Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

Cargo rack on TT bumper

OK I've read all the threads I can find and I see lots of 3rd party comments on "hearing about" losing a rear bumper when a cargo rack is installed. Comments on "I don't THINK it will work", etc., etc.

I want to hear from anyone who has actual, first hand experience with the issue. Either losing the bumper OR having a cargo rack on and no issues what so ever.

I'm picking up an aluminum cargo rack from HF next week to use on my TT. It's an old Excell from the late 70s. I'm only putting a geny in it. Someone previously put a bolt on 2" rack socket on the bumper. Obviously, they used it to haul something back there with no apparent damage that I can see.

I've got ideas about how to reinforce the 4" tube but I really want to hear from anyone who has actually bent or lost a TT bumper with a cargo rack on it or is using one now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

I have (had) a Curt receiver bolted to my bumper that I use for a bike rack. Although I never had a problem, I stopped using after my wife showed me a video of the bikes bouncing as the bumper twisted.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #3

Interesting Thanks for the reply
Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt anyone that had a previous failure with a cheap HF item dangling off the back of a hitch...

and aluminum? With the weight of a genny? MmmHmmm.

FWIW, this isn't a very wise move and please post your 6 often so I know who not to follow behind.

Insurance remains high for a reason.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

There are good items at HF and bad items at HF. I've bought top of the line tools in the past elsewhere and HF tools at times depending on what I want out of them. High quality machine tools they ain't. Pro quality for constant professional use they ain't. For some things a home shop might use they can be useful. Just depends on what is required for the job.
Can I look at structure and welding and tell if it will work for what I want? YES! Have been doing that sort of stuff for 50+ years.
Your broad statement has many conclusions contained therein-
1) That I have no idea what I'm doing
2) That everything from HF is crap
3) That I would endanger others on the hiway
4) That you have no useful information to offer as to the request of the post

Now, you want to try again and contribute IF you have personal experiences to expound on? Thank You.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #6

Personal experience is repairing/WELDING up and reinforcing failures from Peeps that shouldn't be allowed to be on the road. After the fact, they sign a release!

This is folly! Ask any insurance adjuster!

FWIW, if you know what you were looking at, you would see a crap spool gun alum weld on unknown alloy with what may or may not be 4043 or 5356 or?...

yeah.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #7

All aluminim welding doesn't have to be TIG. I use TIG on aircraft components.
Spool welding or shall we say "wire feed welders" have their place. I'd bet all TT frames are welded with them. Most welded aluminum boats are done with them. I work with a big houseboat company that builds 100 foot boats with them.
4043 flows better than 5356.
5356 has higher strength but is stiffer to feed. There are other differences.
All depends on the job.
So yes I can tell when I see the rack if it is what I want for the needed purpose. If its not I'll go with the steel version at HF.
OH wait, probably another cheap spool gun job on unknown base metal.
1015, 1020, 4130, can't tell without the certs but then any steel may be good enough for the purpose at hand.
Welding rods from coat hangers works good in a pinch for SOME jobs. Like a kids doodlebug of which I made several when in high school. Worked just fine for the job at hand.
Now, back to the regular scheduled program.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 AM   #8

I have an aluminum cargo carrier and it will not see a genny on it while connected to my TT as the bumper is not designed to carry over 100 lbs. Now, my genny is less than 100 lbs but the forces pulling and pushing on it would surely cause some serious damage. I do carry my genny when it is attached to my truck but I am not about to lose a generator, bumper, cargo carrier and damage other peoples property and well being simply because it should be ok. but that's just my opinion.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #9

I haven't yet had anyone chime in that ACTUALLY lost a carrier on the tube yet. Not saying it hasn't ever happened but no actual experience here yet.

I have gone to HF and I have looked at both aluminum and steel carriers and I wouldn't use either of them for anything back there. Those particular ones are flimsy junk. So yes I do look things before i jump.

Still hunting for the right answers and designing my own carrier.
As far as strength goes, take a look at any Cessna twin airplane on how they attach a 250-300HP engine to the wing. Look at any Mooney airplane with the same and you'll see 4 1/4" bolts holding the engine on. Look at engine mounts that are made of 040 wall steel tubing handling 300+ HP, 350+ # engines. It doesn't need to weight 500# to be strong enough. Good design works.
I haven't yet found where a max load of 100# is found for a TT bumper, Can you cite your source so I can verify for myself. Thanks.
I'm willing to learn just not willing to go on old wives tales, guesses or unfounded supposition.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know what rack it was but on southbound I-205 through Portland OR a few years back there was a bike rack with two somewhat (very) damaged bikes still attached against the guardrail on the curb side of the highway. Obviously something broke.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #11

cliffy,

the point everyone is trying to make is that you MAY wind up breaking something.

go ahead.......keep looking for validation from someone to put it on your TT.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:34 AM   #12

I guess the original question of this thread has been lost in supposition and guessing.
The question was to ask if anyone had empirical, direct evidence of a failure of a TT bumper with a cargo rack on it. It wasn't to ask opinion of the idea or for speculation on the failure mode. It was to ask for any direct evidence which is something I have yet to see on this or any other forum.
I would have thought that direct evidence would have supported the supposition and guessing but evidently direct evidence is lacking as no one with it has responded.
Seems strange to be so vehemently opposed to something with no direct evidence supporting the position and not be interested in investigating the issue.
I tested lots of theories in my career and found direct evidence to support in many instances but in others the theory was found to be false. This was no different.
In addition as noted in my first post, I do have ideas on reinforcement. Again, I have been designing and engineering stuff all my life.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:46 AM   #13

Get a gopro and hang your stuff back on the bumper and you'll create the evidence you are longing for. Then properly reinforce and repeat, there, all done.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #14

nicely said.....