Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

Changing

I am getting ready to sell my motorhome and buy a TT. I also need to purchase a tow vehicle that needs to be my everyday vehicle as well. I do not want a truck. Would like a 6 cylinder SUV. Can anyone recommend a reliable model and tell me what I can expect to be able to tow with it?
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

from what I see,most of the V6 SUV'S are rated at 3500 Lbs.
(google "best suv's for towing")
Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 2010 V6 Acadia SUV - a wonderful vehicle - is rated at 5200 pounds for towing.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

How big of a trailer? It better be fairly light weight.
What's wrong with a truck with a bed cover or bed topper? That is ALL an SUV is.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #5

Only SUV's worth towing with are the bigger Suburban types. All the smaller ones have a unibody and will not hold up to towing their max rated tow weight. Remember that you need a decent amount of payload capability too. Even a light weight TT of 3500lbs will be 4500lbs when loaded. That's 450-600lbs for the tongue weight. Receivers work in 10% increments. A 4500lb rated receiver will have a 450lb tongue weight capacity.

Tell us what size TT you're looking for.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

The new Ford explorer in the sport model can be had with the 3.5 Ecoboost which has 365 HP and over 400 FPT. It is rated to pull 5K I believe. One of the most capable V6 SUVs in the world. You will have to find a light TT but they make many. The new Jeep grand Cherokee can be had now with a diesel which may also be good small TV.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

Our old F150 with a V6 was rated to tow 5800 lbs and we were towing a TT weighing 5,000 lbs. It was a horrible experience towing with that truck and was way too underpowered for the TT. Could only make 30 - 35 mph on the interstate when it got steep. Headwinds were awful, especially when gusty.

Towing near a TVs max. is not the best idea and I think even more so in an SUV. You'll want to consider the SUV's payload and receiver capacity. Longer wheelbase and lower ground clearance in an SUV would be better too. I think I would choose one with bigger brakes if that's possible. There's "big" SUVs and "small" SUVs. Huge difference in what they can tow.

Not sure what you want in a trailer, but there's quite a few smaller lightweight trailers around now if you are thinking of a smaller SUV. The R-Pod by Forest River is one example. Surprisingly spacious for what they are and has a nice look and good features on the inside. Sexy looking on the outside too. Possibly a little better for mpg because of the shape compared to a regular box-shaped trailer. There's also Casita and Trillium, but just not as sexy looking and look kinda dated.

Might help if you give a better idea of your ideas for TV and TT. You could go with a Suburban 2500 and have 9600 lbs towing capacity but I think you mean something smaller along the lines of maybe a Jeep Liberty or Honda Pilot?? You really need to define what you want to tow first... When looking at trailer weights, go by the GVWR number to play it safe, not the dry weight.

If you are going to do a lot of towing, a V8 will get around the same fuel mileage as a V6. But if you are near the max. on towing capacity and find yourself having to hit the throttle hard a lot, your mileage could end up low, as in down towards 6 mpg. (BTDT) I wouldn't necessarily rule out a V8 as an option. For the 10 years I drove our V6 F150, I regretted buying the smaller engine.

Some info. on wheelbase in here (lengthy, but good):

http://www.slaga.net/RV/How%20to%20Tow-version%202.pdf

Some various info. here.:

Best Rated SUV for Towing

SUVs Towing More Than 3500 Pounds - 2012 Best In Class - Truck Trend Magazine

Best Towing SUVs Reviews & Ratings | ReviewItOnline.net SUVs

Truck and SUV Towing Capacity Charts

Top SUVs for Towing - AutoTrader.com

http://http://ask.cars.com/2013/05/w...00-pounds.html

There's a ton more great reading on the internet. Just google "SUV towing" or narrow it down if needed. There's also the other RV forums you can do a search on.

ps: Now that you've asked, you'll have to report back on what you get.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
The new Ford explorer in the sport model can be had with the 3.5 Ecoboost which has 365 HP and over 400 FPT. It is rated to pull 5K I believe. One of the most capable V6 SUVs in the world. You will have to find a light TT but they make many. The new Jeep grand Cherokee can be had now with a diesel which may also be good small TV.
The 3.5 EB is de-rated in the Explorer to 365hp/350tq
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #9

I assume you are looking at small trailers 18-23ft ultra lights. You will be limited to that size range with a smaller SUV. If you only want a small modest trailer you should be ok but I really think you will do much better with a full size pick up or SUV with the small v8 or v6. Give your self alittle wiggle room with the TV.

Obviously you are not new to camping so you know what you are talking about. But I see people all the time who aren't realistic with there vehical choices camping or not. I'm one of three people in my entire family who owns pickup trucks. everyone else REFUSES to own even a halfton truck "Because don't need one" or "They burn too much gas". Guess who they call when they need a truck....Me. I refuse to help anymore. I just say I thought you didn't need or want a truck.

please dont take this the wrong way its just my personal opinion
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
My brand new explorer spent more time at the dealer chasing gremlins then on the road. Only brand new vehicle I ever owned turned out to be the biggest POS I ever owned.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
My brand new explorer spent more time at the dealer chasing gremlins then on the road. Only brand new vehicle I ever owned turned out to be the biggest POS I ever owned.
We had one in 11 when the new Explorer came out. All of that Microsoft crap on it was a joke and never worked right. Did not keep it long, as Ford had a recall on them, but was only working on, but had no fix. Traded for a 12 Expedition which we still have. We only had the 3.5 non turbo which is what I presume you had, as the 3.5 Ecoboost Sport model has not been out long and are hard to find. But that New Sport which only comes in all wheel drive, could very well be the most capable, powerfull V6 SUV on the road. And a fully loaded one is right at 50K. Ouch.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The 3.5 EB is de-rated in the Explorer to 365hp/350tq
I knew the tq was de-rated, but couldn't remember the number and didn't think anybody would know the difference or care. I hate to see Ford do this, as the more torque the better.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #13

I had an 08 with the v6. Traded for a suburban with the 6.0 Believe it or not they got the same gas mileage.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #14

Have you thought about or considered the new 2014 Dodge Durango? V6 with factory installed tow package - 6200lbs, V8 with factory installed tow package 7200lbs.