Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Cargo Weight Question

Hi Everyone

I have a cargo weight question.

On the side of my Swift SLX 154 BH there is a tag that says >
GVWR 3,200 lbs.
GAWR 2,720 lbs.

I know what the numbers mean but what I don’t understand is how you can have a GVWR of 3,200 lbs. when you only have a GAWR of 2,720 lbs.

It also says The weight of cargo should never exceed 650 lbs. does this mean while in tow ? If not I’m in trouble, I’m a good size person, not so with my wife, but with the both of us and the just the needed camping supplies and nothing extra, we would be well over the 650 lbs weight limit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchpin View Post
I know what the numbers mean but what I donít understand is how you can have a GVWR of 3,200 lbs. when you only have a GAWR of 2,720 lbs.
Because they're assuming that the remaining 480 lbs will be transferred to the towing vehicle as tongue/hitch weight. 480/3200 = 15% which is slightly heavier than the 10%-12% tongue/hitch weight figure one normally sees tossed around for TTs, but with the single axle that may be an intentional design decision.

Cargo weight and GVWR limitations apply when the trailer is being towed, not when it is stationary and being supported by stabilizer jacks, the tongue jack and the suspension.

I just noticed that this is your first post, so

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the reply
Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

That 650# is not necessarily correct. You must know the actual weight of your trailer before you put anything inside. Subtract that from the GVW to obtain the actual CCC.(cargo carrying capacity).when a trailer is parked, human weight is not a factor.
Welcome to the forums! Stay in touch, ask questions, comment when you desire, make yourself home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
GPW

Best check the specs (fine print) .... our trailerís weight was listed (advertised) , WITHOUT the options , bringing up the actual weight to near GVW ... no cargo ...
Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Best check the specs (fine print) .... our trailerís weight was listed (advertised) , WITHOUT the options , bringing up the actual weight to near GVW ... no cargo ...

The tag on the side of trailer said, the trailer was weighed at the factory with a battery and a full tank of propane, and was not to be included in the 650 lbs.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
The tag on the side of trailer said, the trailer was weighed at the factory with a battery and a full tank of propane, and was not to be included in the 650 lbs.
That means it is assumed you will always travel with a battery and a full LPG tank/cylinder; and it is not "cargo", just like the air conditioner.
If you have the time, weigh everything before placing in in the trailer. Sure it's time consuming and tedious, but the knowledge you gain of what items actually weigh will remain with you forever while loading for a trip.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know what the numbers mean but what I donít understand is how you can have a GVWR of 3,200 lbs. when you only have a GAWR of 2,720 lbs.
As Rusty said, the difference is hitch weight.

However, GVWR of the trailer doesn't mean much when on the road. When you weigh the rig on a CAT scale, you'll get 4 weights, and none of the 4 weights will give you what you need to determine gross trailer weight:

Front axle of the tow vehicle (TV).
Drive axle of the TV
Trailer axles
Gross combined weight

Compare the weight on the trailer axles to the trailer's GAWR. The scale won't give you the total weight of the trailer (GVW) unless you do some re-weighing and computations. But the GVWR is not important, while the GAWR is very important. Exceeding the GAWR of the trailer can (and probably will) result in tire trouble and maybe other problems such as broken springs.

Even if you don't exceed the GAWR of the trailer, you can still have tire problems. The RV and other trailer manufacturers install trailer tires that will barely carry the weight of the trailer when loaded to the GAWR, even when you pump up the trailer tires to the max PSI on the tire sidewall. No fudge factor. The result is frequent blow outs and other tire problems. Been there, done that. So my three highway tag trailers as well as my 5er RV trailer all have oversized tires with significantly higher load carrrying capacity than the stock tires.

For example, my 3 tag trailers as well as my 5er RV trailer all came with ST205/75R15C tires on 5.5" wide rims. I replaced them all with 225/75R15E tires on 6" wide rims. I got home yesterday from a 2,000-mile round trip dragging the 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer at 65 to 70 MPH, without a hint of trailer tire problems. Experience tells me I would have had at least one blowout and probably two if I tried that trip at that speed and load with the stock-size trailer tires.

Compare the gross combined weight (GCW) of the TV+trailer to the GCWR of the TV. If your gross weight is more than the GCWR of the tow vehicle, the TV will have to work very hard to climb hills and mountain passes, and you'll be the slow-poke holding up traffic.

Add the two TV axle weights and compare the total to the GVWR of the TV. Never exceed the GVWR of the TV.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight