Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
GPW

Changing tires???

Guys , I think I'm about do for a total tire change ... The trailer has been sitting for 3 years now outside, no wheel covers ... The tires aren't worn at all , but I'm worried about Rot ... Is there a date code ?
Got tandem (4) wheels ... do I just jack the whole trailer up and put some blocks under it ... pull all 5 wheels and get them replaced... Didn't want to drag the trailer to a dealer for that , although it would be easy ... I dunno??? What do you guys do ???
I was thinking while the wheels are off , could service/re-pack the bearings , check the seals , etc.
My camping /EVAC season is from June to Nov. so I have to do all this maintenance during the winter , which is usually mild, like today ...72 deg. ... perfect for working on the TT

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #2

I think you are absolutely correct. If you are able to do the work, then it is a perfect time to pack wheel bearings and check brakes, clean things up or whatever. Also, if it's on jacks you may want to hold off getting the new tires until right before your ready for a trip. Tires will be that much newer.

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
GPW

Thanks John , that's a Great idea !!!
Was thinking of using concrete blocks stacked in 4s like a pillar on each corner.... think that's enough ... it weighs 3500 lbs.
Reason is , I could use the concrete blocks later as a base for my outdoor wood fired Pizza and Bread oven .. trying to be practical ...
Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #4

I think if they are 8" block built in a pier, then they will be fine. I'm gonna want a loaf of that bread...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
...Is there a date code?...
All tires manufactured after 2000 have a 4-digit code molded into the sidewall. The first 2 digits are the week of manufacture, and the second 2 digits are the year. For example, 0304 would be the third week of 2004. Before 2000, the date codes were only 3 digits. The number could be mounted to the inside, so you might have to pull the tires off to see it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
8 years from manufacture is the magic number for replacement
Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
8 years from manufacture is the magic number for replacement
Maybe (I'd replace after 5 or 6 years), but for tires that have been sitting in one place for 3 years, and particularly without tire covers, I'd get new tires before making any long trip. YMMV.

As for the date code, it's usually found on the side of the tire that faces inward, so you'll have to crawl under the rig with a flashlight and look for it. The date will be at the end of a long string of numbers that begin with "DOT."
Old 11-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
GPW

Thanks , I know where to look now ...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #9

It is harder on tires to just sit than roll down the road. Mine failed - ply separation- after 3 years. Our trailer does not sit for over 2-3 months at once. It's called hitch itch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #10

Nothing wrong with using concrete blocks as suggested however place wood between frame and blocking to distribute the weight over the block. You will still have to support the axles also whils wheels are off
Old 11-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
GPW

I think they're torsion axles ... how do I do that ???
Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #12

I would change them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Damage.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	6915  
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #13
GPW

Amazing the damage a blown tire will do to a trailer ... Doesn't do that with cars ...??? Could it be the thicker wall tires or just the lack of reinforcement in the fender well ???
I'm definitely changing mine ... just waiting till the last minute to do so ... as suggested ^...
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #14
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
Amazing the damage a blown tire will do to a trailer ... Doesn't do that with cars ...??? Could it be the thicker wall tires or just the lack of reinforcement in the fender well ???
I'm definitely changing mine ... just waiting till the last minute to do so ... as suggested ^...
It may be that in a car you know when it happens. With a trailer sometimes it may be a while before you realize something is wrong.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote