Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #1

Change tires on BRAND NEW TRAILER???

We may be upgrading trailers IF everything goes smoothly, and I'm thinking in the back of my mind should we put maxxis tires on the new trailer before the first trip. Or run the factory tires for a season and buy new ones next year?

I put maxxis tires on the trailer we have currently and they are 2 seasons old and have been great. I'm just wondering with all the new TT's and Fifth wheels I see at campgrounds how many people have actually switched from the get go, and how many just pull the trailer along without a care in the world. I have a hard time believing every new trailer I see is going to have a blow out that damages the trailer.

We are and come from a working class back ground and it seems a bit excessive to drop $25k on a new trailer then turn around and drop $500 more on new tires because they MIGHT blow.

Your thoughts please...
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
We may be upgrading trailers IF everything goes smoothly, and I'm thinking in the back of my mind should we put maxxis tires on the new trailer before the first trip. Or run the factory tires for a season and buy new ones next year?
I put maxxis tires on the trailer we have currently and they are 2 seasons old and have been great. I'm just wondering with all the new TT's and Fifth wheels I see at campgrounds how many people have actually switched from the get go, and how many just pull the trailer along without a care in the world. I have a hard time believing every new trailer I see is going to have a blow out that damages the trailer.
We are and come from a working class back ground and it seems a bit excessive to drop $25k on a new trailer then turn around and drop $500 more on new tires because they MIGHT blow.
Your thoughts please...
2500HD
Methinks you worry to much.

I might be wrong but IMO no trailer manufacturer would take the chance of putting tires on a new trailer that where not safe to use on that trailer.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Not true, they do it all the time. OP, Please do yourself a favor and either have your dealer put good tires on it as part of the deal or get good ones yourself ASAP. I changed out the junk tires on my new Gateway as soon as I got it home from the dealer.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm with Mel.
See what kind of tires come with the new trailer. Check to see if there are viable complaints against them. If no complaints, air them up properly and run them.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

How could you know they were junk, when you changed them when you got home ?

Did they fail on the trip ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

My tire dealer gives me credit for new tire take-offs toward the price of new tires. I usually go a size larger and to load range E.

Having confidence in my tires is worth it to me, plus my dealer mounts, balances, and warrants the tires of my choice.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

They didn't fail in the 100 mile trip but I have friends that have had multiple blow outs with a bunch of damage while running the brand of tire mine came with. I also did a bunch of research and this brand has a ton of complaints of blow outs with damage. I wasn't willing to take a chance with my new trailer. I always put good tires on my truck too, maybe I'm just cautious. ;D
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
If it says on the tire that they are made in China, then
they are indeed junk.
Friend of mine had two blowout, brand new trailer,
properly inflated !
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
They didn't fail in the 100 mile trip but I have friends that have had multiple blow outs with a bunch of damage while running the brand of tire mine came with. I also did a bunch of research and this brand has a ton of complaints of blow outs with damage. I wasn't willing to take a chance with my new trailer. I always put good tires on my truck too, maybe I'm just cautious. ;D
The brand ? What brand ?

Use what ever brand you want but at least share the name of the junk brand.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
My tire dealer gives me credit for new tire take-offs toward the price of new tires. I usually go a size larger and to load range E.

Having confidence in my tires is worth it to me, plus my dealer mounts, balances, and warrants the tires of my choice.
That makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
IC2

Many, not all, China made tire just are not up to the job. Spend some time 'wandering' the many RV forums along with this one and you will get a good picture of what that experience has been. If they are TowMax or any other Power Max made tire but Sailun, you have cause for worry. Yes, they may say that they are rated for the load and probably will do a good job for you for a year or so - but after that, very suspect. OE RV builders are bottom line oriented so cheap works for them with reliability way down the list. Then, being an ST tire, you are limited to 65 as far as speed. Yeah, you may not drive over 65 mph, but then, maybe you do and something I've seen all over the country. Do your homework by spending a few hours roaming the 'net and look at the tales of woe. Oh, and I changed the tires on our pretty big 5er after a year from an ST to an LT that at least has a margin for weight capacity plus will last for a normal 5-6 years with normal care.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
How could you know they were junk, when you changed them when you got home ?

Did they fail on the trip ?
We may purchase a new TT and from what I have read most TT come with what are called CHINA BOMBS which are known to have blow outs. My question is should we just run the tires it comes with for a year or so. OR take them off before the first trip. It seems a bit anal to take brand new tires off, but I don't want the trailer to get mangled in a blow out
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
We may purchase a new TT and from what I have read most TT come with what are called CHINA BOMBS which are known to have blow outs. My question is should we just run the tires it comes with for a year or so. OR take them off before the first trip. It seems a bit anal to take brand new tires off, but I don't want the trailer to get mangled in a blow out
I understand your concern but have you checked where the Maxxis tires are from ?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #14

I bought a used trailer that the previous owner had just put new tires on. One tire last 3000 miles, the spare that replaced it blew at 2000 miles (on a two lane mountain road with no place to pull off for a few miles), and by 5000 miles, the other three were worn to the cords. I just wish I could remember the brand name.

I replaced them with Towmax tires from Tirerack, and they seem to be doing well - not all Chinese tires are bad. They've got over 15,000 miles on them and the tread is barely worn in comparison to the first tires. I'm religious about proper air pressure, and am running about 700 lbs under the axle capacity according to the CAT scale.

I wouldn't change tires on a brand new trailer, but I'd watch them really closely for the first couple thousand miles and not be surprised if I did have to replace them.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires