Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The brand ? What brand ?

Use what ever brand you want but at least share the name of the junk brand.

I'm not bashful about stating what tires. I got four new Carlisle's and they were junk. They didn't last a full year before two of them bought the farm. I them bought four Maxxis tires and all has been well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #16

You can also get the dealer to swap your wheels and tires with the new ones.

Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I understand your concern but have you checked where the Maxxis tires are from ?
I believe they are made in Thailand.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
You can also get the dealer to swap your wheels and tires with the new ones.
That was my first thought, but I kind of just want to take the trailer and keep it moving from the dealer. In my experience dealers always try to talk you out of this or that. Rather than have them screw something up I would like to just keep it moving unless there is a warranty issue.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm just injecting what I heard. My brother- In-law, is semi retired in Canada. He tows TT and 5vers from factory to dealer.. He says many of these tires on new ones are junk. He's had several blowouts. The speed rating on many are only 65. I'm sure we've all been passed by someone towing going much faster.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #20

The speed rating on ALL ST tires is 65mph... My Marathon tires have held up well over 3 years and 15000km with no visible wear. I'll change them at 5 years or whenever there's abnormal signs of wear. Some new trailers come with LT tires from the factory.

Then again, I keep the pressure at max, use an external tpms and weight my trailer from time to time to ensure we're not over the axle weight rating. Some of that mileage was gravel and very rough Canadian "pavement ".
Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #21

I changed out my tires and wheels shortly after I bought the trailer. That way I was able to sell the originals on Craigslist for a fair price. Been very happy with my made in USA LT tires ever since.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #22

Replace tires w/new (i run Goodyear Marathon) and replace the spring shackle bushings with bronze bushings and wet bolts OR Lippert Never-Fail bushings. Add a pair of Dexter rubber equalizers (equa-flex??) and shocks if your rig does not have shocks. The junk plastic spring shackle bushings will last about 1,000 miles, then you will rapidly wear out your tires. Mfg/dealer will not warranty as bushings are 'wear' items. Leaf spring trailer suspensions as supplied are junk-also recommend ditching the drum (dumb) brakes and install disc brakes with a Dexter actuator. Smooth sailing!
cruzbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #23

We bought our Minnie in the fall of 2013 and we used it with the origingal tires until this spring. I didn't have any problems with the China made tires that came on it, but I put a set of Maxxis on it last spring before heading out on a major trip out west. For me, it was worth the peace of mind to put on new Maxxis as I have had them on a different trailer and they held up very well.

If you are really concerned about the "China bombs", spend the $$ and buy some peace of mind with a set of Maxxis. Then, just be sure to monitor pressure, keep your speed reasonable and don't overload your trailer.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #24

Had two original (Chinese) tires blow out less that 200 miles from home.
Bought a new set (4) on the road and finished out the trip, 1700 miles.

Made a few shorts runs and then the following year made another long haul.
Blew two more tires and bought another set of China Bombs on the road. ...again.

Within a year, on a short 500 mi. run, blew one out and noticed another had belts separating.
Bought two tires just to get back home.

Chunked the whole mess and upgraded to 16" wheels and U.S.A. made LT truck tires with E load rating.
Finally some piece of mind.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All the folks that have had blowouts: Were you using TPMS for the trailer tires when they blew?

I have the tires on my trailer that were installed by the factory, and I have TPMS since the trip home.

My "China bombs" are speed rated for 75MPH, but that does not make me tow that fast. I'm in it for the trip *and* the destination. I'll be the guy in the right lane going either the speed limit or 65MPH, whichever is slower, with my TPMS keeping an eye on the trailer tires, and enjoying the scenery.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #26

We bought our TT brand new and ran the original tires for one season. Then I upgraded to 16 inch rims and LT tires and sold the original wheels (rims + tires) for $400 on Craigslist because they looked brand new. It also helped that they were nice looking aluminum wheels.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
All the folks that have had blowouts: Were you using TPMS for the trailer tires when they blew?

I have the tires on my trailer that were installed by the factory, and I have TPMS since the trip home.

My "China bombs" are speed rated for 75MPH, but that does not make me tow that fast. I'm in it for the trip *and* the destination. I'll be the guy in the right lane going either the speed limit or 65MPH, whichever is slower, with my TPMS keeping an eye on the trailer tires, and enjoying the scenery.
I'm the guy you passed who was doing 60mph.

No TPMS, but I'm also the guy you see checking his tire pressure every morning before pulling out. ...and even sometimes during fuel stops.
After the tire problems I've had, the slightest variations in pressures has me headed to the tire store.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
We may be upgrading trailers IF everything goes smoothly, and I'm thinking in the back of my mind should we put maxxis tires on the new trailer before the first trip. Or run the factory tires for a season and buy new ones next year?
I put maxxis tires on the trailer we have currently and they are 2 seasons old and have been great. I'm just wondering with all the new TT's and Fifth wheels I see at campgrounds how many people have actually switched from the get go, and how many just pull the trailer along without a care in the world. I have a hard time believing every new trailer I see is going to have a blow out that damages the trailer.
We are and come from a working class back ground and it seems a bit excessive to drop $25k on a new trailer then turn around and drop $500 more on new tires because they MIGHT blow.
Your thoughts please...
2500HD
When you upgrade to a new trailer why not simply buy a trailer made by a company that uses good tires in the first place?
(Common sense should tell you: if the builder uses useless tires on a "brand new trailer" everything about the trailer is suspect).
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
tires