Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #1

Carrying dump tote

Hi everyone. Our trailer has a small black tank, and grey also, which usually is not a problem. The whole family can go at least 4 days before the black tank is full but on a week long trip it will need to be dumped so i am planning to get one of those dump tote things with wheels, but had a couple questions.
- how easy is it to dump them? And do they smell afterward?
-where do you all usually carry them while going to your destination? I certainly dont want that thing in the van with us. I was thinking of making a way to hang it up under the back of the trailer, as we would only need a smal one.
Mirageags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #2

dealing with your extra dump tank empty isn't the problem. if you're worried about where you're going to put it when it's empty. how are you going to deal with it when it's full????
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We go with the family (10 people) each year to the Kern River. We stay where there is water and elec but there is only a dump by the bathrooms. So instead of breaking camp and moving the MH to dump we bought a 35 gallon tote on craigslist. Also bought a bike carrier and carry the tote on the ladder sitting on the bike rack and bungie corded to the ladder. The tote has a long handle and four wheels so it is just like a wagon. We pull it to the dump and empty it. Works great for us.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
dealing with your extra dump tank empty isn't the problem. if you're worried about where you're going to put it when it's empty. how are you going to deal with it when it's full????
Im going to tow it up to the dump station behind the van with the handle on the ball..
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #5

I have a 30 gallon tote with 2 wheels and long handle with a loop on the end (slips over a trailer hitch ball). My black tank is 40 gal, grey tank is 60.

I try to dump the black water when onboard tank is 3/4 full so I can get all the black water in one run. NOTE: the first few times I dumped into my tote I found the entire process absolutely repugnant, as you can't help but get a good look at a few floaters when you remove the short sewer hose from the top of the tank before you seal up the inlet for transport to the dump station.

Once sealed I hook the looped handle over the trailer ball on my VUE and slowly drive to the dump station. Never exceeding walking speed. BTW... When full 30 gallons of Cr...Stuff is HEAVY!!! Don't forget to take your short sewer hose with you. You'll need it at the dump station.

When I get to the dump station first thing I do is unhitch the tote and roll it into position next to the dump hole in the ground. Then I remove the inlet cap (now the outlet cap), and attach the short sewer hose. This is another opportunity for a floater to rise to the opening and say Hi!

Attach the short sewer hose and shove the loose end down the dump station hole. As my inlet/outlet is on the top of the tank, I then lift handled end to start the flow of liquid er.,al., into the dump sewer. As the tank drains I lift the handle end higher and eventually I end up with the tank completely inverted (the inlet/outlet is pointing down).

Once the tote is empty, I'll use fresh water from the dump station and put about 5 gallon in the tote, put the lid back on, then slosh it around and then dump that water.

I then return to the motorhome to dump and transport the grey water. Dumping the grey water also washes out the inside of the tote, and when all done I do the fresh water rinse one last time.

Following this procedure I have never had a problem with it smelling at all. I keep mine store in one of my basement compartments and I never have any offensive aroma when I open the compartment door.

Hope this helps you to understand the process. Bottom line, it's not a pretty job, but it beat breaking camp to drive to dump station.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #6

My black tank is only 10 gallons so im not too worried about weight. But that was good info on how its done!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
?...bought a 35 gallon tote on craigslist. Also bought a bike carrier and carry the tote on the ladder sitting on the bike rack and bungie corded to the ladder. The tote has a long handle and four wheels so it is just like a wagon. We pull it to the dump and empty it. Works great for us.
X2, although mine is a Barker 25Gal 2 wheel version.
Clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote