number of bumps you WILL separate the bumper from the frame. I have the same issue and would love to bring my genny with me but even though I could theoretically do it I am cautious of the bumps. I would suggest saving your money if you need too and getting a small Honda genny rated just enough to run your ac on the lowest setting for those times you really need it or need to charge batteries, etc. and put it in the bathroom tub while traveling and you can still use the cargo carrier like I do but don't put over 100 lbs on it.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolster View Post
I installed one on my 5th wheel by using 2- 3 inch angle straight off the I beams,
in my case I had to shape them around the body, but even that was no big deal
and inexpensive for a decent welder/fabricator. If you use a a reese hitch you have to deal with the rocking side to side.
^^^^ This ^^^^, assuming your frame is strong enough.

Like others have said, attaching anything to your bumper is dicey.

And beware that any weight hanging off the rear will reduce your tongue weight.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
My suggestion is don't do it. Search this and other forums about problems with hanging weight on bumpers.
x2. Many of us have tried going down this path. I went to a hitch place (ie, well known welder/fabricator shop in Houston). They would do it to haul my jetski but would not do it to hold a tray (ie, boat is a constant downward force on the bumper whereas a tray or bike carrier is an oscillating load with the bumps).

Lots of stories of folks who pull off for gas and find their bikes either missing or distroyed on the rack after the bumper separated from the frame.

Just thinking about a generator or cans of gas falling off at hwy speeds....
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #8

I just finished making a platform across the back of my trailer for the generator or cooler. My trailer has an I beam frame so I welded square tube to the flat part of the I beam about 3 feet up the frame. I don't intend to put more than 200lbs worth of stuff on it, but IT WILL NOT BREAK. The square tube will bend or the trailer frame will buckle before the platform comes off.

If I had a pic I would post it here. I suppose this wouldn't be possible on an ultra light trailer will a questionable frame.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

Do it yourself or have a competent shop add steel as needed to support the receiver. Not that difficult to make it strong enough for what you want. Do not use the bumper.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
every tt bumper is different. My 05' the bumper was paper thin. I end up taking the spare tire bracket off that was mounted to the back wall of the tt and add a "L" shaped bracket with a 2" receiver at the end for a bike carrier. Worked great for 6-7 years. My 2013 tt the bumper is a 4" square one welded to a extension of the "I" beam frame. Was thinking about adding some 4" "U" bolts to attach a bike rack. But since I bought a truck I just put the bikes in the bed.

Pic of the bike rack mounted to the back of my 2005 tt'

It might appear it is resting on the bumper, but all the weight is supported to the "L" bracket and to the back wall of the trailer.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #11

I want to store the generator and fuel can on it. Don’t want the smell of fuel or leaking fuel in the camper.
rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #12

On my Nash trailer there is a substantial rear bumper. It is almost 1/8 steel plate 4" square. It's then covered with aluminum diamond plate. Maybe some trailers have cheap rear bumpers, I don't know.
Go to Camping World or almost any trailer supply and get a 2" bolt on receiver. They are sturdy and will easily support a rack to hold your limited weight. Adding weight to the rear bumper does decrease the tongue weight so move a heavier item to a front storage bin and the problem is solved. You can shim on the sides of the shank that goes into the receiver to eliminate the side to side and vertical motion or simply use a J hook receiver pin to accomplish the same thing.
This is not rocket science and your trailer won't suddenly flip over or collapse on its' axles.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #13

The weight of 4 bicycles twisted the thin bumper of my TT. I replaced my bumper with a heavy duty one I fabricated and welded on. Added extra 2" receivers on each side to accept a future cargo carrier (plan to build myself). Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420606650.105061.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	82838Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420606680.537244.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	82839Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420606721.637221.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	82840