Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #1

Certified Green TT's

We have been shopping for a TT (first time buyers) and we seems to be sensitive to the fumes from glues and finishes. We see that several TT manufacturers are "Certified Green" by an independent third party ( see Certified Green by TRA Certification ) e.g Jayco, Airstream, Forest River, Evergreen, Earthbound, and a couple more.

I would be interested to hear from owners (and visitors to other TTs) who have experienced both green and non-green trailers, and whether they have noticed a difference in off gassing.

Additional differences worth comment could include such things as lower energy LED lights (inside and external e.g tail lights).

There does not seem to be a noticeable price difference between Certified Green and the regular, either.

I need more info to add to the incredible swirl of stuff I now know about buying a TT!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

Out gassing

We are TT shopping right now. We have come to the conclusion to either buy an Evergreen product or buy a trailer that is a couple years old. This is because of the horrible out gassing, I cannot stay for more that a few minutes in a new trailer, especially one that has been closed up, cause it can be overwhelming. my hubby and I sat in an iGo for a bit, never noticed and strong smell.
So you are not alone.
Erika

Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
We are TT shopping right now. We have come to the conclusion to either buy an Evergreen product or buy a trailer that is a couple years old. This is because of the horrible out gassing, I cannot stay for more that a few minutes in a new trailer, especially one that has been closed up, cause it can be overwhelming. my hubby and I sat in an iGo for a bit, never noticed and strong smell.
So you are not alone.
Erika
All Certified Green TT smelled fine to us. Evergreen are great but more $$ than many.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #4

Funny, we haven't found the iGos to be expensive. All new RVs in our size and weight limit needs, seems to be around $20.
The airstreams are crazy expensive but beautiful works of art.
I did find some of the Jayco brands are certified green, but couldn't find an acutual rating.
Erika
Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #5

Rain Dog,

At the start of this thread is the link to the Certified Green website. For most of the rv mfrs it lists it also has a link to the level of green rating each achieved. Emerald is the highest.

Gary
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #6

Yes, I just discovered that jayco is gold and emerald status, that opens more options for us, though my husband and I are totally in love with the iGo :-).
Thais for the info, very helpful.
Erika

Oops, just noticed I already posted about jayco. The gulf stream Visa is green too.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

We have just ordered a Evergreen Ever-lite TT. One of the reasons was the certified green .they also have led lighting. I also feel the composite material they use will hold up better. We were able to see many models of the Evergreen TT's and feel they are very well built. I feel the less wood in my unit the less worry of rot and mold to happen. As I started looking many months ago I read about lots of delamination problems in TT's .We know once water gets in between the fiberglass walls and that cheap luan plywood gets wet you will have trouble down the road. I'm not sure if any RV is perfect but you just have to do your research and then go with the one you feel is the right one . Good luck!

Tags
evergreen