Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Carlisle tires and hub temps

Hi all,
I'm about to replace my tires on my trailer. The guy I have been buying tires from for 30 years steered me away from Marathons and on to Carlisle radial HD load range E tires. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

I was also wondering at what temperature is an axle hub too hot? I have an IR gun and am curious what acceptable temps are. Thanks a bunch.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

Caelisle tires and hub temps

Correction: marathons and Carlisle ST's started wearing in strange ways. I never had radials as I do a lot of hard turns backing up and my tires twist a lot.

My 3rd set are Maxxis ST load range e. They are wearing well going on 3 yrs.

My hub temps range 130-150F. The temps should all be comparable assuming bearing lube is good and brakes are adjusted the same.

10k# 35' TT, Dexter ezlube axles

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Good call on the new Carlisle Radial Trail HD
Happy owner's so far. I touch my hubs and tires with my hand and they are warm but not hot.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #4

I have run Carlisle tires for years on my utility trailers so it was natural when it came time to change the tires on my redneck land yacht that I would go to the the Carlisle tires. I have never had a problem with them they wear well but as all ST tires they do have a limit as to how long they're good but five years. Never had one separate never had one blow. However I seem to attract nails for some reason... Dusty
Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Thanks guy's. That's what I needed to know. I have Provider tires on it right now and so far they seem to be decent tires. I have had Carlisle tires on my landscape trailer for a long time. But I have never heard of Provider or know anyone who has. So I'll go with what I know. Those temps give me a good base line to go by. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #6

Interesting point about the life of the tires. The first two sets gave me two years each. They don't wear out just wear strangely like cupping that is intermittent around the circumference. The Maxxis is the first set that has gone beyond 2 yrs for me. Still putting about the same miles/ yr.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maxxis are awesome tires. Carlisle had big problems a few years back but lately have been better.
My hubs run 10 degrees hotter on the sunny side. 115 - 125
Old 08-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I bought my 4 Carlisle's last year, I had them balanced. End of cupping problem! Check bearings and brake adjustment, should have 0 issues if you do this.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #9

That's the plan. I'm going to have it all done at once. I have ordered new bearings, races and seals. I'm taking the manufacturers recommended grease as well. Doing all this I'll feel a lot better about towing my trailer.
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Maxxis are awesome tires. Carlisle had big problems a few years back but lately have been better.
My hubs run 10 degrees hotter on the sunny side. 115 - 125
I looked at Maxxis but they are not offered in my tire size and seemingly would be hard to replace if I needed one in a hurry.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider15 View Post
I have ordered new bearings, races and seals.
I hope you ordered a good brand of bearings, like Timken, and not cheap Chinese junk. I learned my lesson.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
I have Provider tires on it right now and so far they seem to be decent tires. I have had Carlisle tires on my landscape trailer for a long time. But I have never heard of Provider or know anyone who has. So I'll go with what I know. Those temps give me a good base line to go by. Thanks again.
I see the Providers from Taskmaster mentioned more on commercial haulers websites and some of the large 5th wheel branded forums.

PJ and Starlite and other of those type of trailer mfg are using the Providers on their small and heavy trailers. They should work fine on a RV.

Just a heads up on the Maxxis.
Maxxis has said not all of their ST 8008 tires have the nylon cap under the tread.
Some folks have had issues with the Maxxis ST tire and this could be a reason why. I would check with Maxxis 1-800 tech folks and make sure your size has the nylon cap.
JMO....at some point Maxxis is going to have to update the 8008 tire to keep up with other new gen ST tires on the market the last 4-5 year or so. Their stuck at 65 mph speed rating which is about tire temps.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #13

After some research I'm finding what you are saying about the Provider tires. The do get some good reviews. I check them every time I move the trailer and they "look" great. They are wearing evenly and show no signs of anything being wrong with them. BUT, looks can be deceiving. One reason I'm concerned about a blow out is the damage it will cause. Not only to the trailers structure but the wiring and hoses are exposed for both slide outs. The kitchen slide and the opposing slide sit over the tires. A messed up fender skirt I can fix. All that wiring will be a total pain to repair.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you have TPMS?

Tags
tires