Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #1

O.K here's one that should have you scratching your head.

Last August we parked our 25 Ft. Springdale travel trailer on a grassy/treed lot in New Hampshire. When we returned a week later we noticed inside large black ants that looked like Carpenter ants. We sprayed some insecticide, they abated and we thought we would lose them when we moved.

We saw the occassional ant during our travels down the East Coast. In September we parked the trailer in South Carolina and winterized it.

We checked the trailer in January and saw two ants. Were back there this week and saw four.

They appear in various locations. We have pounded on the walls and ceiling to see if we could disturb them and discover there location, no luck. We have removed the microwave and there is nothing behind that. Nothing noticable in the cupboards or anywhere else we can see. The Terminex people are baffled and don't want to do anything because there would seem to be no access to apply chemicals. There is nothing obvious on any of the walls, floors or ceilings.

Has anyone else had this issue or have an idea where we could go from here? Carpenter ants do not respond to the same treatments as other ants, i.e. ants cups and sprays are of no value. We do not see ants leaving the unit or crawling on the outside and inside we never see them enter the walls.

Needless to say we are concerned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #2

O.K here's one that should have you scratching your head.

Last August we parked our 25 Ft. Springdale travel trailer on a grassy/treed lot in New Hampshire. When we returned a week later we noticed inside large black ants that looked like Carpenter ants. We sprayed some insecticide, they abated and we thought we would lose them when we moved.

We saw the occassional ant during our travels down the East Coast. In September we parked the trailer in South Carolina and winterized it.

We checked the trailer in January and saw two ants. Were back there this week and saw four.

They appear in various locations. We have pounded on the walls and ceiling to see if we could disturb them and discover there location, no luck. We have removed the microwave and there is nothing behind that. Nothing noticable in the cupboards or anywhere else we can see. The Terminex people are baffled and don't want to do anything because there would seem to be no access to apply chemicals. There is nothing obvious on any of the walls, floors or ceilings.

Has anyone else had this issue or have an idea where we could go from here? Carpenter ants do not respond to the same treatments as other ants, i.e. ants cups and sprays are of no value. We do not see ants leaving the unit or crawling on the outside and inside we never see them enter the walls.

Needless to say we are concerned.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
They ARE concerning as they can do as much damage as termites to wood & anything with cellulose.

I am currently battling them in my stick house. The first thing our Terminix entomologist asked me was if I knew of any leaks in my walls as carpenter ants are attracted to moist wood. I told him "not that I know of", but that's not to say there isn't something hidden. Our latest infestation is around a SW facing window. It gets a lot of rain hitting it & I'm trying to locate where water is penetrating.

Check for any dampness in your TT or any place water might infiltrate - around windows (weepholes especially), inside cabinets (especially under sinks,shower, around toilet), behind fridge, around slides & in any storage compartments.

Let us know what happens with your visitors.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #4

Carpenter Ants Love Moisture... About the only way I can recommend to help them vacate is to find a Hot dry Place... Store the Rv there for a few weeks to a month...
As I doubt that is much of an option for you ... I would start at the roof, check all of the obvious places seals... corners, refer Vent... If you have no success, remove the A/C unit... this will expose your roof rafters, you may be able to get some form of a view... look closely for moisture... condensation on the roofing material moisture in the vent system. If all appears to be Dry and in good shape, close everything up with NEW seals. do the same thing to your pop up vents... this too will expose your rafters. Next move to the area around your Fresh water tank, Condensation from a cold tank will help attract the little buggers. still no success, I would move on to each wall outlet ..one at a time and look for the obvious signs. I have heard, but cannot confirm.. there are sonic sound producing devices that will drive most ants and other pests out. not sure of how well they work but it may be a final ditch point. Good luck and let us know what you find.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #5

We had an issue with them in FL.

We sprayed a lot of Terminix Carpenter Ant Killer.

Finally found that they were coming in through the water bay... We plugged the access and made sure it stayed dry, along with lots of ant spray when we were in FL.

Haven't had them since.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #6

Hi Lon,

I am not sure I am replying in the proper place. Please let me know if you receive this.

Thank you for your imput. Needless to say we have looked for "wet wood". I had one pest control person say, " Wet wood is what they looke for". The Terminix person said " Not necessarily, they will also nest in insulation." Great Huh.

Are your people telling you any treatment options? We could possibly put something in the access ports (2) around the tub/shower. So far we do not know what to use.

We have friends who suggest setting off "a bomb"/ Not sure if this would do any good. Works for fleas but ants????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NLOVNIT:
They ARE concerning as they can do as much damage as termites to wood & anything with cellulose.

I am currently battling them in my stick house. The first thing our Terminix entomologist asked me was if I knew of any leaks in my walls as carpenter ants are attracted to moist wood. I told him "not that I know of", but that's not to say there isn't something hidden. Our latest infestation is around a SW facing window. It gets a lot of rain hitting it & I'm trying to locate where water is penetrating.

Check for any dampness in your TT or any place water might infiltrate - around windows (weepholes especially), inside cabinets (especially under sinks,shower, around toilet), behind fridge, around slides & in any storage compartments.

Let us know what happens with your visitors.

L- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I've fought the carpenter ants at home too. Any time I see them, I start checking my outside house walls at night using a flashlight as that's when they're most active; especially on warm, humid nights. Then I dust the path they're taking with boric acid. It takes awhile, but if you're diligent with your checking and dusting, you should succeed in a couple of weeks. If the dust isn't holding to the material you're putting it on, dissolve the boric acid in water and "paint" it on. The important thing is to get the ants to walk through it.

You can buy boric acid from the pharmacist at any pharmacy.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Hi Everyone

I had ants in my MH sprinkled Borax soap around and in compatments - No more ants
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mandy,

I believe our satellite nest is in the wall somewhere around that window. I've read it's usually treated with an insecticidal dust but that the dust isn't available to the public. The ants often use electical wiring as their "highways" & we could use Boric acid (like Frank stated) to treat the wall by squirting it in the outlet we have next to the window. I just have to make sure to turn off the breaker to that outlet so there's no risk of shock when I'm trying to get the Boric acid in there.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #10

Frank Marin, Jersey Bob and Nlovinit,

Thank you so much for your input on the ants. Will see about the borax. Have used that in the past for pests in rental units but had forgotten about it.

Mandy 33
Old 04-02-2008, 04:08 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had ants in last trl set off fogger bomb and worked.also had ants in mail box tried everthing an ended up putting downy fabric softner sheets in box ants gone one day an still after a year.Now trl has downy in all compartments and openings when parked.Smell must keep them out?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Just curious, What would cause ants to be in your mailbox? I sometimes get wasps in my mailbox only because I'm too lazy to fill the open gap between the bottom plate and the rear panel of the box with some caulking. But, I've never had ants.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankenstien:
Carpenter Ants Love Moisture... About the only way I can recommend to help them vacate is to find a Hot dry Place... Store the Rv there for a few weeks to a month...
As I doubt that is much of an option for you ... I would start at the roof, check all of the obvious places seals... corners, refer Vent... If you have no success, remove the A/C unit... this will expose your roof rafters, you may be able to get some form of a view... look closely for moisture... condensation on the roofing material moisture in the vent system. If all appears to be Dry and in good shape, close everything up with NEW seals. do the same thing to your pop up vents... this too will expose your rafters. Next move to the area around your Fresh water tank, Condensation from a cold tank will help attract the little buggers. still no success, I would move on to each wall outlet ..one at a time and look for the obvious signs. I have heard, but cannot confirm.. there are sonic sound producing devices that will drive most ants and other pests out. not sure of how well they work but it may be a final ditch point. Good luck and let us know what you find. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nail on head
these critters love warm moist wood
our florida stick house got em bad one year...we found we had a leaking roof shrtly thereafter and it had rotted a big piece of timber
we did the sprays and bombs and termite treatments,
the only way to run em off is get the wood DRY and hot and untasty, and replace the rotted wood, some painting places have stuff in a can you can paint on the little eaten wood to prevent further dinner nights, it has arsenic and copper sulfate, real hard to find now days, try an OLD hardware store
thay can eat a house from the roof down as fast as termites can from the ground up

good luck
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ants in mail box.Mabie they came in mail?The box sits on railroad tie standing on end.