Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #1

Caulk ?

Going to replace one of the corner moulding on our TT, don't want to use the butyl tape because of the ripples in the alu. siding. I have used Polyseamseal in past projects and like working with it .

Any Comments ? Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #2

What about non sagging Dicor lap seal?

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #3

You use non butyl putty tape to fill the gaps and seal it off. Then, if done properly, you don't need sealant on the outside.

I don't like Dicor non sag. I prefer anything Sikaflex; much better product.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

Dicor and Silkafkex are both fine products and either one will fit you needs.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #5

Just so we're all clear, you're wanting something to go UNDER the trim right?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

Yes, under the moulding, i'm just afraid of the tape not filling the gaps in the lap siding,fiquired laying tons of caulk on the TT coorner and in the mouldingit will ozz out everywhere an fill any voids. I have worked with Polyseamseal many times and very easy to clean up the excess caulk and leaves a very tough seal , granted,i have never used it on a RV
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

I've never used that either but OEMs and I use non butyl putty tape. It's thicker, not sticky or ooz-y like butyl tape is. Doing corner trim is a ______. Fill the valleys in the paneling, lay a bead of trim on each side of trim, screw it down, and then take the excess putty and push it into the empty spaces. In the end, I take paint thinner and rub it along the putty to smooth it out and and make it look pretty.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I've never used that either but OEMs and I use non butyl putty tape. It's thicker, not sticky or ooz-y like butyl tape is. Doing corner trim is a ______. Fill the valleys in the paneling, lay a bead of trim on each side of trim, screw it down, and then take the excess putty and push it into the empty spaces. In the end, I take paint thinner and rub it along the putty to smooth it out and and make it look pretty.
Please help me learn your technique. I like reading your posts because it's obvious you know what you're doing. Experience is a great teacher. Why doesn't it ooze as much as the butyl. You put short strips in the valleys and then long continuous narrow strips on both sides of the trim piece and then screw it down? I couldn't tell if you meant a strip of tape or bead of caulk. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #9

I use proflex rv sealant for the interface between the trailer siding and anything that penetrates it. As described earlier, I just shoot enough material so that it oozes out when the screws are tightened.

Can anyone post a link to the non butyl tape?
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Non butyl just doesn't ooze because it's not as sticky. Because there's no butylene in it???? I don't honestly, just a guess.

I only put putty under the trim and anything getting screwed down.

A liquid sealant works too, I just don't and neither do most mfgs.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I have an older tt metal siding and used the wider non butyl tape but it leaked due to large gap between metal at corners. I was thinking the butyl tape would stick better. Maybe i did it wrong so i am trying to understand the best way to seal it.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #12

I just replaced the corner trim that started this thread. I decided to use the bytle tape,what a job, first i think i put too much on, i put one strip down the campers edge and two on the trim, tring to make up for the valleys in the siding. When i put the two together it sat waaaay above the corner,boy i thought i had screwed up, but with countinued pressure,hammering with a rubber mallet and continueing tightening the screws as the excess ozzed out, i got it done. Cleaning all the excess ,ozzed out tape off was a chore { plastic razor knifes and paint thinner }but came out fine, and it will never leak !!!!

It's quite a learning curve using the tape with how stickey it is andi think iff i did it againg i would use the proflex caulk i have used elsewhere on our TT.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I just replaced the corner trim that started this thread. I decided to use the bytle tape,what a job, first i think i put too much on, i put one strip down the campers edge and two on the trim, tring to make up for the valleys in the siding. When i put the two together it sat waaaay above the corner,boy i thought i had screwed up, but with countinued pressure,hammering with a rubber mallet and continueing tightening the screws as the excess ozzed out, i got it done. Cleaning all the excess ,ozzed out tape off was a chore { plastic razor knifes and paint thinner }but came out fine, and it will never leak !!!!

It's quite a learning curve using the tape with how stickey it is andi think iff i did it againg i would use the proflex caulk i have used elsewhere on our TT.
I will try some proflex in the gap between the siding then put a strip of butyl tape over it. I replaced the rubber roof and thought about covering the gap with a 1 inch strip of rubber on top of butyl tape. I have scraps 25 ft long left over.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #14

If you are doing the corner trim, i really don't see the benefit of using both ???