Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #71
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
..........My rig has a CO2 tank allowing me to top off any low tire in a few moments, ...........
A curiosity question and not trying to start any argument - why do you use CO2 rather then the usual nitrogen for filling tires?
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #72

I have this concern as well. The tires that came on my Grey Wolf are Lionshead Vail Sport ST's. I cannot find any information on these. The company has a website, but I cannot find any review on these. Makes me leery.
Brandon_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #73

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
A curiosity question and not trying to start any argument - why do you use CO2 rather then the usual nitrogen for filling tires?
Small CO2 tanks are easy and CO2 is inexpensive. CO2 under pressure is in a liquid state (just like propane) so your actual volume of usable gas for a given cylinder size is greater than a bottle of compressed nitrogen. Regarding benefits of nitrogen over CO2 over air is a matter of personal preference.

I'm wondering why he checks the pressure every morning when the TPMS is doing the same every few minutes.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_S View Post
I have this concern as well. The tires that came on my Grey Wolf are Lionshead Vail Sport ST's. I cannot find any information on these. The company has a website, but I cannot find any review on these. Makes me leery.
Here is a link to the Lionshead warranty for your tires. You can click on the "More Information" tab on their home page and send them an information request.

http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/med...Update-pdf.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #75
RPr

If you are looking at it from a reliability stand point, name one tire manufacturer that has not had issues or a recall. Foreign or domestic it does not matter, over the years they have all had issues.

The vast majority of the flat tires are from road hazard punctures and a nail through the tread or side wall stops them all.

I suppose you could buy military grade, bullet proof and bomb resistant tires. Heck it is your money, do what makes you feel happy. Just do not be surprised if others think you are a bit foolish.

The trailer companies, horse, boat, utility and of course TT makers use STs and will continue to do so because they do the job they were intended to do. Now if you boondock, travel in rough environments or like to scream down the road at 75 mph ; then maybe you should consider a more robust tire.

Most RVers get along quite well with the factory tires.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #76

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reply to a couple of other posts. I use CO2 instead of nitrogen because its cheaper to refill and my local nitrogen supply only swaps tanks. I wound like to keep the tank I bought. In some applications I think nitrogen maybe a better option, but CO2 works well for me. I also use the CO2 to run some air tools, etc.

Why do I check my tires every morning when I have a TPMS doing this job? I use a good quality digital pressure gauge accurate to +/- 0.5 PSI, the TPMS runs about +/- 2 PSI. I like to start out the day knowing what the pressure is and if a tire needs to be topped off its much easier in the campground opposed somewhere down the road.

I figure if a problem has at least one solution, then there are likely multiple workable solutions. I have have a tire solution that I'm comfortable with and works well for me and my equipment and use style. There are so many different RVs out there, variations in loading and use patterns I don't believe there is one best solution. Readers in this thread have raised many great questions and solutions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires