Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #43
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first thing you should do is inspect the tires, Epically the DATE CODE, also weigh the thing and compare the weight to the inflation chart for the tire.. (Even with trailers proper inflation.. Where the PSI is determined by the weight the wheel is supporting, is the way to maximize tire life).

True story: First trailer I had (A PUP) the tires (one in particular) kept blowing.. I finally changed both tire and rim.. Got 3 rims and tires one size larger (diamater) after making sure they would fit,,, Kept the first tire that failed (it did nto blow, it lost tread) as an emergency spare.. used it a few times before I got the proper size spare... That dang tire was the best of the lot.

The new larger size did not get as hot going down the road because being larger they did not spin as fast and they had more time to dissipate the heat, thus they did not blow..

When I got a new HARD side trailer (A TT not a PUP) I did the same upgrade.. Picked up a nail in one tire which lead to a story for another time, But never did blow a tire till one day I towed it up to the Dealership. Nothing in it but a cassette toilet (Dry) perhaps 5 pounds.. On the way I blew a tire, put the spare on and delivered it that way.. This was a 13' Scamp... Dropped it at the dealer and drove a Class A home.. it's 13' WIDE fully set up.; Bit of an upgrade (37'7" long).

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #44
Jayco Owners Club
Some TT makers have a Maxxis option when new... but it's usually about $700- or more. Of course everything Is negotiable. If this bear market doesn't bankrupt me I'll be trading up soon, and I'll go with that option. Three of my 4 TowMax tires were bad long before the tread was gone. I found them before they blew, so I had no damage. Being a pilot has taught me the importance of pre-flight inspections...

Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #45
Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards having my tires swapped to the new trailer. Or just waiting a bit and buying 4 new maxxis tires. Would rather sell all the wheels and tires and get 16in wheels and run the same tire I have on my truck, but that's far fetched $$$.
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #46
I just purchased our first TT and this information is interesting to me. I have heard about poor quality tires from a client who is an avid RVer, hence why I searched for this info and found this thread.
I am going to take measurements today and will check the brand of tire on there.
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #47

I replaced my Towmax tires within 30 days of buying my new rig. Read too many stories about failures on this forum and others.

Replaced with G rated 14 ply for peace of mind.
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20.
raineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #48
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got my TT in August, and only have two trips on it. I think keeping an eye on the tire pressure, making sure the lugs nuts are tight, checking the temperature and tread etc. will be all I do for at least the first few trips. I would like to get to the end of the 2016 season, then do preventive maintenance such as packing the wheel bearings and changing out the tires. Might be rolling the dice, but I am like the OP, hate to not get at least some use out of the overall investment.
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #49
OP. Keep in mind you can recoup some of your money by selling the original tires. I advertised my 3 remaining original tires on fb as atv trailer tires. I explained to the buyer about the blowout and he was fine with using them on his utility trailer. Got $125 for the 3.
2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:52 AM   #50
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
OP. Keep in mind you can recoup some of your money by selling the original tires. I advertised my 3 remaining original tires on fb as atv trailer tires. I explained to the buyer about the blowout and he was fine with using them on his utility trailer. Got $125 for the 3.
For sure you can sell your China 'Bombs', if fairly new, for utility trailer use. I sold, via Craigslist, my year old 16" E rated Blowmaxs for the price of one replacement LT USA made tire to a contractor who wanted them for his equipment trailer. All is not lost

As I as well as others said way back, not all suffer from tire disaster but enough so that I needed assurances that I had done all that could to insure our safety.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #51
You do the math and decide. The RV industry has produced more than 300,000 tow behinds and fifth wheels each year for the past three years. That is over a million tires a years, for the last three years.

How many trailers have you personally seen going down the road each year?
How many have you seen off to the side of the road with a flat?
How many of those with a flat were do to poor tire construction rather than a raod hazard?
What brand of tiires has never had problems.

When you answer those questions you will know if you want to spend your money or not.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #52
To add to that list above...

How many are over inflating the tires? How many are overloading the trailer and not knowing it? How many are driving faster that design speed of the tires causing explosive failures? How many are striking potholes and debris with overinflated tires?

Myself I used TowMax tires no issues lasted well beyond 5 years and about 40k miles of both on-highway and offroad in the forest. I've now got Transporter Tires now no issues either. I even store my RV in the DIRT. Yes the dirt drive in my yard. No issues. My utility trailer still has the cheap China Made Jaxxon tires No issues. I don't believe in the market hype that you MUST have Maxxis tires on your RV to prevent blow out. I think it more about using the tire with its designed limits. Not over inflating, not driving to fast.

Since I bought my RV the spare has NEVER touched the ground ONCE! I bought the RV used in 2010 its 2016 now and never had one flat tire.

No I do not have a pavement princess both my truck and trailer get worked.

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 towing 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #53
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
To add to that list above...

How many are over inflating the tires? How many are overloading the trailer and not knowing it? How many are driving faster that design speed of the tires causing explosive failures? How many are striking potholes and debris with overinflated tires?
How many have TPMS on the trailer?
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #54
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
How many have TPMS on the trailer?
I decided to order a six sensor set:

I'm putting sensors on all four travel trailer tires and sensors on the rear tires of the Tundra. If I like the system and keep it, I'll eventually get two more sensors for the front two tires. Although I've never had a blow out on a trailer ("knock on wood"), it's nice to be at a point in life where I can afford to buy something like this as a little added insurance. And, for my own convenience, I can turn on the system in the morning and see if I need to get out the compressor and add air to any of the tires.

We will be heading out on a trip around the 22nd of February and file a short review of the system. David of outsideourbubble reviews the system on their website and have also posted a video: Recommended Items | Outside Our Bubble

Dave arranged for free programming and shipping if you use information from his website. The free shipping option isn't available anymore, but I was able to get the free programming.
Retired but busier than ever!
2013 Winnebago 2201DS - 6,200 lbs. or so loaded!
2007 Tundra 5.7
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #55
I added TPMS to the trailer and truck at the same time I upgraded to G rated LT tires.
2015 Gateway 3650BH
2005 F250 CC 4x4
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #56
Okay, given that all ST tires seem to be made in China, are they all "China bombs"? Or are some better than others?

danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote