Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #1

carpet renovations= mold!!!

hello everyone. sorta new to this.. never posted on a forum and never owned a house till about 4 weeks ago. i got a 2000 fleetwood wilderness GL 34P. i decided to replace the carpet in the entire trailer and put new linoleum in the bathroom before my newborn son, wife and i move in. while excavating i found out the entire trailer has linoleum floors under the carpet?!! then i felt a raised area under the linoleum in the master bedroom by the slide out mechanism. i peeled it back and the bottom of the linoleum had black mycelium like stands allover and the plywood subfloor was soaking wet. i pushed my claw bar on it and water squeezed out. as i pulled all the linoleum back i discovered the entire area around the motor and bars was rotting. i pulled up the closet floorboard where the fresh water tank is and the hoses look pretty old and one runs under the slide out motor toward the bathroom sink.i know im gona have to replace the subfloor but i have no clue were to begin to take off the motor to get it out without messing up the slide out. has anybody had to do this? btw this probably isn't in the right topic
papa_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_heart View Post
i know im gona have to replace the subfloor but i have no clue were to begin to take off the motor to get it out without messing up the slide out. has anybody had to do this? btw this probably isn't in the right topic
You have a project that I don't envy you!!

I have done this at least partially with two trailers - and it isn't a project for the faint of heart as you have to gut the trailer where the damage is to the frame and since most are built using the steel chassis, whether it's a slide or the main trailer itself, then the plywood floor as the backbone for the entire assembly.

The first thing that has to be done is to find out where the leak is, repair that, then "dig in" (wearing at least an N95 face mask, gloves and chemical level goggles - mold is toxic!!!). Without some photos and description as you progress, probably not a lot more that can be done, but some of us here can give you some long distance help and encouragement once you get going. My repairs were done using marine grade plywood which is at least water resistant.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some mold is toxic, not all mold. You should still protect your self as it can still cause allergy problems and lung infections. Remember that blue cheese has mold and penicillin is derived from mold.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Some mold is toxic, not all mold. You should still protect your self as it can still cause allergy problems and lung infections. Remember that blue cheese has mold and penicillin is derived from mold.

Ken
I can assure you that the kinds of mold that form on building materials - it's toxic. This is NOT food or medicine controlled environment mold
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

I agree with IC2's suggestions and comments. It sounds like you have a large, time-consuming job ahead replacing the flooring I suspect you will find the most advice and "been-there-done-that" suggestions from the knowledgeable folks on the vintage RV board
For those areas that do not require removal and replacement, you might consider using one of these products: Safe Shield Mold Cleaning Product
or Concrobium Mold Control Removes, Eliminates and Prevents Mold and Mould at Home | Concrobium Mold Control
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #6

wow! thank you everyone for your replies and advice. my main concern at this moment is detaching the slide out motor and guide rails and tearing up that rotten wood, seeing what the damage may be caused by, replacing the pipes with better ones then re insulating it. but most importantly i don't want to damage the slide out mechanism taking it out and putting it back in. i think i can unscrew the motor from underneath the trailer but everything else im not to sure about. also i want to take out the water furnace and tank and put in new subfloor there as well. here are some pictures i took. let me know if they are not clear and i will take better ones.
and thank you again for all your help.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #7

oh yeah

i forgot to mention i talked to the previos owner and he said the hot water furnace had a leak about 5 years ago so he replaced all the damaged parts and put new sub floor in. i think it might be the same pipe or a different one that wasn't damaged then.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

You might consider pressure testing your water system while you have everything exposed. Fill the system with water and turn on the pump or hook up to city water and watch for leaks. Better now than when you have all the new wood in place.

If you can identify the slide mechanism manufacturer, you may download the service and installation manual from Aero-Rv.com - Aerolite Ultra Lite RV Travel Trailer and Expandable Hybrid Campers . Hopefully yours is listed and has enough information to facilitate removing and re-installing your mechanism.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote