Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Cargo Carrier Support

I have a Puma TT and I have mounted a receiver on the 4X4 rear bumper. I am wanting to mount my cargo carrier in the receiver. I am aware of all the negatives on doing this but I have an idea that I would like thoughts from this knowledgable forum. The carrier fits the receiver with no movement whatsoever with the help of a special tightening hitch pin. My idea is to mount two stainless eyebolts to the TT studs at the bottom edge of the rear window. From there I will run a cable to the outside corners of the carrier. This would support the outside of the carrier and eliminate the bouncing which would cause stress to the bumper. Any advice or comment appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #2

NO don't do it. You may not see any problems at 1st, but down the road you could have issues. IMO I would reinforce the bumper to the frame. It may cost you $100-? but the damage that could be caused if the eye bolts pull on the framing could be way, way more.

How much weight are planning on putting on the cargo rack?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #3

I have a weatherproof box that I would end up with probably no more than 150lbs total on the carrier. The hitch capacity is 350lbs, but of course that is not the issue. The questionable area is the 4X4 bumper.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEMAN View Post
I have a weatherproof box that I would end up with probably no more than 150lbs total on the carrier. The hitch capacity is 350lbs, but of course that is not the issue. The questionable area is the 4X4 bumper.
I wanted to put a bike rack on the rear bumper of the trailer, I did not trust the bumper. I had a 2" receiver that was welded to the frame and bumper for clean look. The receiver had a bolt set "screw" on the underside which prevented the bike rack from moving in the receiver. Well worth the cost.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEMAN View Post
Unless the bumper is really cheap it should support that much weight. Better to extend to the frame for reinforcement. Any welding shop could construct a frame in an hour. The constant stress on the eye bolts would quickly damage the rear wall of the trailer. These things are not built like a house, they are built one small step above minimum requirements especially an ultralight.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

My Puma has a sticker on the bumper that says, "Any non-factory attachment to the bumper is prohibited and can possibly void the warranty"

Better think about it.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #7

I have a friend with a 2012 or 2013 Zinger and he has the same idea. His wife wants to bring the generator when they go on long trips so they can run the AC while parked for a rest at the rest stops but my friend is worried that with a lot of bumps the frame might and probably will start to separate. if anyone has spot welded or braced up theirs can you reply with what you did? I tried to get my friend to log in to these forums but he is in his 60's Nd doesn't like computers.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Most 4x4 bumpers are maxed out with a sewer hose slipped inside. I've seen a few trailer owners that have put bike racks on them and a couple of bikes causes the bike rack rock and roll until it fails. Start between the frame sides, weld a couple of supports between them and then put a receiver tube on that. Then be very aware that any weight that far back from the axle will cause your tongue weight to be lower than the 10-15% total it should be.

Put the generator in a plastic tray and slide it into the camper while traveling, bring it out when you want to use it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #9

I also have a Puma. I installed the bolt-on 2" hitch for a bike rack. After a 20 mile trip the first time using it I realized the 4x4 bumper couldn't handle the weight of the kids bikes because the bumper started to twist and kink. BAD IDEA!!
First thing I did after that camping trip is come home and cut the twisted bumper off and fab up my own heavy duty bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2543264593.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	62249   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2750827961.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	62250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-86610080.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	62251  
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #10

nice pics!,

welp, I will relay the bad news to my friend but I do know he currently has a cargo carrier that is connected to the bumper for extra storage of from what he says is always under 150 lbs. I a guessing. should tell him or better yet show him this reply so he can stop using it....
Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #11

Notice the two receivers on each side of the bumper. I plan to build a basket that will attach into those. For now I just use the center one for a bicycle rack.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #12

I recall following a buddy who had a bike rack attached to his bumper with two bikes. About 40 minutes into the trip, the welds on the 4x4 bumper gave out enough that the bikes and the bike rack dropped and dragged until we could get his attention and pull him over. The bikes were destroyed, and the bumper pulled the rest of the way off by hand. He had to toss it all inside the camper while we completed the trip. It was a sad site. So, I also would recommend making alternate plans to attach a receiver vs using the stock bumper.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those bumpers remind me of tin foil (Which reminds me of something else be right back)

There dinner is in the oven.

I do not know how much it will hold,, A much better method is to extend the frame rails (one on each side) and mount the carrier to them.

But, that said.. your method just might work.. If you want to try it I suggest before you put valuables on teh tray you jump up and down.. If the bumper takes on a 'V' Shape.. No joy

Or take a drive with a load of bricks on the tray (might be better than jumping around) I really do not think that bumper will hold that well.

you can add more support though that will fix that problem. 4 cables, one to each corner, might work.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #14

I made 3000 miles with 2 bikes on bolted receiver without any problems but decided not to take any chances with 3; weld shop reinforced the bumper structure and bumper connections to the frame, welded receiver on the bumper and connected 2 rods from the frame extensions to the receiver. So far, so good.